Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

  1. #1
    dancingalone's Avatar
    dancingalone is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked 899 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    I'm always interested in knowing what techniques and kata the older masters favored. Can anyone correct or add to to this list?

    KYAN Chotoku - Passai
    NAGAMINE Shosin - Wankan, Wanshu
    MOTOBU Choki - Naihanchi
    FUNAKOSHI Gichin - Kusanku/Kwanku Dai (Not certain on this one, but reportedly he demoed it a lot in his early Japan days when he was trying to grow karate)
    OYAMA Mas - Tensho
    OTSUKA Honori - Naihanchi
    SHIMABUKURO Zenpo - Kusanku
    MIYAGI Chojun - Shisochin, reportedly he disliked Sanseiru, and he created Tensho, unknown if we should infer that he favored Tensho or not
    HIGA Seiko - Tensho and Kururunfa
    TOGUCHI Seikichi - Seipai
    SHINJO Masanobu - Suparinpei

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingalone For This Useful Post:

    SahBumNimRush (04-26-2012), Yondanchris (04-11-2012)

  3. #2
    seasoned is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster




    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    8,776
    Thanks
    2,467
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Just a comment.
    I to am interested in the Kata's of old, and who favored what. While doing some of the above kata, I consider the older masters body type along with the names and what the names mean, in regard to the kata. I feel there is much insight to be gained into kata practice, with this in mind.

    When wisdom is called for, force is of little use.




  4. The Following User Says Thank You to seasoned For This Useful Post:

    dancingalone (04-09-2012)

  5. #3
    dancingalone's Avatar
    dancingalone is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked 899 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by seasoned View Post
    Just a comment.
    I to am interested in the Kata's of old, and who favored what. While doing some of the above kata, I consider the older masters body type along with the names and what the names mean, in regard to the kata. I feel there is much insight to be gained into kata practice, with this in mind.
    I've pondered that frequently myself. Of course I am a giant compared to most of the old masters, as you likely are.

    What does this mean for us? Is big person karate the same as small person karate? There's a lot of navel contemplation possible there.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingalone For This Useful Post:

    seasoned (04-09-2012)

  7. #4
    seasoned is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster




    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    8,776
    Thanks
    2,467
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingalone View Post
    I've pondered that frequently myself. Of course I am a giant compared to most of the old masters, as you likely are.

    What does this mean for us? Is big person karate the same as small person karate? There's a lot of navel contemplation possible there.
    You are most correct. There are disadvantages, but we do the best we can. I do have a picture in one of by albums of Shinjo Masanobu seasei and myself, and the difference is very operant, but once on the floor, his power more then makes up for any doubt.

    When wisdom is called for, force is of little use.




  8. The Following User Says Thank You to seasoned For This Useful Post:

    dancingalone (04-09-2012)

  9. #5
    SuperFLY's Avatar
    SuperFLY is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ascot, UK
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 80 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingalone View Post
    FUNAKOSHI Gichin - Kusanku/Kwanku Dai (Not certain on this one, but reportedly he demoed it a lot in his early Japan days when he was trying to grow karate)
    This is correct. Kanku Dai/Kwanku was his favourite kata and the kata that all the hein katas are based on. Originally named Kusanku after one of his dear friends who reportedly brought the kata to Okinawa. As far as I recall anyway. been a little while since I read Gichin's book.
    Shotokan Karateka http://www.tiska.com/ Shodan
    Aikidoka http://www.ellisaikido.org/

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFLY For This Useful Post:

    dancingalone (04-10-2012)

  11. #6
    twendkata71's Avatar
    twendkata71 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Newark,Oh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    679
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFLY View Post
    This is correct. Kanku Dai/Kwanku was his favourite kata and the kata that all the hein katas are based on. Originally named Kusanku after one of his dear friends who reportedly brought the kata to Okinawa. As far as I recall anyway. been a little while since I read Gichin's book.
    That is impossible, since Kusanku was on Okinawa about 100 years before Funakoshi. They could not have been friends.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to twendkata71 For This Useful Post:

    dancingalone (04-10-2012)

  13. #7
    SuperFLY's Avatar
    SuperFLY is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ascot, UK
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 80 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    replace friend with idol/man he respected then.

    i remember he thought a lot of him, presumed it was that they were friends. obviously not

    as said its been a while since i've read about it, memories a bit muddled.
    Shotokan Karateka http://www.tiska.com/ Shodan
    Aikidoka http://www.ellisaikido.org/

  14. #8
    puunui is offline Banned User 1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,378
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 666 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingalone View Post
    MIYAGI Chojun - Shisochin, reportedly he disliked Sanseiru, and he created Tensho, unknown if we should infer that he favored Tensho or not
    So Miyagi Sensei's favorite kata was not Sanchin?

