?

M

Mon Mon

Just out of curiousity how many of you think it would be funny to shoot a squirell with a 338 or 460?

OP
W

wadowoman

Aboslutely not! And what a jolly strange question.
Sharon

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mon Mon said:
Just out of curiousity how many of you think it would be funny to shoot a squirell with a 338 or 460?
You assume the numbers 338 and 460 mean something to me?

OP
M

Mon Mon

michaeledward said:
You assume the numbers 338 and 460 mean something to me?

338 and 460 are high powered rifels a 460 is used like to hunt elephants and rhinos while a 338 can be used for bear hunting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to blast a squirrel apart?

If you're hunting squirrels with a much smaller caliber and intend to eat the meat, then okay.

- Ceicei

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mon Mon said:

Maybe in a Beavis and Buthead episode level of entertainment, but as a responsible firearms user, doesn't that seem awefully silly to try or even discuss?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether or not it would be funny depends on your personal point of view...me personally, I'm not going to waste the money on a squirell to find out (the ammo for a .338 Winchester Magnum runs around 25.00/box and the ammo for a .460 Weatherby Magnum is about 100.00/box).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mon Mon said:

Dude- Do you have some problem or fixation with guns? Cuz it sure sounds that way to me.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Dude- Do you have some problem or fixation with guns? Cuz it sure sounds that way to me.

Mike

Amen, MJS, or at least there seems to be a lack of responsibility. Back to our knife/gun discussion, I wouldn't trust him with either :)

OP
M

Mon Mon

Im sorry to hear that it was just a question. And i must say to judge based on a message board is really silly. Thats all i have to say.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

oh geez...fruitcake questions...yeah, let's go trigger happy...What disturbed mind thought up this question?...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mon Mon said:
Im sorry to hear that it was just a question. And i must say to judge based on a message board is really silly. Thats all i have to say.

Its silly??? Well pal, when you say something stupid like that it makes people wonder. And I wasnt the only one wondering either!!! Now, if we were having a more intelligent conversation....well, maybe my opinion would be a little different. And what exactly is the thrill of shooting an animal like that anyway?????????????

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Amen, MJS, or at least there seems to be a lack of responsibility. Back to our knife/gun discussion, I wouldn't trust him with either :)

Right on man!!!! I 2nd that!!!!

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mon Mon said:

I have had this discussion before, and I am guilty of it as well, but if it isn't appropriate in person, it shouldn't be appropriate here. My reaction to your post is the same one I would have if we were in the same room.

It is a waste of ammunition, irresponsible and cruel to kill something for personal enterainment and not out of either necessity of self defense or food. The rest of the shooting time should be prep for either event. I don't even like Wood Chuck hunting because I wouldn't take the meat.

Now, someday when I get my falconry license, mayby Chuck hunting would be okay, because I could use the meat to feed the bird...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a site out there somewhere that a buddy emailed to me that is basically videos of a couple of guys with scoped, high-power hunting rifles shooting prairie dogs, and watching the things get hit and splatter. Is this sick, I think so, but hey there are people out there that think that attacking the homeless is a sport. I don't have a problem with picking off pests for target practice, it's a two fold benefit, but taping it and playing it online is a little twisted.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
There is a site out there somewhere that a buddy emailed to me that is basically videos of a couple of guys with scoped, high-power hunting rifles shooting prairie dogs, and watching the things get hit and splatter. Is this sick, I think so, but hey there are people out there that think that attacking the homeless is a sport. I don't have a problem with picking off pests for target practice, it's a two fold benefit, but taping it and playing it online is a little twisted.
Ground hogs are the varmint of choice around here. Their burrows can flip a tractor in the field in a heart beat. They have excellent self preservation skills and about the only way to hit one is from a good distance. Even at that, though an extremely high power rifle isn't neccesary. As for taping it and showing it to your buddies at the house (let alone on the net) makes ya wonder. As for the initial question I'll admit to wondering what it would be like to shoot a squirrel with a large caliber rifle. Thought about it after sitting in the woods deer hunting for hours on end when I was 12 or 13 years old and even then never took action on the thought.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

I think some people have entirely too much time on their hands.

I am suprised he didnt ask how many people think getting a stick of lit dynamite and playing fetch with a dog would be cool.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Varmint hunting is pretty popular in a lot of areas with high prairie dog concentrations. They generally use high-velocity, lower-caliber ammunition, like .223. The challenge is hitting a very small target from very far away. I don't go in for this sort of stuff as I eat everything I kill, and there's not much left in these instances. Plus prairie dog is not real safe (or tasty, from what I've heard) to eat.

I can appreciate how there is skill in the sport, but it is disturbing how some people revel in that level of violence. No empathy whatsoever. Hard to believe how anyone can be so disrespectful of life.

There's an interesting animated movie called "Fantastic Planet" in which humans try to survive on a world populated by giant humanoids that keep humans as pets and kill them at will. Sorta brings humans down to the prairie-dog level.

OP
M

Mon Mon

psi_radar said:
Varmint hunting is pretty popular in a lot of areas with high prairie dog concentrations. They generally use high-velocity, lower-caliber ammunition, like .223. The challenge is hitting a very small target from very far away. I don't go in for this sort of stuff as I eat everything I kill, and there's not much left in these instances. Plus prairie dog is not real safe (or tasty, from what I've heard) to eat.

I can appreciate how there is skill in the sport, but it is disturbing how some people revel in that level of violence. No empathy whatsoever. Hard to believe how anyone can be so disrespectful of life.

There's an interesting animated movie called "Fantastic Planet" in which humans try to survive on a world populated by giant humanoids that keep humans as pets and kill them at will. Sorta brings humans down to the prairie-dog level.

Thanks i do my best to have a blatant disreguard for life. :mp5: Oh and the Dog and Dynamite idea funny too! lol :rolleyes:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Thanks Tim

:sniper:

I had a feeling you'd like that one.

:bomb:

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Mon Mon said:
Thanks i do my best to have a blatant disreguard for life. :mp5: Oh and the Dog and Dynamite idea funny too! lol :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions