0 distance punch

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before you can apply your 0 distance punch, you have to move your hand at the 0 distance position. When you do that, since you have not generated any punching power yet, your arm has no threaten to your opponent. It's easier for your opponent to deal with your arm at that moment.

People may say that 0 distance punch has "no wind up". But to move your hand to the 0 distance position is the wind up.

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you talking about something like the Bruce Lee one inch punch?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you talking about something like the Bruce Lee one inch punch?
Any power generation method without using the distance.

For example, this "leg spring" starts from a distance. People may call this external power generation method.

This "leg spring' starts from no distance. People may call this "internal" power generation method, 0 distance, or no wind up.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Systema we use a short punch, the power generation starts in the legs, but is not trained through a kick/stamp or throw, without a video of your 0 distance punch, it may be difficult to understand what your point is, is the 0 distance punch the same as the 1 inch punch?
There has been speculation recently that the 1 inch punch is a trick taught to WC students, I don't know if that is true, as I have only seen old footage of the technique, but I do know you can generate good power in short striking.
So for clarification is your 0 distance punch the 1 inch punch or are you talking about concealing a strike within your movement.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you start in a Judo grip, one hand grabbing lapel and one grabbing the sleeve... the hand grabbing the lapel is already in position for the 1 inch / 0 distance punch. The target will probably be the collar bone instead of center of the chest.

In a "street" situation, I put my hands up and out, palms facing the other guy, just trying to maintain my space: "Hey, sorry, let talk this out, I am sure we can work this out..." As the guy gets close to my hands, to push me back, I don't have to pull my arm back to hit him. He put himself into the position.

The whole point of the one inch punch training, is to train to deliver a very sudden impact with little to no space. This first strike will give you the opportunity to get to the bigger and better stuff. You can interrupt what is happening, change the dynamic very suddenly with no wind up. But it doesn't have to come (and will probably rarely will) from: "here, let me put my fist an inch away from your chest, while I settle into my stance..." It will more likely be a target of opportunity.

Training it should start in the stance, nice and still, then bang! But thats for learning the principles. Once you learn how to connect your body and explode that way, you need to learn to apply those same principles from other stances and without the stillness.

There is a heavy wooden door at work, that says "Push." As I approach it, I put my hand out to push it open. At the last second, I close my hand into a fist and punch it from half an inch to an inch away. Part of this is to train my hand to hit hard things. The other part is to see if I can punch the door suddenly, from a natural position utilizing the one inch punch principles. Now this isn't a full force punch (yet), I have wussy hands which is why I am trying to toughen them up. But, if you were expecting a gentle push or shove from an open hand, and I punch you this way instead, it will be surprising, I will have got your attention... for better or worse ;)

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thinks it's quite easy to get a hand on their chest or to a grip position.
The main issue is not getting punched in the face or grabbed while getting the hand there.

I don't think there is a valid scenario one could be fighting and place the fist, then deliver power.
If you could set the fist there, why not just punch outright?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In a "street" situation, I put my hands up and out, palms facing the other guy, just trying to maintain my space: "Hey, sorry, let talk this out, I am sure we can work this out..." As the guy gets close to my hands, to push me back, I don't have to pull my arm back to hit him. He put himself into the position.

The whole point of the one inch punch training, is to train to deliver a very sudden impact with little to no space. This first strike will give you the opportunity to get to the bigger and better stuff. You can interrupt what is happening, change the dynamic very suddenly with no wind up. But it doesn't have to come (and will probably rarely will) from: "here, let me put my fist an inch away from your chest, while I settle into my stance..." It will more likely be a target of opportunity.

Training it should start in the stance, nice and still, then bang! But thats for learning the principles. Once you learn how to connect your body and explode that way, you need to learn to apply those same principles from other stances and without the stillness.

There is a heavy wooden door at work, that says "Push." As I approach it, I put my hand out to push it open. At the last second, I close my hand into a fist and punch it from half an inch to an inch away. Part of this is to train my hand to hit hard things. The other part is to see if I can punch the door suddenly, from a natural position utilizing the one inch punch principles. Now this isn't a full force punch (yet), I have wussy hands which is why I am trying to toughen them up. But, if you were expecting a gentle push or shove from an open hand, and I punch you this way instead, it will be surprising, I will have got your attention... for better or worse ;)

Reading that....it’s like I wrote that myself. From the palms up “let’s talk this out” to the heavy wooden door. I’ve been doing both forever.

And it works, I promise you that. I have a very nice one inch punch. Still have very hard fists, too - although I’m sure they’ll weaken at some point. But I still hit some very hard wooden things at work. Off camera, of course.