  15. #9
    dancingalone's Avatar
    dancingalone is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked 899 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by puunui View Post
    So Miyagi Sensei's favorite kata was not Sanchin?
    Apparently not, going by personal preference. Sanchin's not my favorite either - but it may be the most important kata.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingalone For This Useful Post:

    puunui (04-14-2012)

  17. #10
    puunui is offline Banned User 1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,378
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 666 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingalone View Post
    Apparently not, going by personal preference. Sanchin's not my favorite either - but it may be the most important kata.
    What is your favorite kata?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to puunui For This Useful Post:

    dancingalone (04-14-2012)

  19. #11
    dancingalone's Avatar
    dancingalone is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks
    900
    Thanked 899 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by puunui View Post
    What is your favorite kata?
    Goju-ryu - Kururunfa
    Matsubayashi-ryu - Rohai, but sometimes I get on a Passai kick

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingalone For This Useful Post:

    SahBumNimRush (04-26-2012)

  21. #12
    chinto's Avatar
    chinto is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,017
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 232 Times in 176 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by twendkata71 View Post
    That is impossible, since Kusanku was on Okinawa about 100 years before Funakoshi. They could not have been friends.

    actually about 150 years before Funakoshi.
    unarmed hand to hand fighting has NOT changed through the ages; only the name changes, and it has only one rule: do it first, do it fast, do it dirtiest. -- Robert A. Heinlien

  22. #13
    chinto's Avatar
    chinto is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,017
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 232 Times in 176 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingalone View Post
    I'm always interested in knowing what techniques and kata the older masters favored. Can anyone correct or add to to this list?

    KYAN Chotoku - Passai
    NAGAMINE Shosin - Wankan, Wanshu
    MOTOBU Choki - Naihanchi
    FUNAKOSHI Gichin - Kusanku/Kwanku Dai (Not certain on this one, but reportedly he demoed it a lot in his early Japan days when he was trying to grow karate)
    OYAMA Mas - Tensho
    OTSUKA Honori - Naihanchi
    SHIMABUKURO Zenpo - Kusanku
    MIYAGI Chojun - Shisochin, reportedly he disliked Sanseiru, and he created Tensho, unknown if we should infer that he favored Tensho or not
    HIGA Seiko - Tensho and Kururunfa
    TOGUCHI Seikichi - Seipai
    SHINJO Masanobu - Suparinpei

    please note that the passai in question is the tamrai not the shuri te version for Kyan Chotoku Sensei. the Tamari version is very different then the shuri version of that kata.
    unarmed hand to hand fighting has NOT changed through the ages; only the name changes, and it has only one rule: do it first, do it fast, do it dirtiest. -- Robert A. Heinlien

  23. #14
    Black Belt Jedi's Avatar
    Black Belt Jedi is offline
    Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 43 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    The masters of old, had one or two favourite katas. The saying goes, "Three years, one kata." They spent so much time focusing on the bunkai for these templates. I remember reading an article by Iain Abernethy on Naihanchi (at least I believe it was that article) claiming that Motobu's favourite kata was Naihanchi, in addition he also favoured Kushanku, Chinto and Passai katas.

    For me, I don't prefer learning so many kata because I find it too overwhelming for me to retain everything. I try to study on bunkai for at least my favourite katas. Holding a black belt in Goju-ryu, I have learned Kobudo and supplementary (foreign) katas, and I felt that I should slow down in learning new katas since Martial Arts is a lifetime of study.

  24. #15
    TimoS's Avatar
    TimoS is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master of Arts


    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,502
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 92 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Favorite Kata of Famous Sensei

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFLY View Post
    Kanku Dai/Kwanku was his favourite kata and the kata that all the hein katas are based on
    but IMHO the Pinan/Heian kata are partially formed from Kusanku kata, but there are elements from other kata also. If I remember correctly the Pinan and Kusanku correctly, elements from e.g. Jion and (maybe) Chinto are included in them also.
    Timo Saksholm

    Wrestling with a pig is like arguing with an engineer, everybody gets muddy but the pig enjoys it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite kata
    By kingkong89 in forum Beginners Corner
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  2. Favorite kata
    By Ken Morgan in forum Japanese Swords and Sword Arts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
  3. Favorite kata, and why.
    By Tetsujin in forum Karate
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 06:57 PM
  4. KT:What is your favorite kata
    By Clark Kent in forum KenpoTalk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
  5. What are everyones favorite kata/form?
    By Battousai in forum General Martial Arts Talk
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 04:33 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •