1871 Image - Obi Explanation + Mystery Item Embedded in Sageo

sageo

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a small portion of a 1871 image of a seated individual which has been greatly enlarged. The image has not yet been digitally restored as I am finalizing exactly what the image contains first.

Using various temporary settings in Photoshop has helped to determine what at first glance is not quite clear. The nearly white vertical strip along on the left collar of the haori turns out to be a chain exiting the kimono and entering the hoari - likely for a pocket watch.

I have a couple of mysteries yet to solve and wanted some input:

Obi:

Two bands of the obi can be seen at the left, both of which appear to have unknown symbols on them. The band in the background clearly appears to remain against the waist. The foremost band is drawn forward from the placement of the saya. The obi covering the saya below the sageo is much wider than the two bands on the left. What the wearer of this tanto appears to have done is wear a obi that is entirely folded in half down its length. It appears that a portion of the center band has been unfolded and placed around the saya. Does this make practical sense?

An alternative explanation would be that that there are two bands on the saya. The bottom one is a continuation of the lower left band. The uppermost band on the saya is a small portion of a center band.

Object in Sageo:

Both obi bands fall below a cylinder shaped object that is embedded within the sageo. This object appears to have a partially cut away outer sheath containing a inner cylinder shaped object. You see an additional part of the outer sheath, which appears to be metal, inside the main loop of of the haori-himo. It appears this item is arranged so as to easily remove the center cylinder shaped object. Any idea what this might be?

Untitled.jpg

OP
S

sageo

White Belt
Reaction score
It looks like the end of a knife hilt

Hopefully we are on the same page here.

I am referring to the cylinder shaped object below the tanto's hilt. Its embedded within the sageo.

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 468

Latest Discussions