Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Gun Myths... Debunked.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Hollywood Gun Myths... Debunked.

Some (comedy) websites are basically useless drivel... sometimes however they can be informative.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18576...to-movies.html

Or maybe not...
    A nation of sheep will get a government of wolves. ~Edward R. Murrow
    Really smart wolves know that the most suspicious looking wolf in the pack is the one disguised as a sheep. Really smart wolves disguise themselves as friendly wolves. ~Daniel Quinn (from The Story Of B)
    Check out http://caughtinabindnovel.blogspot.com/ if you're into zombie stories. Leave comments please.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MA-Caver For This Useful Post:

Sukerkin (10-28-2011)

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: Hollywood Gun Myths... Debunked.

And I think they missed one.. No mater how many baddies you kill..you always leave their functioal-loaded weapons lying around and they run yours dry ala Jack Bauer in 24.
    "The more complicated you make the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain"
    "We hang the petty theives and appoint the Great ones to public office." Aesop
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    --Thomas Jefferson

Sukerkin is offline Have the courage to speak softly

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,431 Posts

Very pleasing to see at least some attempt to put the genie of at least some gun myths back in the bottle :tup:.
    Jitatomoni Urami Kakotsu Kokoronashi - advice I am very poor at implementing

Rembo no michi omoi kokoro nashi - proof that not all old wisdom is all that wise

"The tough part comes when you SEE the world the way it really is and want to go back to how you used to see it--and can't. ." - Andy Moynihan

"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error." U.S. Supreme Court in American Communications Association v. Douds

Donít cry because itís over. Smile because it happened.

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks

A short video of one of the most famous 'silenced' weapons, the Sten variant that was designed for Commando use:

I was, in a way, quite surprised that it was as noisy as it was as I have been lead to believe, from what I have read, that the only thing you could hear, even at relatively close range, was the cycling of the bolt.

Another example:

Rembo no michi omoi kokoro nashi - proof that not all old wisdom is all that wise

"The tough part comes when you SEE the world the way it really is and want to go back to how you used to see it--and can't. ." - Andy Moynihan

"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error." U.S. Supreme Court in American Communications Association v. Douds

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks

A fabulous but non-English language video of the silenced version of one of my favourite 'historical' firearms, the Sterling SMG:

I would guess from just how quiet it is that this was using the special sub-sonic ammunition that you are supposed to use with a 'serious' silenced weapon (tho' some of the commenters suggest that this is actually not the case and that the barrel venting slows the rounds to sub-sonic exit velocities without affecting the cyclic action).

And a clip that altho' not marvellous in itself (I do wish the shooters would stop holding the magazine!), does have a very good write-up text with it:

As to my magazine comment, I wonder if any of our Australian members can confirm that the Aussie version had the magazine top mounted (rather than side mounted) not only to make it more handy in dense undergrowth but also to stop people using it as a handle and causing feed problems? EDIT: Actually, I think what I'm on about there was a gun called the Austen that was a Sten variant? The Owen, another top mounted verticle mag SMG, was likewise derived from the Sten and much more common in Antipodean forces.

And a nice 'to camera' chat about the Sterling:

Last edited by Sukerkin; 10-28-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Some 'tidying up' of spurling earroarz :o

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

OK, I love Cracked. A lot of it is seriously entertaining. They do tend to have a somewhat left-of-center slant sometimes (which bugs me).

While this particular article makes some good points, like many of the Cracked entries, occasionally there is some small point they miss (deliberately?).

On most semi-auto handguns there's a perfectly valid reason why someone might want to cock back the hammer, despite the fact that you can DA it. A cocked hammer is in Single Action mode and most times SA is a smoother, shorter, pull which means a more accurate shot. Some, like Glock, it is irrelevant. They're semi-cocked and striker fired. Some, like the classic 1911, are SA only. But there are a crapload that are SA/DA and on an important fraction of them the difference between their SA trigger pull and their DA trigger pull is significant. Take the P64, for instance. In a stock, unmodified, P64 the trigger pull in DA is well over 20 pounds. Read that again: TWENTY POUNDS. The SA was something like 6. You bet your sweet bippy that I thumb-cock that puppy when I want an accurate shot from first-in-the-pipe if I'm shooting at a target farther away that 10 feet.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Banned from Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism
    http://www.lulu.com/lawson

Western Martial Arts - http://cbd.atspace.com/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lklawson For This Useful Post:

David43515 (11-07-2011), punisher73 (11-01-2011)

Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

It cracks me up when you see a guy pull out a Glock and you hear him Cock the hammer on it. Only in hollywood.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiMe View Post
    And I think they missed one.. No mater how many baddies you kill..you always leave their functioal-loaded weapons lying around and they run yours dry ala Jack Bauer in 24.
    How about this one too... All those bullets flying at the good guy and he might get hit once in the shoulder but his aim is just dead-on perfection.
    Really smart wolves know that the most suspicious looking wolf in the pack is the one disguised as a sheep. Really smart wolves disguise themselves as friendly wolves. ~Daniel Quinn (from The Story Of B)
    Check out http://caughtinabindnovel.blogspot.com/ if you're into zombie stories. Leave comments please.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MA-Caver For This Useful Post:

MaxiMe (11-14-2011)

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MA-Caver View Post
    How about this one too... All those bullets flying at the good guy and he might get hit once in the shoulder but his aim is just dead-on perfection.
    Actually, I think that's pretty close. Stats seem to show that self defense folks tend to be decent shots. But the return fire has to go SOMEWHERE. And not always with happy endings.

