Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: ok, Rousey is the real deal, clearly

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Re: ok, Rousey is the real deal, clearly

Who said I didnt think Rousey was the real deal? Olympic Judo?

I've liked this chick since I saw an interview with her a few months ago. I love the cut of her jib.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

elder999 is offline El Oso de Dios!

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,865 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Fist View Post
    this is certainly true.

but who else is out there?

carano is making movies

the she beast cyborg was doping and is irrelevant now.

rousey isnt just winning, she is destroying people. Before this fight, her longest fight was 44 SECONDS.

this one was just over 4 minutes, and tate is as good as any woman out there.
    Carano might come back to fight her, though I doubt it.

There's some gals at Greg Jackson's, though......
    "Most Americans today would probably be shocked to learn that Congress established the cornerstone of its social safety net, Social Security, in 1935, established the interstate highway system in 1954, passed civil rights legislation in 1964, and authorized Medicare in 1965, all with a solid majority _of each party_ in both the House of Representatives and the Senate voting in favor of the measures." --Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum, "That Used To Be Us"
    Breitbart is dead, and rotting away.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

i hope so, a sport isnt buildt on ONE superstar, you need a field of solid skilled fighters.

Rousey might be head and shoulders on top right now, but she will need good fights to help the sport grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Who was out there before Rousey? Or in other words, we all know Rousey's name now... when's the first time you heard it? 3 weeks ago? 3 months ago?

Point is, it's a shallow field because there hasn't been a lot of attention on it. There are lots of female athletes out there competing and training.

TF, I don't disagree with your assessment of Rousey. You're spot on. I'm just a little more optimistic that there are other "Rouseys" out there waiting for a chance and someone to notice them. They're training hard and looking for a break.
    If you need 10K words and 4 you tube clips to make a point, you dont have one.

Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Thanks

I first heard of Rousey in 04 when she qualified for the Olympics in Athens. There was a nice piece on her on the local news. (I live in the same state)
    Mom was a World Judo champ. Taught Ronda arm bars when she was still in Garanimals. (Can you imagine?) Not only is the girl a seasoned veteran, and a true armbaroholic, she's just plain tough as hard wood.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buka For This Useful Post:

Carol (03-06-2012)

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 888 Posts

Props to both women. That was a great match. Both are the real deal.

Seeing the match, I do have to wonder how Rousey will fare when she faces an opponent that can sit down on thier striking a bit, creating power like what a skilled boxer would do. I do pity anyone that Rousey gets top position on in a scramble.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WC_lun For This Useful Post:

K831 (04-11-2012), Twin Fist (03-13-2012)

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think she's going to cream Kaufman. Just annihilate her.

turns out you were right Steve-O

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Twin Fist For This Useful Post:

Steve (08-20-2012)

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

turns out you were right Steve-O
    Pedigree

The only way to beat that armbar is to not be in it. The only way to not be in it is to not get in it. Womens are screwed until then-I'm not sure I could beat that armbar-pretty sure I couldn't, without poking her damn eye out......
    "Most Americans today would probably be shocked to learn that Congress established the cornerstone of its social safety net, Social Security, in 1935, established the interstate highway system in 1954, passed civil rights legislation in 1964, and authorized Medicare in 1965, all with a solid majority _of each party_ in both the House of Representatives and the Senate voting in favor of the measures." --Thomas L. Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum, "That Used To Be Us"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elder999 For This Useful Post:

Makalakumu (08-24-2012), Steve (08-20-2012), Twin Fist (08-23-2012)

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Is she really the real deal? I mean, it took her almost a whole minute to win her last fight

J/K

At one point early in the fight it looked like Kaufman was going to try and lift up Rousey and then slam her back down like she did to that gal in another fight and knocked her out. But Rousey is simply to tall/big for Kaufman to pull it off. She tried though so I give her credit for trying. Clearly a decisive win for Rousey.

Steve is online now Mostly Harmless

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,742 Times in 2,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kong Soo Do View Post
    Is she really the real deal? I mean, it took her almost a whole minute to win her last fight

J/K

At one point early in the fight it looked like Kaufman was going to try and lift up Rousey and then slam her back down like she did to that gal in another fight and knocked her out. But Rousey is simply to tall/big for Kaufman to pull it off. She tried though so I give her credit for trying. Clearly a decisive win for Rousey.
    Standing up in an armbar is risky. Often, in MMA, they're slick enough with sweat to pull it off. But within the first minute of a fight, and with someone who has such a tight armbar, it's begging to make the joint lock even tighter.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence. - Mahatma Gandhi

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

None of the women are close to Ronda, she's the only one with high level grappling and there isn't really any high level striking in women's MMA, regardless of what Gina Carano claims to be good at.
    Kukkiwon Taekwondo
    Kodokan Judo

Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ETinCYQX View Post
    None of the women are close to Ronda, she's the only one with high level grappling and there isn't really any high level striking in women's MMA, regardless of what Gina Carano claims to be good at.
    There are BJJ black belts and champions in women's MMA--in fact, Ronda armbarred one of them (Ediane Gomes)--so I wouldn't say that there is no high level grappling outside of Ronda, but Ronda is definitely on another level. As far as the striking goes, I sometimes see very good striking and other times very bad striking, even from the same fighters, so there is definitely a consistency issue as much as anything. I think the more WMMA is built-up and publicized the more money it will make and the more women will start training, and that will increase the talent pool and the level of skill overall. Until then, Ronda is the top of the food chain!
    Shorin-Ryu | 2010-Present: Ikkyu
    Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu
    Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu
    Peaceful Warrior Martial Arts
    Budo No Kaizen Blog
    Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Never_A_Reflection View Post
    There are BJJ black belts and champions in women's MMA--in fact, Ronda armbarred one of them (Ediane Gomes)--so I wouldn't say that there is no high level grappling outside of Ronda, but Ronda is definitely on another level. As far as the striking goes, I sometimes see very good striking and other times very bad striking, even from the same fighters, so there is definitely a consistency issue as much as anything. I think the more WMMA is built-up and publicized the more money it will make and the more women will start training, and that will increase the talent pool and the level of skill overall. Until then, Ronda is the top of the food chain!
    At her weight! She dropped weight so as not to face Cyborg though. There is more than one weight category in womens MMA, Rousey is not the only female MMA fighter who is good, as I said she's good at her weight.
    I fight. Not simply with my opponent. I fight with the demons of doubt. With my exhaustion, with my past failures, with my injuries, with my anonymity, with the unrelenting voice that tells me to stop. But I am a fighter. And one thing is sure. I will be victorious.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/980/743/044/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tez3 For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (09-04-2012)

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

just cant give credit, you have to put qualifiers on it......predictable

cyborg doesnt even merit a mention, she is a cheating man ***** and should be banned for life, and if they havnt already, all her fights should be reversed, and declared for the girls she fought AND CHEATED to beat.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,064 Posts

just cant give credit, you have to put qualifiers on it......predictable

cyborg doesnt even merit a mention, she is a cheating man ***** and should be banned for life, and if they havnt already, all her fights should be reversed, and declared for the girls she fought AND CHEATED to beat.

Diddums, of course you have to put a qualifier on it lol, its the same for the men, you look at the weight classes and then say such and such fighter is the best in his weight class, don't let boobs and bums cloud your judgement. Lets look at this professionally. BTW Rousey changed weight categories before Cyborg was decalered to be taking illegal substances.
    I fight. Not simply with my opponent. I fight with the demons of doubt. With my exhaustion, with my past failures, with my injuries, with my anonymity, with the unrelenting voice that tells me to stop. But I am a fighter. And one thing is sure. I will be victorious.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/980/743/044/

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    Diddums, of course you have to put a qualifier on it lol, its the same for the men, you look at the weight classes and then say such and such fighter is the best in his weight class, don't let boobs and bums cloud your judgement. Lets look at this professionally. BTW Rousey changed weight categories before Cyborg was decalered to be taking illegal substances.
    She probably didn't do it to avoid Gina Carano or Cyborg, though-she did it because it put her four minutes away from a championship....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast