1 week transformation

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

So maybe this has been posted before but I just saw it. This kid got beat up so rener gracie trained him for a week.

Here's my thoughts on this. It was a nice thing to do for a confidence boost but I doubt that kid learnt much at all. I mean he may have learnt some techniques but I very much doubt he could apply them in a real situation. It takes a lot longer than a week to be able to use techniques in free rolling. I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for 3 months 3 times a week and I can only really do an arm bar and a couple of sweeps in free rolling and by the looks of it the kid didnt roll much at all apart from with rener who would've been holding back of course he never went against anyone going 100%.

I don't like this kind of thing because this kid may now have a false sense of security and think he's better than he is, especially after being given a stripe.

Again good job for helping for his confidence but I doubt he learnt much and more likely than not he didn't carry on training either.

Not hating but just my opinion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
he probably learnt a great deal,a week of dedicated training with the graces is not to be sniffed at, its more training than the police get in unarmed combat.
what was probably his biggest lession is he is capable of fighting back, thats where a lot of people being bullied are, its not that they cant defend themselves, he looked 20lbs heavier than his attacker, its that they don't think they can. Some times people need to be given permission to stand up fore themselves,
I watched the transformation of my nephew , who was being heavily bullied, a few weeks of an hour a week at tkd and he was impossible to hit, a few weeks more and his mother got a call from the school, he had knocked the big kid out with a head kick,

but the tkd wasn't really the defining issue, it was the strong role models and the permission to fight back that made the difference

Last edited:
OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
he probably learnt a great deal,a week of dedicated training with the graces is not to be sniffed at, its more training than the police get in unarmed combat.
what was probably his biggest lession is he is capable of fighting back, thats where a lot of people being bullied are, its not that they cant defend themselves, he looked 20lbs heavier than his attacker, its that they don't think they can. Some times people need to be given permission to stand up fore themselves,
I watched the transformation of my nephew , who was being heavily bullied, a few weeks of an hour a week at tkd and he was impossible to hit, a few weeks more and his mother got a call from the school, he had knocked the big kid out with a head kick,

but the tkd wasn't really the defining issue, it was the strong role models and the permission to fight back that made the difference
Impossible to hit after a few weeks...yeah no that's total rubbish sorry. You can train for 50 years and can still get hit. Proffesional fighters who train every day still get hit. Cool story though

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Impossible to hit after a few weeks...yeah no that's total rubbish sorry. You can train for 50 years and can still get hit. Proffesional fighters who train every day still get hit. Cool story though
well that what he was, I couldnt lay a glove on him, with out him blocking or moving,, I was a big strong 35yo he was nine, if I can't hit him other nine yo to have no chance

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im sure Jiu Jitsu but you can't be good at anything in 1 week don't care who's training you

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well that what he was, I couldnt lay a glove on him, with out him blocking me,, I was a big strong 35yo he was nine, if I can't hit him other nine yo to have no chance

Wow you must suck if you can't hit a 9 year old with a few weeks training. I'd go straight to your school and demand your money back if I were you that is if your being honest and not talking crap. So you're either a liar or you got whipped by a 9 year old...

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well that what he was, I couldnt lay a glove on him, with out him blocking or moving,, I was a big strong 35yo he was nine, if I can't hit him other nine yo to have no chance
If you say so

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you say so
well I do, are you doubting me, I could probably have got him with a combination, but he was nine, I aimed a punch at him he blocked it, I aimed another one he,ducked, . If your sparing with a 6ft one Uncle, then your not going to get punched by a 4ft 8 bully in the play ground

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well I do, are you doubting me, I could probably have got him with a combination, but he was nine, I aimed a punch at him he blocked it, I aimed another one he,ducked, . If your sparing with a 6ft one Uncle, then your not going to get punched by a 4ft 8 bully in the play ground
So you were holding back not properly fighting....a 4ft 8 bully isn't going to be holding back he's going to be throwing 100% power punches at 100% speed and he's not going to stop after 1 punch. So you've gone from he's impossible to hit to he blocked a couple of my light punches