That's the one they missed: Bullets go somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Banned from Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism
    http://www.lulu.com/lawson

Western Martial Arts - http://cbd.atspace.com/

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

My biggest laugh from Hollywood, as it refers to firearms - the good guy, when he is about to use his revolver, checks to see if it's loaded.

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

the only weapon I know of that will fire and you hear the mechanism more then the report is the...
    ..De Lisle carbine.
    it is basically an old SMLE converted to fire the .45 ACP round with a huge integral suppressor built into it. It was designed to be used by British commando's in raids for truly silent removal of sentry's that you could not get close enough to use a knife on.
    unarmed hand to hand fighting has NOT changed through the ages; only the name changes, and it has only one rule: do it first, do it fast, do it dirtiest. -- Robert A. Heinlien

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chinto For This Useful Post:

Sukerkin (11-14-2011)

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I remember reading the Cracked article last year, but I can`t open the link while I`m here at school. If I remember Correctly, they forgot my 2 pet peeves about guns in movies. 1) bullets go somewhere: so when the bad guys shoot the bottle the hero is drinking from the bullet shouldn`t evaporate into thin air after hitting the bottle. It aught to break something behind the bar or hit somone in the crowd. 2) firearms make LOUD noises in confined spaces: so when the hero and his partner both empty their mags in a hallway they shouldn`t stop to whisper to each other about who goes which way next. Imagine going to a great heavy metal concert with seats near the speakers....on the way out to the car do you whisper to your friends? Do you even speak in a normal voice? Of course not, you can`t hear squat.

There`s one more thing that bugs me, but it`s about bulletproof vests, not so much about guns themselves. Body armour stops penetration, but it doesn`t stop the force of the bullet passing into you unless there`s a big trauma plate sewn in. Under the vest you should have dark, dark bruises like you`ve been hit with a hammer.....and it should still hurt like a bear.
    ďThe budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.Ē Cicero, 55 BC

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

yep!! I agree! and I do not know of any body armor that will stop a full sized rifle round like a .308 or 30-06. those just kinda tend to punch through.
    unarmed hand to hand fighting has NOT changed through the ages; only the name changes, and it has only one rule: do it first, do it fast, do it dirtiest. -- Robert A. Heinlien

Grenadier is offline Those ARE parallel lines.

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinto View Post
    yep!! I agree! and I do not know of any body armor that will stop a full sized rifle round like a .308 or 30-06. those just kinda tend to punch through.
    Actually, Level III body armor is rated as being able to stop 7.62 mm NATO 147 grain rounds that travel at 2780 fps.

Level IV armor can stop the .30-06 armor piercing rounds as well, but I'm not sure if this is due to the ceramic trauma plate or the armor itself.

IIIA or less, though really doesn't help against centerfire rifle rounds.
    As for

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David43515 View Post
    I remember reading the Cracked article last year, but I can`t open the link while I`m here at school. If I remember Correctly, they forgot my 2 pet peeves about guns in movies. 1) bullets go somewhere: so when the bad guys shoot the bottle the hero is drinking from the bullet shouldn`t evaporate into thin air after hitting the bottle. It aught to break something behind the bar or hit someone in the crowd. 2) firearms make LOUD noises in confined spaces: so when the hero and his partner both empty their mags in a hallway they shouldn`t stop to whisper to each other about who goes which way next. Imagine going to a great heavy metal concert with seats near the speakers....on the way out to the car do you whisper to your friends? Do you even speak in a normal voice? Of course not, you can`t hear squat.

There`s one more thing that bugs me, but it`s about bulletproof vests, not so much about guns themselves. Body armor stops penetration, but it doesn`t stop the force of the bullet passing into you unless there`s a big trauma plate sewn in. Under the vest you should have dark, dark bruises like you`ve been hit with a hammer.....and it should still hurt like a bear.
    True all that. Yet some films I've seen (lately) have started to make up for those glaring errors that everyone tends to (pretend) to ignore. That's part of the magic in films.
    I've seen where bullets are being shown hitting something if it misses the good guy. or that in one instance a guy fired a round inside of a tank and was dazed by it and they replicated the ringing you hear in your head... especially after a nice concussion like that. Also seen where the "hero" or at least good guy is taking off his vest and showing dark bruises under the skin. So make up is getting much better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors