Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garrote Larense ?

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster
    5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Re: Garrote Larense ?

Very cool. Garrote does seem to be quite different then my Arnis or Eskrima, and for me it would be very cool to see those differences!

Thanks again,

Paul
    Around the world unseen...

Baddass customs: http://www.hartsookknivesinc.com/

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

does it have empty-hand drills and fighting.
    kung di ma-agi sa yaw-yaw, agi-on nalang sa bahar!!!!

Martial Talk
    White Belt
    Thanks

The difference isn't in the material used for sticks...the sticks are practice for edged weapons (so don't get so hung up on that). The real difference is in the blocking and delivery of strikes. While they are both influenced by spanish fencing (and Gorrete Larense may be influenced by escrima brought to latin america by the spanish) the actual systems are very very different. In truth its as different as Muay Thai and SanShou (which to none martial arts enthusiast look simular).

They just arn't the same thing.

For my money, eskrima. It's just better.

P.S. what racist son of a ***** made the asian icon for this?

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Livio Girotto View Post
    The reason I got into this forum is the curiosity that some of you have in our martial art, I think that this curiosity is dued to the articles and classes done by "Maestro" Bruno Cruichi, I thank him for that, but there are some things that you do not know, and I would like to talk you about.

[...]

He was expelled from my training group because we learn in the web that he was presenting himself as a Garrote Master outside Venezuela, he does not teach in Venezuela, do you know why? because he could be challenged in any moment, by any one. and he knows that he would be beaten very ugly.
    Mr. Girotto.

Thank you for your efforts in promoting Garrote Larense. I am excited that another element of Western Martial Arts is receiving positive interest.

I met Mr. Cruichi a few years ago at a Western Martial Arts seminar. I did take his class.

I can not attest to his skills as a stick fighter. I did not fence him, nor did I see anyone else fencing him.

What I can definitively say is that, at this time, he did NOT present himself as a Maestro. He told us that he was a student, gave us his Maestro's name in Venezuela (though I don't recall who), and said that he was interested in promoting the art here in the U.S.

Outside of saying that he was a student of Garrote Larense, the only title he laid claim to in my presence was that of a Linguist (working at a University, ims), and a polyglot.

I have exchanged less than a handful of emails with him since, because I am on a list which he also reads. Again, in none of those emails did he purport to me to be a Maestro of Garrote, only a student advanced enough to communicate the basics to neophytes.

I will, at this point, freely admit that I do not know the ins and outs of the politics of Garrote, the various lineages, nor the disputes between said lineages (which are natural and innevitable). Therefore, there may be quite a bit which I am missing.

I also admit that I, personally, despise intra-style politics and stay away from it as far as possible. The Furey/Cecchini/Shannon catch wrestling dispute, for instance, irritated me no end and I would have felt the same about the Hackenschmidt/Gotch dispute had I been around for it. Perhaps it is because I've had a front row seat for the John Hurley incident in the Irish Martial Arts movement. But whatever the case, it colors my feelings on these (natural and inevitable) disputes.

Again, thank you for promoting this important element of WMA and I wish you great success.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Banned from Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism
    http://www.lulu.com/lawson

Western Martial Arts - http://cbd.atspace.com/

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Re: Garrote Larense P1

Quote Originally Posted by Silat Junkie View Post
    Hello Listmembers;

Mike asked me to respond to the questions concerning Garrote Larense because of my training in it.
    Thank you.

I tried hitting the "thanks" button but there's a glitch in the system right now. :P

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Livio Girotto View Post
    The reason I got into this forum is the curiosity that some of you have in our martial art, I think that this curiosity is dued to the articles and classes done by "Maestro" Bruno Cruichi, I thank him for that, but there are some things that you do not know, and I would like to talk you about.

[...]

Did he ever sparred with sticks?, never, that is why he is telling to his "pupils" in America that Garrote Larense training consist mostly in drills, it is a lie, 90% of Garrote training is free sparring.

[...]

we learn in the web that he was presenting himself as a Garrote Master outside Venezuela,
    In the interests of trying to inform myself better, and on the (often accurate) theory that I do not have all the information which I should, I did some google searches on "maestro bruno cruichi" (no hits) and on "maestro cruichi" (again no hits which lead to Mr. Bruno Cruichi). A bit more searching and I did find an article he wrote for FMA Digest:

http://www.fmadigest.com/Issues/past...3/Vol3_No4.pdf

In this 2006 article, he states his instructor/lineage:

"When I first discovered Garrote, it was through a very humble publication by the man who was to revive Garrote in Venezuela. I am referring to Eduardo Sanoja, a Martial artist, who discovered a whole new world when he was allowed to train and learn from on of the old Masters, Maestro Mercedes Perez."
    He states his training/certification within Garrote:

"I am not a Master, far from it; I consider myself a student and a Researcher, hence my constant hunger and thirst to unveil new methods and new Masters both in Filipino martial arts and in Garrote."
    He even talks about the role of sparring in Garrote:
    "Garrote like the old Filipino systems is not drill oriented, but rather sparring oriented. A system called lineas "lines" is used to teach possible combinations, you can also see this in Fencing. So when the beginner starts playing he has some sets to fall back on."
    Mr. Girotto, I'm not sure what's going on here. Either Mr. Cruichi has dramatically changed his tune since I met him and since he penned this article, or there has been some tragic misunderstanding, or some other reason exist for the apparent differences between what I am hearing from you and what I have heard elsewhere.

Please do not take this as an attack or a challenge (I don't care enough about Garrote to challenge anybody over it to be rudely blunt). But there is conflicting information being presented and that's not good for anybody, and particularly not for the Garrote revival movement, still in its infancy in the U.S.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I think some of these posts are ancient!

Regardless I trained for a weekend with Bruno, he is a great guy and a good teacher. he did not show alot of material but went pretty in depth with what he did show. I have been practicing the material for a few years now and greatly look forward to seeing him again in May when he will be teaching GL at ISMAC in Detroit.
    Ken

"Lift up thy hands, Ilya." So he lifted them, and smote off Tzar Kalin's turbulent head, and going forth from the pavilion, he began to destroy the Tatars; and none opposed him. But he perceived that the task was not small, and so seized a Tatar by the heels, and began to beat the Tatars with a Tatar. "This Tatar is stout," quoth Ilya, "He breaketh not; he is tough, and teareth not."

My Irish stick play page:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...hillelagh.html

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

40,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,487 Posts

Thanks for sharing! You're lucky to have access to this art.

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pfrenger View Post
    I think some of these posts are ancient!
    Yup. The thread got a bump somewhere along the line here recently.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Martial Talk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Girotto. I too had the opportunity to train with Mr. Cruichi and can attest to the validity of Kirk and Ken's comments. In fact Mr. Cruichi attended my Bowie classes as well and I found him to be a totally empty cup willing to recieve new instruction without any presence of ego. Surly the man I met does not reflect the picture painted in your post. I found him to be a gifted instructor with wisdon and understanding of many, many martial arts. Respectively, I would prefer that you leave the politics of your beautiful country on the shelf and instead give us the benefit of your wisdom and years of martial experience. I am very interested in Garrote Larense and feel that it has so very much to benefit those of us who are so far away.

All My Best
    Dwight

(yep, realize this is an old post but maybe this needs to be said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors