Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

  1. #1
    kosho is offline
    Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Hi,
    Just asking what people think of this Shaolin kempo Karate form. and get some idears about this kata. I like this form. what are your thoughts?
    steve

  2. #2
    KempoShaun's Avatar
    KempoShaun is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Beautiful form, and when down with some of the concepts Professor Chow intended for it (which is, sadly, rarely seen these days), extremely effective! My favorite section would have to be the opening sequences, tiger claw (obscuring), cannon punch (to get opponent to lean into the next strike), backfist (to hit opponent of the centerline), groin hammerfist to knock them back ON the centerline, double punchs to the ribs ("Professor Chow Special!"), another cannon punch, and a follow up tiger claw for good measure. Just awesome!
    ~Shaun E. Seifer
    Founder - Tenchi Bujutsu
    Godan - Shaolin Kempo/Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu/Ch'uan Fa
    Nidan - Wado-Ryu
    Imperial Dragon Martial Arts Online

  3. #3
    RevIV's Avatar
    RevIV is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Age
    38
    Posts
    588
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by KempoShaun View Post
    Beautiful form, and when down with some of the concepts Professor Chow intended for it (which is, sadly, rarely seen these days), extremely effective! My favorite section would have to be the opening sequences, tiger claw (obscuring), cannon punch (to get opponent to lean into the next strike), backfist (to hit opponent of the centerline), groin hammerfist to knock them back ON the centerline, double punchs to the ribs ("Professor Chow Special!"), another cannon punch, and a follow up tiger claw for good measure. Just awesome!
    Shaun,
    Hey just doing some quick readings while im out here in Japan and you talk about Prof. Chow but then make a reference to moves that were never in the original form? I like the opening hand sequence too, but who added them in? Was it Villari?
    In Peace
    Jesse

  4. #4
    kosho is offline
    Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    hi,
    for me the strikes are . left hand cross hand shuto to face followed by a right back 2 knuckle to mid section, then a back fist to head area and a left rev hammer strike to mid section, then a right and left front 2 knuckle punch to the chest area followed by a right back 2 knuckle punch
    follwed by a left tiger claw and a right tigers claw and press out...
    I think I was told G M Cerio had a lot to do with this form????
    steve

  5. #5
    marlon's Avatar
    marlon is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    montreal,canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Sometimes discussions about the origins of a form will oversghadow discussions about what you can learn from the form. I note that most of this form has short in close rapid sequence hand striking often working up and down the body. Does anyone consider this an expression of a fighting style to be learned from the form?

    Respectfully,
    Marlon
    forever a student

  6. #6
    KempoShaun's Avatar
    KempoShaun is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Mushi Mushi Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Oddly enough, I was discussing this with Rebelo Sensei today. Recently, things have come to light where it seems that Professor Cerio added the entire opening section of the form, including the Kosho Ryu breathing exercise and the fast flurry of strikes and double tiger claw rear guard position (as Master Chun II doesn't perform them in his father's version). As far as what I call the professor Chow special, I doubt Villari put that in, due to the fact he never trained with Chow, again, probably prof. cerio. Sadly, we may never know... For those who don't know what the Professor Chow special is, he loved to hit an area of the body, usually the ribs, twice in a row. the first strike would bend the ribs to their breaking point, and the second strike, with the ribs already poised on the point of snapping, would simply demolish them. Rebelo Sensei, a few years ago, when I was relearning Han Suki, actually demonstrated this on me (with the utmost care) and I can easily say I have NEVER felt my ribs move like that before. I love this for, in particular, because it is one of the only links we, in New England Kempo, have back to Master Chun, and for that reason, I will always treasure it.
    ~Shaun E. Seifer
    Founder - Tenchi Bujutsu
    Godan - Shaolin Kempo/Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu/Ch'uan Fa
    Nidan - Wado-Ryu
    Imperial Dragon Martial Arts Online

  7. #7
    kosho is offline
    Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Thanks for the info: and the history on this Kata...
    steve
    Never move backwards to move forwards

