1 week transformation

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you ever done Jiu Jitsu? Because you can learn the techniques fine and easy and drill them in class but literally everyone says when you get to free rolling it's way way harder to pull off. In most places you get a stripe when you can hold your own in rolling and win a few rolls. Most people it takes at the very least 4 months to get a stripe and I didn't see anything in that video that showed the kid was capable of holding his own against a white belt
well you didn't see anything that's says he can't.

if you look at the video of the attack, a kid much smaller than him beats him up whilst he makes no attempt at all to defend himself.
people are bullied not because they can't fight back, but because they don't, , now after say twenty hours of training he is in a position to know he can fight back, its that psychological shift that's most important rather than the,actual skills learnt.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well you didn't see anything that's says he can't.

if you look at the video of the attack, a kid much smaller than him beats him up whilst he makes no attempt at all to defend himself.
people are bullied not because they can't fight back, but because they don't, , now after say twenty hours of training he is in a position to know he can fight back, its that psychological shift that's most important rather than the,actual skills learnt.
That doesn't mean he deserves a stripe because he thinks he can fight...rank should be based on skill not personality

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't mean he deserves a stripe because he thinks he can fight...rank should be based on skill not personality
but you have nothing at all to base your assumption that he has little,skill on, you have just concluded that to be so.

but the issue is can he now make a reasonable attempt at defending himself, 20 hours of expert tuition says he should be far better than he,was, allowing that he made no attempt at all to defend against a smaller attacker. So anything is an improvement

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
how many hours did he train,? We don't know, let's say 20 that's equivalent to 20 weeks at an hour a week, how is that not sufficient to gain a strip and a large benefit from it ?

it really doesn't take long to teach someone to be able to defend them shelves against an untrained attacker
you quoted my post but i am not making any judgement on the effectiveness of what he received. my point was the authenticity of Rener in his desire to help the kid. i have had kid students who where "in a bad situation" and i just gave him free lessons for as long as he wanted to show up. and i didnt make a big deal about it. no one knew but him, me and his parents.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No not really you probably underestimate what kids are capable firstly you don't know if the bully has any training himself and most likely the bully would be bigger than him and stronger than him and would be punching fully trying to hurt him with every single shot and would be doing more than just punches. You don't seem to be able to understand there's a huge difference between sparring and a real fight. But okay I can't be bothered to explain it again if you believe he's invincible after a few weeks then fine but that doesn't make it true
well one) he is 24now, and a noted hard man of these parts .
he was being bullied because he very soft, he was being brought up by his mum and grand mum, and had no male role model, I took him under my wing and toughened him up, and tought him to fight, it worked, the bully went down with a tkd kick in the teeth and never bothered him again. Why are you disputing the value of learning to fight, its not the bjj is king nonsense again is it.

as a young man I learnt to fight to a better than good standard with out any training what so ever, he just needed a little help to believe in him self and then off he went.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well one) he is 24now, and a noted hard man of these parts .
he was being bullied because he very soft, he was being brought up by his mum and grand mum, and had no male role model, I took him under my wing and toughened him up, and tought him to fight, it worked, the bully went down with a tkd kick in the teeth and never bothered him again. Why are you disputing the value of learning to fight, its not the bjj is king nonsense again is it.

as a young man I learnt to fight to a better than good standard with out any training what so ever, he just needed a little help to believe in him self and then off he went.
No it isn't its the fact you can't get good in a few weeks and he's a noted hard man? That's not something to be proud of you know. The toughest people are the ones who don't need to give themselves a reputation.

Ahhh now I get it your trying to tell us all how good a teacher you are by making him good in a couple weeks

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you quoted my post but i am not making any judgement on the effectiveness of what he received. my point was the authenticity of Rener in his desire to help the kid. i have had kid students who where "in a bad situation" and i just gave him free lessons for as long as he wanted to show up. and i didnt make a big deal about it. no one knew but him, me and his parents.
you were suggesting that a free week wasn't enough to make a difference, I can't see any problem publicising self defence for kids being bullied, its not like the graces need publicity from this

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it isn't its the fact you can't get good in a few weeks and he's a noted hard man? That's not something to be proud of you know. The toughest people are the ones who don't need to give themselves a reputation.

Ahhh now I get it your trying to tell us all how good a teacher you are by making him good in a couple weeks
no, I help a kid realise he could look after himself, he only had to be good enough to beat another nine you,up, what he has learnt after that is entirely down to him.

you seem to be basing this on yourself and your limitations,people can get quite good at a lot of things with a few weeks practise.

when he,was about 18 there was a bit of road rage developing over a parking space, I was about to get out and have a word with this chap, when he jumps out and says" talk to me like that and il push your teeth down your throat" I thought my work here is done

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
you were suggesting that a free week wasn't enough to make a difference, I can't see any problem publicising self defence for kids being bullied, its not like the graces need publicity from this
Jobo my friend, i kinda like you but man you got an issue about reading things that people didnt actually say or write. i never said or even came close to saying a free week wasnt enough to learn anything. what i said was if Rener was doing it for the right reasons he would have given him more.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jobo my friend, i kinda like you but man you got an issue about reading things that people didnt actually say or write. i never said or even came close to saying a free week wasnt enough to learn anything. what i said was if Rener was doing it for the right reasons he would have given him more.

From what I gathered, the kid wasn't local and they paid to fly his family out. I'm really not sure how he could have given him more.

Especially their Bulletproof program, which is targeted for a younger audience, it's really just about teaching them confidence and how to confront a situation more so than "here's how to hit a flying armbar against a trained grappler". IMO, a week of hanging out and having one on one training and being introduced to a different lifestyle is more than enough to have an effect on the kid.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I gathered, the kid wasn't local and they paid to fly his family out. I'm really not sure how he could have given him more.

Especially their Bulletproof program, which is targeted for a younger audience, it's really just about teaching them confidence and how to confront a situation more so than "here's how to hit a flying armbar against a trained grappler". IMO, a week of hanging out and having one on one training and being introduced to a different lifestyle is more than enough to have an effect on the kid.
Watch the second video I posted they show the girl doing a flying arm bar

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Watch the second video I posted they show the girl doing a flying arm bar

I watched the video and her technique was actually pretty damn good for someone training for a week. They probably threw it in there for fun but notice her talking about boundaries and they probably did the same of giving the family some mats and DVDs to practice together. It's about getting them started on a journey together as a family.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched the video and her technique was actually pretty damn good for someone training for a week. They probably threw it in there for fun but notice her talking about boundaries and they probably did the same of giving the family some mats and DVDs to practice together. It's about getting them started on a journey together as a family.
My main thing is why show it. They want to help then great but why does it need to be filmed and the video of the girl being assaulted shared to an even wider audience. Why can't they just do it without having to make a fuss over it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Il copy it down later, but you said a week wasn't sufficient he should have been given an on going free lesson, or something very much like that, have another read of what you posted

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My main thing is why show it. They want to help then great but why does it need to be filmed and the video of the girl being assaulted shared to an even wider audience. Why can't they just do it without having to make a fuss over it
to give encouragement to other bullied kids to seek help

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is how you advertise a brand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly they're using this kid to advertise themselves and nothing more just like hoshin said

Yes and no. There can be two separate motivations at play. They may have genuinely wanted to help the kid. And wanted to advertise their brand.

Our coach puts our classes on snap chat all the time. But we are not training just to be on snap chat.

Latest Discussions