10 basic strikes of gumdo

J

jjanke

Does anyone here know a link to descriptions of the "10 basic gumdo strikes"? Has anyone ever heard of these before? thanks, jjanke

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not found a link for Gumdo specifically, but I will continue searching.

Two suggestions:

Cross-post once in the Korean Martial Arts - General forum. If there are some Gumdo people out there who look there, you might get more specific feedback.

Also, buy a book called IAI - The Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrell Craig. Although it is based upon the Japanese sword art, many things are applied across the specific influences of borders. The eight directions are in that book, though the Korean influence includes two more.

I will look further into my notes to see if I have an illustration I can post or describe.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
10 strikes? I study kendo, which is the Japanese root of kumdo, and have had some exposure to kumdo itself, but as far as I've seen, there are only 8 basic strikes.

hidari-men (strike to the left side of the helmet)
men (strike to the center of the helmet)
migi-men (strike to the right side of the helmet)
hidari-kote (strike to the left gauntlet)
migi-kote (strike to the right gauntlet)
hidari-do (strike to the left side of the breastplate)
migi-do (strike to the right side of the breastplate)
tsuki (strike to the throat)

These are the Japanese terms (I don't claim to be able to spell the Korean ones). I assume these are what you're referring to, unless I'm completely off and you're talking about Haidong-gumdo, which is a different art altogether.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Also, buy a book called IAI - The Art of Drawing the Sword by Darrell Craig. Although it is based upon the Japanese sword art, many things are applied across the specific influences of borders. The eight directions are in that book, though the Korean influence includes two more.
Craig Sensei has a number of books on sword work for those who are interested. I believe he just published another one this summer and he has a video and book set on Mugai Ryu.

OP
J

jjanke

I don't really know how to answer that. My teacher is grandmaster Soon Pil Hong from Niles,MI, and he teaches WTF taekwondo and gumdo, there is no special name before it. I was taught, when facing off:
Knock sword to left, head strike
Knock sword to right with a little twist, head strike
2 more chest strikes, 2 more side strikes,
knock sword down right, decapitate
knock sword down left, decapitate
and then the last two are 3 move combinations, like knock away sword, strike wrist, strike head

I have successfully done a horrible job explaining what I was taught. :)
I have cross posted to the korean gumdo forum.
Thanks for the help!
jjanke

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Craig Sensei has a number of books on sword work for those who are interested. I believe he just published another one this summer and he has a video and book set on Mugai Ryu.

Mr. Craig's connection to the Mugai Ryu is controversial as is that book and most of his previous book on Iai. I'd strongly recommend doing some research on various fora including http://www.e-budo.com and http://www.swordforum.com before spending any money.

OP
S

ShadowKnight

Hello, Im new to this forum.

I have recently become a student of Koryo Gumdo. These are the different strikes I know. Dont know names in Korean yet, sorry.

1. Front cut
2. Left cross cut
3. Right cross cut
4. Rising cut
5. left diagonal cut.
6. Right diagonal cut
7. Left diagonal rising cut
8. Right diagonal rising cut
9. Thrust
10. Inverted or overhand thrust

I am a student at Martial Arts America and my master is John P. Wood, 6th dan black belt.

brad

White Belt
Reaction score
Remember, the question was Gumdo cuts, not Kumdo/Kendo cuts. In Gumdo the target zone can be anywhere on the opponent.
From another thread, this list looks correct:

Cuts:
Front Downward Cut - Jung myung baegi OR Ahp nae-di-yo baegi
Right Downward Cut - Orun jok nae-di-yo baegi
Left Downward Cut - Wen jok nae-di-yo baegi
Left Crossing Cut - Wen jok chook myeun baegi
Right Crossing Cut - Orun jok chook myeun baegi
Left Upward Cut - Wen jok ollyo baegi
Right Upward Cut - o-ruen jok ollyo baegi
Front Upward Cut - Ahp ollyo baegi
Clockwise Cut - Sheegae bong hyung baegi
Counter Clockwise Cut - Sheegae bondae bong hyung baegi

