100 pushups by Christmas

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Okay, people. As promised, 25!
Furthermore, I was able to knock out all of the five sets of 20 in class tonight, no problem.
We are so getting there!

Another reminder... there is no "time limit" on this. That is, if it takes one more than two minutes to knock out "The Big 100", then so be it. It may take three minutes, whatever.

Oh, this is going to be one memorable holiday season. I can almost smell that holly tree now!

HOOah!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I saw this thread late but I'm as well! We need 100 pushups and 200 situps for our blackbelt test anyway, so it's all good.

At the moment I can pop out 40 pushups well and correctly, and another 65 situps immediately after. I generally get my 40 in and go right to situps, so I'll see about stretching it this evening. I'll aim for 45 and see how it goes, if it goes well I'll keep going and see where I end up.

jim

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I did 80 straight tonight in class. We dropped and pushed out our max. I got to 80. This was like an hour and a half into class. I'd probably done around 200 pushups already at that point. So I think I may be able to get 100 now in one go. I'm might give it a go on Monday....let you know how I went!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've managed to get up to 60 with fingers out, but I started to feel the old carpal tunnel coming back in my right arm, so I've switched to doing them on my fists (which seems much better for my arm) and I can still do 45. I'll have to see what I can do to get up to 100 without killing my right wrist. Still going though :D

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've managed to get up to 60 with fingers out, but I started to feel the old carpal tunnel coming back in my right arm, so I've switched to doing them on my fists (which seems much better for my arm) and I can still do 45. I'll have to see what I can do to get up to 100 without killing my right wrist. Still going though :D

Yeah, I need to get another max count to see where I stand. I was going to do them on my fists all along. Wonder why your count is lower using the fists rather than the palms? I would think it would be the same.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Thats easy :ultracool....... :uhohh: or do you mean all at the same time? :uhyeah:

I will give it a go.

All at the same time, BUT --> you can assume an "authorized rest position", no time limit. Still, that will be a stretch for me. And, I'm running out of time!

You can vary anything according to how you wish to do it, of course. You can vary the number or any other constraint on your own contest, no problem. Different people may wish to achieve different results, and so on.

I am starting to fear that I will fail. But I am not giving up hope yet. Two months is still a good amount of time. If I succeed, I will get a friend with a video camera to post up evidence of my doing this -- a video display of the feat for all to view.

Robert

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Newguy12, We are now using the plan you give us for most of out excercises's (for our Kempo Classes)

We adopted the muliple sets for push-ups, sit-ups, jump roping (we always done it that way), but more will be added

The program makes alot sense to built up to 100 or more! Thank-you for sharing, .........Aloha

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No kidding? That's great news!

I am going to start to also practice with an American Kenpo Teacher. He and I once had the same instructor, and now he has a school. He knows ground fighting techniques, of course, and it will be good!

I'm not jumping rope (yet), also, I don't do situps. I do crunches and leg lifts instead. I'm also going to do the Legendary Abs routine. The weight lifting is coming along nicely, my knee is feeling much better because of it!

Right! --> pushups on the knuckles on concrete! That's "Old-School" Style!!!

ALOHA!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
No kidding? That's great news!

I am going to start to also practice with an American Kenpo Teacher. He and I once had the same instructor, and now he has a school. He knows ground fighting techniques, of course, and it will be good!

I'm not jumping rope (yet), also, I don't do situps. I do crunches and leg lifts instead. I'm also going to do the Legendary Abs routine. The weight lifting is coming along nicely, my knee is feeling much better because of it!

Right! --> pushups on the knuckles on concrete! That's "Old-School" Style!!!

ALOHA!

Hello, Jumping rope...is more than just jumping and building stamia...it builds upper body, lower body, tone, helps strenghting the lower back, build coordination, and there are many different routines too! Much more too! oh legs the calves, thighs ....

That is why Boxers, wrestlers, and most martial artist do them! Start slow and build up! Most pro-boxer can go 30 minutes or more.

One of the few excersies most people don't like! ...is consider one of the more better ones for all us!

Just my opinion here........Aloha

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey SL...I agree with you about skipping. And I love skipping. I jump rope everyday!!! :)

I was going to do it the other week, but I've been lazy and delayed my 100 pushups!!! Until tonight that is!!! I did a sparring session with my mate at the gym, and before we started we both got down and did the pushups!!! I got 100 straight, normal grip (palms on floor and slightly wider than shoulder width). I might start working towards 100 Dips now. I'd say the most I've done in one go is around 30? Though I've never really tried to do more and usually strrap some weight to myself...