12 section knife form?

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Hunter. Great post.
So by wrist 'breaking' you mean articulating the wrist versus keeping it aligned with the forearm correct?
Man it would be so much easier and nicer to have this conversation in person! Ha ha. You said you are no longer living in FL right? :(
Back to questions then:
1) does either of your two knife forms involve any kicks?
2) you mentioned "reverse slicing"...so does either of your two knife forms involve reversing the blade during the form? (like you see if watching Yip Chun's form, etc)?
3) in order to get a better idea of what you are discussing with us...are there any videos of Lo Kwai's knife form that you know of...or do you know of any footage out there that is close to it?

Thanks again for the discussion!
Thanks for that awesome reply Hunter. I think I'm following you on a lot of it. Or at least I think I am. hahaha.

I'm sure there would be a few from this forum that would attend your Florida seminar once you coordinate it. I'm assuming you are waiting until after this covid thing calms down a bit?
I remember now...you are out in NM. Northwest side of ABQ correct? I'm back out there in Nov timeframe for a week long business trip.

Yup in Rio Rancho. If you want to get together when you are here let me know. I could wrangle up Phil Romero and we could have a great wing chun lunch or dinner!

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yup in Rio Rancho. If you want to get together when you are here let me know. I could wrangle up Phil Romero and we could have a great wing chun lunch or dinner!

Sounds like a plan!!!

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are right. So much easier in person. I have trouble being articulate on forums. I second to show you could be 20 paragraphs to try to explain. By breaking I mean if you make a fist everything is aligned and then you bend the fist forward so the fist is pointed down.

Form does have some kicks. By reverse slice I mean as an example if I slice high to low and then come back low to high, We do have moving to the reverse grip. Several variations are trained in the last section.

I am not aware of any public videos however the big differences are not the sections per say but rather more movements and more movements tied together also I think more real combat usage emphasis. I have seen forms where they bring one blade inside the arm of the other blade or turn the blade on a qwan dao for example where the blade at one point faces their own body.

The form is basically like Yip man in structure. A section that introduces the method. 3 times Like qwan dao right left right and then a part that takes the method and moves the method forward and back 4 times however the moment phase ties the base method with other supporting methods. Using qwan dao moving back and to the side the qwan covers,connects and sinks the incoming weapon then double horizontal slice forward, in practice one blade is meant to continue to control the attacking weapon while the free blade attacks and then a small bui ma and a double high to low slice. This is repeating 4 times in all while moving backward per side.Once comfortable you reverse the section and this becomes the moving forward section and the forward becomes the backward. It is like this for 12 sections . The salute is not considered a section.

Not in Florida but I was planning to visit Florida to give a free seminar on weapons and Dummy to anyone interested before Covid hit.

Hi Hunschuld,

Thank you for your very informative and interesting posts.

When you say the movements are more tied together, does this bear any any similarity to the flow?

Narendra Mistry

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Hunschuld,

Thank you for your very informative and interesting posts.

When you say the movements are more tied together, does this bear any any similarity to the flow?

Narendra Mistry

Did some digging and this guy stems from the Lee Shing lineage. Not sure if that has ties to Lo Kwai or not(?)

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did some digging and this guy stems from the Lee Shing lineage. Not sure if that has ties to Lo Kwai or not(?)

Just being curious.

Lee shing learnt from Fung ju (leung jan to Wong wah sum branch) and yip man/jiu wan (leung jan to chan wah shun branch) he is also said to have visited various wing chun masters in Vietnam and Taiwan in the 70s.

I readily hold my hands up when I say I am just trying to see if there is a similarity in approach to the knives to lo kwai lineage.

Should add the clip is not a form just a demonstration of the knife theory.

Latest Discussions