1911 hammer follow?

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I dropped my slide on an empty chamber, no mag (I know its bad for the gun) the hammer dropped to half-cock. When I drop the slide on a loaded mag, or when I fire the gun the hammer stays put. I bent in the left sear spring leaf slightly and the problem went away. I haven't done any trigger work other than light polishing, no metal removal. Should I get a new sear spring or will bending the old one be good enough? If I get a new one, will I have to tune it or should it just be drop in?

Thanks,

Andy

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to be on the safe side, I would get a new one. As far as getting it tuned, I'd see how it felt beforehand. Would you be doing it yourself, or taking it to someone?

Jeff

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll probably drop it in and see how it does. I'm not trying to get a match trigger or bring the weight down to 2 lbs...just want it to be reliable. If the new spring doesn't fix it, I'll probably take it in and have it checked out. It might be a good opportunity for me to upgrade the internals. C&S makes 4.5 trigger pull set that includes a new hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring and mainspring for $116.

https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp...rod&ref=79&cat=1911DI&catstr=HOME:6:43:1911DI

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
C&S has good stuff. Not as "sexy" as some of the other companies out there, but who cares as long as the quality is there. If it were me, I'd get the trigger down to about 4lbs, if not a little lower. Good luck with it.

Jeff