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you see what I mean that's exactly what I said about the kid in the video. He can learn the techniques and do it in slow motion but he can't do it in free rolling where they go 100% same with your nephew. He knows a few blocks and can block a few 20% punches that are single shots from his uncle in a light sparring match with gloves on. but I doubt he block a bunch of 100% power punches coming from someone trying to take his head off.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow you must suck if you can't hit a 9 year old with a few weeks training. I'd go straight to your school and demand your money back if I were you that is if your being honest and not talking crap. So you're either a liar or you got whipped by a 9 year old...
well I had the same training as him, this is going off into the usual you have to be able to fight a monster, I used to light spar with him, the punches I threw were real, perhaps not as hard as I could, but his blocks and movement was real, my intent was to a) toughen him up and b) to allow him to practise his blocks and movement. He quickly became impossible to hit, with in the confined of that situation. He had to be able to fight other nine yo, he didn't have to go against a,top notch fighter

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you were holding back not properly fighting....a 4ft 8 bully isn't going to be holding back he's going to be throwing 100% power punches at 100% speed and he's not going to stop after 1 punch. So you've gone from he's impossible to hit to he blocked a couple of my light punches

if i was properly fighting i would have picked him up by the throat and thrown him over a fence, HE WAS NINE, no they wernt all that light, and they were fast, if I would have hit him they would most certainly have hurt him. I suspect my light fast punches are harder and faster than anything a nine yo bully would throw at him.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
if i was properly fighting i would have picked him up by the throat and thrown him over a fence, HE WAS NINE, no they wernt all that light, and they were fast, if I would have hit him they would most certainly have hurt him. I suspect my light fast punches are harder and faster than anything a nine yo bully would throw at him.
No not really you probably underestimate what kids are capable firstly you don't know if the bully has any training himself and most likely the bully would be bigger than him and stronger than him and would be punching fully trying to hurt him with every single shot and would be doing more than just punches. You don't seem to be able to understand there's a huge difference between sparring and a real fight. But okay I can't be bothered to explain it again if you believe he's invincible after a few weeks then fine but that doesn't make it true

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did your sparring look like this?

Don't take it too seriously, Jobo. I'm just having a laugh.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im sure Jiu Jitsu but you can't be good at anything in 1 week don't care who's training you
he doesnt actually have to be good at it, he has to be able to deal with untrained bullies,but then you can improve dramatically at anything with a,week of expert coaching.

I think the UK police get a couple of days training in self defence ,yet they do seem to be able to arrest the bulk of people

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
the good part..... this kid may have realized that there is a solution to the problem that he didnt know existed before. he just needs to follow up and keep training.
but i kind of feel a little bit of disgust with Rener, because to me it looks like he saw an opportunity for some shameless self promotion and that is the only reason he did it. one week...i mean come on. if i had felt some sympathy for some one (and i have actually done this) he should have given him free lessons period, not this one week ..so i can film it and put it on YouTube crap.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
the good part..... this kid may have realized that there is a solution to the problem that he didnt know existed before. he just needs to follow up and keep training.
but i kind of feel a little bit of disgust with Rener, because to me it looks like he saw an opportunity for some shameless self promotion and that is the only reason he did it. one week...i mean come on. if i had felt some sympathy for some one (and i have actually done this) he should have given him free lessons period, not this one week ..so i can film it and put it on YouTube crap.
Yep pretty much my opinion. The whole video felt like a 15 minute advert for his school. Notice even the kids dad was wearing a gracie Jiu Jitsu jumper. Also they gave them some free mats....yeah because that'll help... My main problem is if they felt so strong about this why didnt they just do it and not film it....why did it need to be filmed and uploaded online. All that does is make the kid a bigger target. The bullies could see that and say oh hey you know Jiu Jitsu lets see how good you are and make things worse.

As you said a nice confidence boost and introduction to martial arts but lets not pretend this was done for anything but publicity.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
how many hours did he train,? We don't know, let's say 20 that's equivalent to 20 weeks at an hour a week, how is that not sufficient to gain a strip and a large benefit from it ?

it really doesn't take long to teach someone to be able to defend them shelves against an untrained attacker

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
how many hours did he train,? We don't know, let's say 20 that's equivalent to 20 weeks at an hour a week, how is that not sufficient to gain a strip and a large benefit from it ?

it really doesn't take long to teach someone to be able to defend them shelves against an untrained attacker
Have you ever done Jiu Jitsu? Because you can learn the techniques fine and easy and drill them in class but literally everyone says when you get to free rolling it's way way harder to pull off. In most places you get a stripe when you can hold your own in rolling and win a few rolls. Most people it takes at the very least 4 months to get a stripe and I didn't see anything in that video that showed the kid was capable of holding his own against a white belt

Latest Discussions