Thrusts:
Front Thrust - Ahp jerugi
Left Thrust - Wen jok jerugi
Right Thrust - Orun jok jerugi

There's also an over-the-head thrust behind you in several forms, plus a short thrust directly to the rear you learn in Yedo 3. I'm not sure what the Korean names are for those.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This link gives a list of basic stances, cuts, and strikes for haedong gumdo in Korean, with English explanations and mp3 files for proper Korean pronunciation, all in the top section of the page. (Note: there are other strikes used in the art, but these are the ones used most often).
Basic cuts include: cheon myung begi (downward center cut),
Chwa-U begi (approx. 15 degree downward cuts from left and right of center),
Sam Dan Begi (combination of center, left, and right downward cuts),
Hweng dan begi (horizontal cut, from left or right),
Bi Kyo Begi (downward diagonal cut, approx. 45 degrees from left or from right),
Eulya Begi (not listed; Diagonal upwards cuts, from left or from right),
Kwangcha begi (combination cut, tracing the Chinese character for 'light'),
Chireugi (thrust),
and various moving cuts in different stances.

If you go to this website, and select the clip 2) b). Basic Form, you will see ten basic techniques performed by a Master of the Daehan Haidong Gumdo Federation, the largest world governing body for this art. The video clip is an excerpt from the excellent introductory video, "Haedong Kumdo, Korean Sword Art", available from Turtle Press. Unfortunately, this particular clip emphasizes stances more than strikes.

This YouTube video shows another Daehan Haidong Gumdo master performing a slightly different, stylized variation of the basic cuts and stances in a dojang in Italy.

For those seriously interested in the details, this link shows the basic stances, as presented in the Hankuk Haedong Gumdo Federation (GM Na, Han Il), the second largest world federation for the art.

ADDED ON EDIT: Brad, I'm not sure what you are describing as clockwise and counterclockwise cuts. Would these be the large, over-the-head strikes that almost look like a 'wind-up' (for lack of a better description) into a cut (as in the opening sequence of Shimsang)?

The Old Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
This thread may have gone cold, but just in case anyone is still reading. I think the original question may have been worded imporperly. I am third dan in Hai Dong Gum Do and I think the gentleman may have been refering to the "ten basic techniques". If so repost and I will list them for you.

the Old Wolf

brad

White Belt
Reaction score
Clockwise and counterclockwise cuts are horizontal waist cuts.

Some of the terms I mentioned are spelled wrong.
My apologies for that; I have seen several spellings of some of these terms.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Wolf - My first lesson in Haidong Gumdo is this Friday. I will be studying 1 on 1 with an instructor once a week. I am trying to gather as much information as possible. If you would be so kind as to post the 10 basic techniques, I would greatly appreciate it.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The original description from so long ago sounds a little like variants on what the Haidong Gumdo 'kyuk gum', or one-step sparring techniques. They're not specific strikes, but instead, they're supposed to be relatively high success rate combinations of attacks for sparring with, and each one corresponds to a specific Sang Soo Gumbup form. I wonder if his instructor had a similar set?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So far I've learned the first 3 Gyuk Gum and I'm not sure how many there are total.

As for Basic Techniques....I am up to #8 and I know that there are at least 10 more.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So far I've learned the first 3 Gyuk Gum and I'm not sure how many there are total.

As for Basic Techniques....I am up to #8 and I know that there are at least 10 more.

There are 12 kyuk gum - As I said, one corresponding to each of the Ssang Soo Gum Bup. If there are formal kyuk gum to accompany Ye Do and the higher forms, I have yet to see them.

The Basics exercises are such a mess for me right now. Sabomnim went off to Korea for a couple weeks and came back with a huge pile of stance and cutting exercises, I can never remember them all. :eek:

brad

White Belt
Reaction score
There are no kyuk gum for Yedo.
Doesn't keep your instructors from finding new things wrong with what you already knew previously, though, so don't feel like there won't be enough to learn.
However, there will be balchukgums to learn soon (if not already) as part of the new curriculum, as well as throw cutting. And, of course, all the formalized cutting techniques.
One of the things I like about HDGD is there is always more to learn.