120 Minutes/Post-Modern MTV/"Alternative" Fans?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This:

"They added more different and increasingly diverse acts to their format over time and plenty of local rock and even some of the earliest Seattle grunge. KJET also introduced Seattle to R.E.M., Kate Bush, Bauhaus, Camper Van Beethoven, 54-40, The Cocteau Twins, Lloyd Cole, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Nina Hagen, Robyn Hitchcock, Siouxsie & The Banshees and countless other alternative rock acts."

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Soon I will no longer be working my part-time job. Oh, and all the fights in which I have to engage for my kids will be over. (Long story!) When those things settle, the search will be on for the new source of alternative music, AKA "the soundtrack for my life."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This:

"They added more different and increasingly diverse acts to their format over time and plenty of local rock and even some of the earliest Seattle grunge. KJET also introduced Seattle to R.E.M., Kate Bush, Bauhaus, Camper Van Beethoven, 54-40, The Cocteau Twins, Lloyd Cole, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Nina Hagen, Robyn Hitchcock, Siouxsie & The Banshees and countless other alternative rock acts."
Yeah, this is about the time I started listening. I was in high school from 84-88, and this was about the only radio I listened to.

Also, I can't even begin to tell you how those concerts influenced my musical taste. They were free, just about every week during the Summer and, unless I'm misremembering, they would have two local bands each play a 1 hour set.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, this is about the time I started listening. I was in high school from 84-88, and this was about the only radio I listened to.

Also, I can't even begin to tell you how those concerts influenced my musical taste. They were free, just about every week during the Summer and, unless I'm misremembering, they would have two local bands each play a 1 hour set.

There was a radio station here that used to have local bands in to play live. I don't just mean acoustic either. They would give them a full setup for a loud, hard rockin' show.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
107.7 still does that. Called End Sessions (the radio station is KNDD the End). Pretty cool.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
107.7 still does that. Called End Sessions (the radio station is KNDD the End). Pretty cool.

Where is that broadcast out of? If it was in that article, I missed it. Do they stream online?

Also, let me know if you go check out that Beyond the Wall of Sleep show. I have recommended it to more people than I can count, but no one has said anything so I don't know if anyone has ever checked it out!

When I was trying to do my own weekly podcast, I reached out to the host Devon. He replied back a few times. Really cool guy. I just hope he puts the show back out there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I haven't checked out the podcast, but I will. Sounds neat. The radio station is local to Seattle, but I do believe they stream.

However, I will say I don't know what they really play anymore. I don't listen to the radio often, and when I do now I like KEXP, which is much more like the old alternative stations. They play all kinds of stuff. www.kexp.org. KEXP is associated with the Experience Music Project (now called the Museum of Pop Culture). This was the brain child of Paul Allen, who had an extensive Jimi Hendrix collection. They now do exhibits on Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, horror movies, and all kinds of things, plus live concerts, rooms where you can play guitars or drums, and exhibits on different bands including Hendrix and Nirvana, both Seattle area products.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't checked out the podcast, but I will. Sounds neat. The radio station is local to Seattle, but I do believe they stream.

However, I will say I don't know what they really play anymore. I don't listen to the radio often, and when I do now I like KEXP, which is much more like the old alternative stations. They play all kinds of stuff. www.kexp.org. KEXP is associated with the Experience Music Project (now called the Museum of Pop Culture). This was the brain child of Paul Allen, who had an extensive Jimi Hendrix collection. They now do exhibits on Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, horror movies, and all kinds of things, plus live concerts, rooms where you can play guitars or drums, and exhibits on different bands including Hendrix and Nirvana, both Seattle area products.

I should clarify: Beyond the Wall was on an actual radio station. When I think of "podcasts," I think of some people recording a show in their bedroom or home office and uploading it to a website somewhere...much like I did with MY podcast, "Die, Covers, Die!!!"

And yes, I am very familiar with KEXP. They play the kind of stuff I used to hear only at midnight on Sundays via 120 Minutes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I should clarify: Beyond the Wall was on an actual radio station. When I think of "podcasts," I think of some people recording a show in their bedroom or home office and uploading it to a website somewhere...much like I did with MY podcast, "Die, Covers, Die!!!"

And yes, I am very familiar with KEXP. They play the kind of stuff I used to hear only at midnight on Sundays via 120 Minutes.
If you're ever in Seattle, I'll take you to the museum. I think you'd dig it.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're ever in Seattle, I'll take you to the museum. I think you'd dig it.

Man, I wish. I can barely even make it 2 hours north to visit my father. :-(

Maybe someday though. Things are on the right path, now that I got that grade 13 job.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, you can find my podcast by going to Archive.org and typing in "Die Covers Die." I posted 26 episodes before I had to call it a day due not only to time constraints, but due to the fact that I kept getting submissions from the same bands over and over.

Latest Discussions