1949 Changmoo Kwan Demo

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Chapter 1, Section 4 of Kang Won Sik and Lee Kyong Myong’s “A History of Modern Taekwondo,” there is detail about a “Yun Moo” demo held by Yoon Byung In’s YMCA Kwon Bup Bu (Changmoo Kwan) on June 24, 1949. According to the book's account, “PARK Chul Hee demonstrated the "Jak Do Kwon", PARK Ki Tae demonstrated "Bong Kwon" and Chung Do Kwan's SON Duk Sung, UHM Woon Kyu and LEE Yong Woo demonstrated Chan Jo.”

Do any of you know what those forms (I am assuming they are forms) are, and is there any video of the same available in the public domain? I am really interested in knowing how closely those forms resembled the two arts Yoon Byung In studied: Manchurian Chuan Fa and Toyama Kanken’s Shudokan Karate.

I’ve have Changmoo Kwon wan lineage and will ask my kwanjang the same questions, but I am wondering if any of you might have any information to share.

9BlackTigers

White Belt
Reaction score
In Chapter 1, Section 4 of Kang Won Sik and Lee Kyong Myong’s “A History of Modern Taekwondo,” there is detail about a “Yun Moo” demo held by Yoon Byung In’s YMCA Kwon Bup Bu (Changmoo Kwan) on June 24, 1949. According to the book's account, “PARK Chul Hee demonstrated the "Jak Do Kwon", PARK Ki Tae demonstrated "Bong Kwon" and Chung Do Kwan's SON Duk Sung, UHM Woon Kyu and LEE Yong Woo demonstrated Chan Jo.”

Do any of you know what those forms (I am assuming they are forms) are, and is there any video of the same available in the public domain? I am really interested in knowing how closely those forms resembled the two arts Yoon Byung In studied: Manchurian Chuan Fa and Toyama Kanken’s Shudokan Karate.

I’ve have Changmoo Kwon wan lineage and will ask my kwanjang the same questions, but I am wondering if any of you might have any information to share.

I'll ask around as I'm beginning to research this lineage further.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a video on youtube of a member of the Kang Duk Won performing older Kwan patterns, but they have different names (Pal Gi Kwon, Balsae, and Jang Kwon). The Kang Duk Won has the same lineage back to GM Byun-in Yoon and Park, Chul Hee was one of the Kang Duk Won's co-founders as well as a performer in the demonstration you mentioned. Perhaps the forms mentioned in A Modern History of Taekwondo are alternate names (or just different ones, since Byung-in Yoon was quite proficient at martial arts). You'd really have to get the Hanja and translate them to find out, however.

Pax,

Chris

Latest Discussions