  8. #8
    marlon's Avatar
    marlon is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    montreal,canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by KempoShaun View Post
    Oddly enough, I was discussing this with Rebelo Sensei today. Recently, things have come to light where it seems that Professor Cerio added the entire opening section of the form, including the Kosho Ryu breathing exercise and the fast flurry of strikes and double tiger claw rear guard position (as Master Chun II doesn't perform them in his father's version). As far as what I call the professor Chow special, I doubt Villari put that in, due to the fact he never trained with Chow, again, probably prof. cerio. Sadly, we may never know... For those who don't know what the Professor Chow special is, he loved to hit an area of the body, usually the ribs, twice in a row. the first strike would bend the ribs to their breaking point, and the second strike, with the ribs already poised on the point of snapping, would simply demolish them. Rebelo Sensei, a few years ago, when I was relearning Han Suki, actually demonstrated this on me (with the utmost care) and I can easily say I have NEVER felt my ribs move like that before. I love this for, in particular, because it is one of the only links we, in New England Kempo, have back to Master Chun, and for that reason, I will always treasure it.

    Thanks for the info on the 'Chow special' i note however that the double strike/ double block is very prevelant in most kempo styles...almost a characteristic of kempo...you will note that Prof. Kimo does it a lot and effectively...i wonder if kajukenbo has this feature also...it would make sense if Prof. Chow taught it.

    respectfully,
    Marlon
    forever a student

  9. #9
    KENPOJOE's Avatar
    KENPOJOE is offline
    Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Bedford,MA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by RevIV View Post
    Shaun,
    Hey just doing some quick readings while im out here in Japan and you talk about Prof. Chow but then make a reference to moves that were never in the original form? I like the opening hand sequence too, but who added them in? Was it Villari?
    In Peace
    Jesse
    Hi Folks!
    Dear Jesse,
    Hope you are having a great time overseas! Hope to hear from you when you get back!
    RE: The opening technique and the form in general:
    The form "Hansuki/honsuki/hontsuki" is known to have been taught to Prof. Nick Cerio during one of his visits to Hawaii to train with Prof. William Kwai Sun Chow. The form was taught to him by Prof. William Chun Sr. The form as it is taught today in the shaolin Kempo style stems from that lineage.
    The form as it is taught is as I refer to it "The most commonly incorrectly done form in the system". Because most people do not know the sources that comprised the form in it's present format.
    To the best of my knowledge, Prof.Cerio was the person who changed the format of the form. n all proability, he simply did not remember who the form originally went or decided to include other aspects of his training with Prof. Chow in honor of what he had learned from Chow. The breathing exercise at the beginning of the form stems from James Mitose's "kosho ryu yoga breathing exercises" taught in Mitose's second book "What is true self defense". The technique that Shaun mentioned was one of Prof. Chow's techniques and was included in the present version and is not seen in the original form still taught by William Chun Jr. In all probability it was prof Cerio that altered the original format of the form. BTW, many times when Prof. Cerio saw someone do hansuki in tournament competition, he would normally have them scored within the first minute of the form because they would incorrectly do the breathing exercises! NOTE: Fred Villari DID NOT learn the form from Nick Cerio. He actually learned it from Prof. Cerio's brother,Frank, after Villari had left the Cerio organization.
    I hope that I was of some service,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the TRUTH!!"
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share."

  10. #10
    KENPOJOE's Avatar
    KENPOJOE is offline
    Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Bedford,MA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by kosho View Post
    hi,
    for me the strikes are . left hand cross hand shuto to face followed by a right back 2 knuckle to mid section, then a back fist to head area and a left rev hammer strike to mid section, then a right and left front 2 knuckle punch to the chest area followed by a right back 2 knuckle punch
    follwed by a left tiger claw and a right tigers claw and press out...
    I think I was told G M Cerio had a lot to do with this form????
    steve
    Hi Folks!
    Dear Kosho,
    It's interesting that you have the shuto chop as opposed to tiger claw at the beginning as well as end of the initial technique! That is normally taught later on in the form. The chop is done should be striking the philtrum. The backfist should be striking the temple area.The double front 2 knuckles are striking the solar plexus. The "tiger claw pressout" you refer to is actually the second technique into a "front ball strectching "stance [or close kneel for you american kenpo folks! As I mentioned previously mentioned,Prof. Cerio added and rearranged different segments before dropping the form from his system.
    I hope that I was of some service,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the TRUTH!!"
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share."

  11. #11
    KENPOJOE's Avatar
    KENPOJOE is offline
    Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Bedford,MA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by marlon View Post
    Sometimes discussions about the origins of a form will oversghadow discussions about what you can learn from the form. I note that most of this form has short in close rapid sequence hand striking often working up and down the body. Does anyone consider this an expression of a fighting style to be learned from the form?

    Respectfully,
    Marlon
    Hi Folks!
    There is a wealthof information to be gleamed from this form and in the early 1970's, this form stuck out like a sore thumb because it came from an entirely different source and therefore did not "blend in" well with the rest of the system at that time. Perhaps that was the rwason for Ppof. Cerio's decision to delete from the NCK syllabus. I've detailed out many of the aspects of the form in the DVD/video I have out on the form. Please feel free to quote from it and see what you get out of it. I have done some work on the forthcoming second DVD detailing out the form in it's entirety as well as variation taught throughout the Shaolin Kempo family.
    BEGOOD,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the TRUTH!!"
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share."

  12. #12
    kosho is offline
    Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    KempoJoe,
    The Form, I learned it from Master John Evans. He is a Student of Hanshi Juchniks now for the past 10 yeras. . He holds a 5th degree in Shaolin Kempo Karate. The form for me has some kosho Ryu idears added into it. I really like this form and have seen other kempo peolpe do the form and it is really close to how i have it just some feet work and other small changes. I have talked with prof. Ingargiloa about the form and broken it down many times and every time learn something new... Thank you for the Input and Info: you have added...
    Steve

  13. #13
    CTKempo Todd is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Meriden, CT
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Great Stuff gentlemen...

    Many thanks for the background.

  14. #14
    SK101 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Hello All,

    The breathing at the beginning of the form was taught to me as a 3 day preparation for war.

    Monk wakes up in the morning & develops chi. (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    The sun rises, the sun sets (hands coming together than dropping down)
    The moon rises, the moon sets (rising front position upside down, than double downward pressing palms)
    Monk becomes humble (Praying hands, bow)
    Monk wakes up develops chi Day 2 (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    Monk plants or harvests (Open hand front position toward the ground)
    Monk prepares for war (Front position coming up then going away twice)
    Monk wakes up in the morning & develops chi. (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    War - the beginning of Hansuki

    In the beginning you start off very slow & build your energy at the end you reverse this.

    Anyone have other interpretations of the beginning or end?

  15. #15
    Gufbal1982 is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Hansuki (Tiger Form)

    Quote Originally Posted by SK101 View Post
    Hello All,

    The breathing at the beginning of the form was taught to me as a 3 day preparation for war.

    Monk wakes up in the morning & develops chi. (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    The sun rises, the sun sets (hands coming together than dropping down)
    The moon rises, the moon sets (rising front position upside down, than double downward pressing palms)
    Monk becomes humble (Praying hands, bow)
    Monk wakes up develops chi Day 2 (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    Monk plants or harvests (Open hand front position toward the ground)
    Monk prepares for war (Front position coming up then going away twice)
    Monk wakes up in the morning & develops chi. (Pinan 1 salutaion, Dragon breathes fire)
    War - the beginning of Hansuki

    In the beginning you start off very slow & build your energy at the end you reverse this.

    Anyone have other interpretations of the beginning or end?
    I know the version taught in Irvine 1:

    Bow.
    Dragon Breathes Fire.
    Rising Sun.
    Setting Sun.
    Rising Moon.
    Setting Moon.
    Praying Monk.
    Humble Monk.
    Dragon Breathes Fire.
    Four Seasons meet.
    Dragon Breathes Fire.

    Closing:

    Dragon Breathes Fire.
    Four Seasons Meet.
    Humble Monk
    Praying Monk.
    Setting Moon.
    Rising Moon.
    Setting Sun.
    Bow.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Differences between Kenpo and Kempo?
    By Kane in forum Kenpo / Kempo - General
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
  2. Tastes Like Chicken By Pete Starr
    By Bob Hubbard in forum MartialTalk Magazine Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
  3. technique forms
    By kevin kilroe in forum Kenpo - (EPAK) Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate Systems
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 08:45 AM
  4. Strating your own System, That is the Question???????
    By VSanhodo in forum General Martial Arts Talk
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM
  5. Is power determinable by watching a form?
    By Jason Davis in forum General Martial Arts Talk
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 03:02 AM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

hansuki

,
hansuki form
,
hansuki kata
,

martial arts tiger form blog

,
sho den qua karate forms video
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.