Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 832

Thread: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

  1. #421
    billc's Avatar
    billc is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    somewhere near Lake Michigan
    Posts
    10,691
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 876 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Some thoughts from Allen Dershowitz...

    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/1...-past-a-judge/

    Four and a half minutes of brutal criticism for prosecutor Angela Corey, whom he accuses straight-out of grandstanding for political gain. It’ll take you 30 seconds to read the entire charging instrumentbut I’ll save you 20 and post the critical bit:

    Second-degree murder under Florida law is defined as:
    The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual
    Dershowitz’s point: There’s nothing in the charging instrument that suggests probable cause to believe Zimmerman had a “depraved mind regardless of human life” when he shot Martin. On the contrary, he notes, the facts as stated are consistent with self-defense. (Tellingly, there’s also no reference to Zimmerman’s injuries.) The prosecution can amend the affidavit to strengthen its case if the judge throws it out, but then you’re left wondering why they didn’t submit a more detailed affidavit in the first place.
    The video of Dershowitz...

    http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2...unethical.html

    “Most affidavits of probable cause are very thin. This is so thin that it won’t make it past a judge on a second degree murder charge,” Dershowitz said. “There’s simply nothing in there that would justify second degree murder.” (via Mediaite)
    --You may never be a victim of a rape, murder, or robbery in your lifetime...but someone, somewhere will be...do you have the right to say they can't use a gun to stop the rape, robbery or murder...BillC
    --Reasons to own guns...Criminals, the dangerously mentally ill, government abuse, government neglect. Billc

    --leftwing violence, never examined...always forgotten...billc
    --evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, and then it seeks to silence good...(unknown)
    --Republicans play politics...democrats fight political, total war...(Billc from David Horowitz)





  2. The Following User Says Thank You to billc For This Useful Post:

    Big Don (04-12-2012)

  3. #422
    WC_lun's Avatar
    WC_lun is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City MO
    Posts
    2,761
    Thanks
    1,585
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 888 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by ballen0351 View Post
    Really? Cause i know we do investigations everyday without the media making up lies to force us to charge people
    Let me clarify then, it does take a very squeeky wheel to get an investigation going that has already stalled.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to WC_lun For This Useful Post:

    Master Dan (04-12-2012)

  5. #423
    ballen0351 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster


    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,828
    Thanks
    1,449
    Thanked 3,532 Times in 2,199 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by WC_lun View Post
    Let me clarify then, it does take a very squeeky wheel to get an investigation going that has already stalled.
    Or people can just be patient and let the police and attys do their jobs. Hard to get work done when you have people shooting up police cars and blocking the entrance to the police dept or when you have hundreds of reportera camped out at your station

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ballen0351 For This Useful Post:

    Big Don (04-13-2012), granfire (04-13-2012), jks9199 (04-13-2012), Tames D (04-13-2012), zDom (04-13-2012)

  7. #424
    Master Dan is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt


    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NW Alaska
    Posts
    1,157
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 193 Times in 141 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    I like what the prosecutor said today the 2nd degree murder charge is based on profiling and it is very clear on tape that his comments were in fact profiling the kid and his motives on ignoring orders to not pursue and stay in the car and pusuit with a gun was motivated by his comments they always get away with it Punk is up to no good ect. He took a gun to a skittles fight and killed a minor far worse that having regrets about past racial slurs.

    However I think no matter how much the Prosecutor likes to gloss over that no pulbic presure had anything todo with thier proceedures in this cass yeh right??? why was she in front fo the cameras again today at the arainment which she never does in routine cases???

    Reminds me of tricky Dick saying he was not a crook??

  8. #425
    granfire's Avatar
    granfire is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster
    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    11,489
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,779 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by ballen0351 View Post
    So now These is a racist term. Wow all that time when the bad guys on scobby do said i would have gotten away with it if it werent for these kids i had no idea that were racists. Thanks for teaching me.

    And everytime i tell my wife these kids are driving me nuts today i was being racist. Because these could never had referred to something simple like these teenagers or these traspassers or these punks it MUST have ment these black people right.

    No, not racist.
    Prejudicial.
    You know when 'they' come into play logical argument takes a second seat to preconceived stereotypes.
    Same happens when our friend billi starts in on 'them' lefties and commies...
    Unofficial ITA Forum
    If we have more than one way
    We can have our way more often
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    I'm allowed to be eccentric, I'm English.

  9. #426
    Wo Fat is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 109 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Dan View Post
    I like what the prosecutor said today the 2nd degree murder charge is based on profiling and it is very clear on tape that his comments were in fact profiling the kid and his motives on ignoring orders to not pursue and stay in the car and pusuit with a gun was motivated by his comments they always get away with it Punk is up to no good ect. He took a gun to a skittles fight and killed a minor far worse that having regrets about past racial slurs.

    However I think no matter how much the Prosecutor likes to gloss over that no pulbic presure had anything todo with thier proceedures in this cass yeh right??? why was she in front fo the cameras again today at the arainment which she never does in routine cases???

    Reminds me of tricky Dick saying he was not a crook??
    Agree with the first paragraph. And yet, if there was no public pressure whatsoever, then there would have been zero actions taken beyond taking the Profiler/Shooter at his word. There would have been zero follow-up investigations.

    Without public pressure, Trayvon Martin's shooting would have been no different than a man shooting a bear in his yard. A few perfunctory questions; sign here; have a nice day, sorry for the inconvenience.

    Mr. Martin was a human being who had every legal (and moral) right to be where he was. He left the house and walked through the neighborhood to go to the store ... and he did so without incident or cause for suspicion. Sound logic dictates that he was coming back into the neighborhood equally as peaceful. He did not deserve to be shot to death.

  10. #427
    ballen0351 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster


    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,828
    Thanks
    1,449
    Thanked 3,532 Times in 2,199 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    The only problem I see with all this is we have a justice system set up the way it is for a reason. Good or Bad it works how it works. If now all we need is a few protests, a few media lies, to get what we want there is no reason for the system anymore. Its like judge shopping. When I was a detective and others in my unit would write Search Warrants that were kinda weak on Prob. Cause they would judge shop. They would go from judge to judge to judge until one of them would actually sign it. I always felt that was wrong. The process is supposed to work by going into the court house looking for the assigned desk duty judge for that day and that who gets all the search warrants for that day. Good or bad thats the judge you see. To then judge shop to me breaks down the process and in my opinon weakens your case and if God forbid something happened when we served the warrant and someone got killed I feel Id be responsibile because I judge Shopped instead of going off my facts I fould a judge that just wanted to leave early to play golf so they dont even read it they just sign it as they are leaving the court house. Same goes for the prosecutor in this case. The local prosecutor gets the case it is his/her call. If they decide no charges then good or bad thats they way it goes. If now when ever the people decide we dont like that answer we want to shop around and apply so much pressuse until we get someone to come up with charges to shut people up thats bad. Its Bad because we the people dont have the FACTS we have 2 to 3 min news stories that were often conflicting. They site in the charging documents that Martins mother identifed the crys for help as her son but left out the part that the father said it was not his son. Little errors like that make our justice system less about Justice and more about revenge. It also sets a bad example for the next time which may not be so cut and dry as this one appears to be and an innocent person could be wrongfully arrested and convicted because of Mob Rule which is the type of thing our system is supposed to prevent. It may workout ok this time but what about the next time?

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballen0351 For This Useful Post:

    granfire (04-13-2012), jks9199 (04-13-2012)

  12. #428
    WC_lun's Avatar
    WC_lun is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City MO
    Posts
    2,761
    Thanks
    1,585
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 888 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    I see your point and I can't say I completely disagree with it. I do think the justice system is run by human beings and sometimes that means things break down. In those cases it takes people willing to be loud and create a stir to get things moving again. This particular case did not happen in a vaccumn. Trayvan Martin is not the first young black man to be killed using the no retreat law as justification. In many of those previous cases there was little follow up investigation. I don't blame that all on police, but I can see where the family feared the same thing would happen again.

    Ballen, I do have to give you props for not taking the easy way on your investigations and doing the work neccesary to get a solid case. If only more people would do the same in both thier personal lives and work the world would be a much better place.

  13. #429
    oftheherd1 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Thanks
    1,636
    Thanked 964 Times in 686 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Wo Fat View Post
    Agree with the first paragraph. And yet, if there was no public pressure whatsoever, then there would have been zero actions taken beyond taking the Profiler/Shooter at his word. There would have been zero follow-up investigations.

    Without public pressure, Trayvon Martin's shooting would have been no different than a man shooting a bear in his yard. A few perfunctory questions; sign here; have a nice day, sorry for the inconvenience.

    Mr. Martin was a human being who had every legal (and moral) right to be where he was. He left the house and walked through the neighborhood to go to the store ... and he did so without incident or cause for suspicion. Sound logic dictates that he was coming back into the neighborhood equally as peaceful. He did not deserve to be shot to death.
    Police are usually as human as the rest of us, and usually want to see justice done. But there can be many reasons for an investigation stalling or no longer receiving full attention. Since we don't know what the reason was, I for one won't criticize when I don't know what I am criticizing.

    And while I agree it is sad young Mr. Martin is dead, and I don't know enough facts to say Mr. Zimmerman's actions were right or wrong, I can tell you that sound logic is not something all humans follow, and certainly not crooks. I'm not saying Mr. Martin was a crook, but when a policeman looks at something he thinks may be suspicious, logic isn't going to be his mainstay (and no, Mr. Zimmerman wasn't a policeman, but there are some indications he may have been a wannabe).

    Quote Originally Posted by ballen0351 View Post
    The only problem I see with all this is we have a justice system set up the way it is for a reason. Good or Bad it works how it works. If now all we need is a few protests, a few media lies, to get what we want there is no reason for the system anymore. Its like judge shopping. When I was a detective and others in my unit would write Search Warrants that were kinda weak on Prob. Cause they would judge shop. They would go from judge to judge to judge until one of them would actually sign it. I always felt that was wrong. The process is supposed to work by going into the court house looking for the assigned desk duty judge for that day and that who gets all the search warrants for that day. Good or bad thats the judge you see. To then judge shop to me breaks down the process and in my opinon weakens your case and if God forbid something happened when we served the warrant and someone got killed I feel Id be responsibile because I judge Shopped instead of going off my facts I fould a judge that just wanted to leave early to play golf so they dont even read it they just sign it as they are leaving the court house. Same goes for the prosecutor in this case. The local prosecutor gets the case it is his/her call. If they decide no charges then good or bad thats they way it goes. If now when ever the people decide we dont like that answer we want to shop around and apply so much pressuse until we get someone to come up with charges to shut people up thats bad. Its Bad because we the people dont have the FACTS we have 2 to 3 min news stories that were often conflicting. They site in the charging documents that Martins mother identifed the crys for help as her son but left out the part that the father said it was not his son. Little errors like that make our justice system less about Justice and more about revenge. It also sets a bad example for the next time which may not be so cut and dry as this one appears to be and an innocent person could be wrongfully arrested and convicted because of Mob Rule which is the type of thing our system is supposed to prevent. It may workout ok this time but what about the next time?
    I agree with what you say in general. However, knowing what you said and agreeing we just need to sit back and hope isn't always a solution either. Not in my book anyway. If someone causes me to have to reshift focus by becoming a squeeky wheel, I may not like it, but I will try to understand from their perspective. If the reason is something I am at liberty to tell them about, that might be all that is needed. Then they know they and the victim aren't being forgotten or marginalized. It's not an easy position for the effected person or the police either. But both will have to get through it as best they can. That is also how it works (or should in my opinion).

    But I do understand what you are trying to say, and am not in total disagreement.

  14. #430
    Bill Mattocks's Avatar
    Bill Mattocks is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,674
    Thanks
    2,630
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Martin had every legal right to be where he was. So did Zimmerman. When the two came in contact with each other, something happened and it led to a physical struggle on the ground. What that something was, we do not know, but we know the outcome; Martin was shot and killed by Zimmerman.

    Without public pressure, it is possible that the entire situation would have ended with a finding that Zimmerman defended himself legally; that is his claim, and there is little (even in the charge sheet that I can see) that contradicts that. That does not mean he is telling the truth; it means we don't have much else in the way of information to know what really happened.

    With public pressure, it is possible that charges were brought forth on Zimmerman which would not have been brought otherwise. Now there will be a deeper level of scrutiny from the court, and the state will have to prove its case in court, presuming that Zimmerman's case is not simply dismissed by a judge in a separate self-defense hearing, as provided for under Florida law.

    If he is found guilty and sent to prison, many will claim justice has been done; but we may end up knowing little or nothing more about what really happened than we do now. Alternatively, new information may become available that the police and prosecutors know which has not yet been made public, and it may show that Zimmerman was lying. If he has charges against him dismissed prior to trial, or if the state fails to make its case and he is found not guilty, many will claim justice was not done.

    With or without public pressure, many will claim, rightly or wrongly, that the outcome is not correct; no matter what the outcome is.

    I will say that in my opinion, public pressure is a double-edged sword. It can shed light on bad situations and force corrections. It can also force people to behave in ways they otherwise would not, to the detriment of justice. We do not know at this time which this public pressure has wrought. And we may not know afterwards, either.

    Most who should be ashamed of themselves never will be. If Zimmerman is found guilty and goes to prison, they will be happy; and the fact of his guilt or innocence will be utterly irrelevant. That's how populist anger works. The issue is not whether Zimmerman is actually guilty or innocent to them; if he is guilty of course he should to to prison. But if he is not, the angry mob will not care; they want punishment and retribution, not justice. They seek blood, not a fair trial. And nothing else will satisfy them. I hope those of you to whom this applies like the taste of it. Your lot in life is to be a tool of others, congratulations.

    If you're not sure if you're a tool, ask yourself this; if Zimmerman is tried and found not guilty, will you be satisfied with the verdict and willing to move on with your life, or will this remain a thorn in your side and proof to you that the system is racist and a murderer walked away scot-free? If the latter, yeah, that's you.
    DISCLAIMER: I am a student of martial arts. I am not an authority on the subject. My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my sensei, my dojo, or my style of martial arts. If you have an issue with my views, opinions, or anything I've said or done, please contact me directly. Thank you.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mattocks For This Useful Post:

    jks9199 (04-13-2012), punisher73 (04-13-2012), Sukerkin (04-13-2012), zDom (04-13-2012)

  16. #431
    Wo Fat is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 109 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    And while I agree it is sad young Mr. Martin is dead, and I don't know enough facts to say Mr. Zimmerman's actions were right or wrong, I can tell you that sound logic is not something all humans follow, and certainly not crooks. I'm not saying Mr. Martin was a crook, but when a policeman looks at something he thinks may be suspicious, logic isn't going to be his mainstay (and no, Mr. Zimmerman wasn't a policeman, but there are some indications he may have been a wannabe).
    To your point, if you don't know enough of the facts to determine Zimmerman's actions, that's OK. The Prosecution is on the case and they've investigated the facts for you (and me, the Martin family, and the State of Florida). And the Prosecution has determined that Zimmerman's actions were very wrong.

    I agree that police officers are human and subject to good judgment and good deeds, as well as bad judgment and bad deeds. And if we left it up to the police to act as on-the-spot jurists, then we get closer to a police state. So it is that our justice system has built-in checks and balances. It's a damn shame that our society had to publicly protest and agitate for simple checks and balances, but that's American society -- for good and bad.

  17. #432
    granfire's Avatar
    granfire is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster
    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    11,489
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,779 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Wo Fat View Post
    To your point, if you don't know enough of the facts to determine Zimmerman's actions, that's OK. The Prosecution is on the case and they've investigated the facts for you (and me, the Martin family, and the State of Florida). And the Prosecution has determined that Zimmerman's actions were very wrong.

    I agree that police officers are human and subject to good judgment and good deeds, as well as bad judgment and bad deeds. And if we left it up to the police to act as on-the-spot jurists, then we get closer to a police state. So it is that our justice system has built-in checks and balances. It's a damn shame that our society had to publicly protest and agitate for simple checks and balances, but that's American society -- for good and bad.
    The state of florida might just ahve concluded that Mr Zimmerman is best served if he is in jail, not because of guild or innocence but because of the media frenzy.

    And sadly, the martin family lit the fire on that fuse.
    Unofficial ITA Forum
    If we have more than one way
    We can have our way more often
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    I'm allowed to be eccentric, I'm English.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to granfire For This Useful Post:

    Big Don (04-13-2012)

  19. #433
    Wo Fat is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    351
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 109 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    Most of those who presume that the pursuit and outcomes of American justice is always neutral and blind, should be ashamed of themselves for their naivete and willful ignorance of American judicial history--especially within their own lifetime. There are have been open and unsolved cases of murders of innocent Americans who were determined not worthy of justice. When small segments of the public demanded justice--meaning an actual thorough, honest, and above-board investigation of bombings, murders and other violent acts--they were accused of wanting "blood". And when the obvious killers were acquitted or not charged at all, it was the checks and balance of the federal government that did what the local governments would not do. This kind of thing is not just history, it's precedent.

    Many Americans today could care less if certain people resent the fact that pursuers of justice won't "shut up" on demand. Count me among those Americans. When the killers of Emmett Till, Mickey Goodman, James Chaney, Michael Schwerner, Denise McNair, Medgar Evers, among others, were acquitted and remained free for decades, many people approved with the way the system worked.

    But justice no longer needs those people's permission or approval.

  20. #434
    granfire's Avatar
    granfire is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster
    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    11,489
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,779 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    What are you implying?
    Unofficial ITA Forum
    If we have more than one way
    We can have our way more often
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    I'm allowed to be eccentric, I'm English.

  21. #435
    Bill Mattocks's Avatar
    Bill Mattocks is offline

    Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

    10,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,674
    Thanks
    2,630
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

    I'm coming to the realization that I'm tired of outrage. I'm tired of populist anger. I'm tired of protests and screaming and yelling and wearing hoodies and Guy Fawkes masks and demands for this and for that. People run from one popular outrage to the next, whipped by the pandering media and I'm talking about on the left and the right. Is there injustice in the world? Yes. Is there racism and bigotry? Yes. But it's all gone too far. Shooting up police cars, black separatists issuing 'dead or alive' bounties, white separatists patrolling the streets with bad intent, it's time all ya'll morons sit down, shut up, and let justice do what it does. Enough hate, enough threats, and definitely enough gunplay. Not one of you knows what happened in the moments before Zimmerman pulled that trigger; and neither do I. So all of our opinions on what occurred are worth precisely dick.
    DISCLAIMER: I am a student of martial arts. I am not an authority on the subject. My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my sensei, my dojo, or my style of martial arts. If you have an issue with my views, opinions, or anything I've said or done, please contact me directly. Thank you.

  22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mattocks For This Useful Post:

    Carol (04-13-2012), granfire (04-13-2012), jks9199 (04-13-2012), oftheherd1 (04-13-2012), punisher73 (04-13-2012), Sukerkin (04-13-2012), zDom (04-13-2012)

Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Weapon Use Against An Unarmed Attacker
    By MJS in forum General Self Defense
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-25-2011, 04:01 PM
  2. Transit cop who shot unarmed man being released
    By punisher73 in forum The Study
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
  4. SD Against An Unarmed Protestors?
    By The Lorax in forum The Study
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
  5. Teen Shot In Florida
    By MJS in forum The Study
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •