Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

  1. #1
    darkell Guest

    Question Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    They are based in the UK mainly in and around the greater London area.

    I've found a class of theirs that I can go that is basically on my way home from work. I'm trying to choose between this and a Shorinji Kempo class. Obviously I'm going to go to the class and see for my self but I was wondering if anyone here knows of them.

    There web site is at http://kamonwingchun.com/

    Thanks in advance for any info.

  2. #2
    ed-swckf's Avatar
    ed-swckf is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    uk
    Age
    36
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkell
    They are based in the UK mainly in and around the greater London area.

    I've found a class of theirs that I can go that is basically on my way home from work. I'm trying to choose between this and a Shorinji Kempo class. Obviously I'm going to go to the class and see for my self but I was wondering if anyone here knows of them.

    There web site is at http://kamonwingchun.com/

    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Kamon is a large franchise with classes all over the UK, the quality of each individual class will depend upon the instructor of that class. I have had contact with a few good and a few not so good. When i say not so good, they do have the ability to teach you something and in the cases i have witnessed it still is wing chun just from a different perspective, for instance the chi sau and sensitivity work seems lacking but they were pretty sharp with step in drills etc. Of course what i say won't really help make up your mind, best thing to do is go down there and have a look for yourself. With a popular franchise like kamon you will easily come across people slating it for whatever reason, i say don't let any talk good or bad take priority over experiencing it for yourself. And like i say, it will depend upon the teacher in that class.

    I wish you all the best in whatever art you choose to take on.
    others walk the bow, i walk the string

  3. #3
    darkell Guest

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Thanks for the info. That class I'm looking at is the Covent Garden one. It's taught by three different instructors on three different nights. On the wednesday it taught by Master Kevin Chan himself so I think the other two guys would have to be pretty decent.

    I like the fact that everyone who gets a black belt seems to have trained for at least 6 years. I think that's a pretty good sign. But I was put off by the amount of people in one of the grading photos. There were at least a hundred... I don't particularly want to become part of some little MA factory. I suppose if you have a big school it inevitable, and the crowd thins a lot as you go up the belts.

    Like you say, I'll just have to go and see.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed-swckf
    Kamon is a large franchise with classes all over the UK, the quality of each individual class will depend upon the instructor of that class. I have had contact with a few good and a few not so good. When i say not so good, they do have the ability to teach you something and in the cases i have witnessed it still is wing chun just from a different perspective, for instance the chi sau and sensitivity work seems lacking but they were pretty sharp with step in drills etc. Of course what i say won't really help make up your mind, best thing to do is go down there and have a look for yourself. With a popular franchise like kamon you will easily come across people slating it for whatever reason, i say don't let any talk good or bad take priority over experiencing it for yourself. And like i say, it will depend upon the teacher in that class.

    I wish you all the best in whatever art you choose to take on.

  4. #4
    peterb Guest

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkell
    Thanks for the info. That class I'm looking at is the Covent Garden one. It's taught by three different instructors on three different nights. On the wednesday it taught by Master Kevin Chan himself so I think the other two guys would have to be pretty decent.

    I like the fact that everyone who gets a black belt seems to have trained for at least 6 years. I think that's a pretty good sign. But I was put off by the amount of people in one of the grading photos. There were at least a hundred... I don't particularly want to become part of some little MA factory. I suppose if you have a big school it inevitable, and the crowd thins a lot as you go up the belts.

    Like you say, I'll just have to go and see.
    Hi there,

    I train at Kamon. The reason that there are lots of people at the grading is because everyone is graded by Master Chan (with the help of top instructors). There are normally about 50 or so people grading for yellow 1 & 2 (the first 2 grades). The higher you get the less people there are grading. The ranking system goes yellow 1, yellow 2, red 1, red 2, green 1, green 2, brown 1, brown 2, black 1, 2, 3 & 4. I'm on Red 2 at the moment and I graded with about 7 other people. Greens there are normally about 5 people grading and the numbers deminish form there up.

    Covent garden class is brilliant. Expect a good workout. There is another class in Crawley on a monday which is really good as well. As has been said before different instructors do different things. Some focus on fitness, clinching, fighting etc others focus on forms, technique & stationary drills such as lok sao. Thats what I enjoy about it though you get to train with different instructors of different sizes with different out looks. We are always told that Wing Chun is like a suit taylor made for you. A big person will use Wing Chun differently to a person of a slight build.

    Master chan is also a brown belt in brazillian Jujitsu so at his classes there is normally some sort of clinch/ground work stuff going on. He's also doing seminars on ground work. I beleive he's trained in thai boxing as well.

    I beleive that the first lesson is free so... not really anything to lose.

    I hope that helps.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. #5
    CuongNhuka is offline Account Under Review - Contact AdminTeam 1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NE
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    I haven't heard of them. But welcomes to you (darkell) and peterb. I don't do Ving Tsun (anouther spelling), but Coung Nhu has elements of system, so I hang out here sometimes.

    Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

    John

  6. #6
    KamonGuy2 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master of Arts
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    I am one of the instructors at Kamon.

    I can say that the training is amongst the best you will find.

    I do not understand why ed-swckf thinks the chi sao is lacking. I have trained in the USA and many of the wing chun schools in the UK and have not found any schools that did better chi sao and certainly not better than some of the senior instructors.

    Kamon also includes a vast amount of knowledge of boxing, BJJ, MT and clinch techniques which are taught by professional instructors of those arts.

    Reason for large grading is simple - we have 45 classes over London and you are never counted as just another wing chun drone

    I have 20+ students in my class and know everything about them, what qualities they possess and my goal is to make sure they learn something

    If you train hard, work hard and are an attentive student, you will do very well. I was an Average Joe and then went to Kamon. Now I'm winning tournaments, excelling at other martial arts and running a successfull class of skilled students

  7. #7
    KamonGuy2 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master of Arts
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Have a look at our gallery
    http://www.kamonwingchun.com/Gallery.aspx

    and even our YOUTUBE debut
    www.kamonwingchun.com/gallery/YOU_TUBE_MONTAGE.wmv

    comments welcome!

  8. #8
    Changhfy is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    thanks for the links Kamon Guy.

    Might I ask being that the head Sifu is Kevin Chan, where does the name Kamon come from?

    Thanks in advance.


    Guo Su,

  9. #9
    brocklee is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    So is Kamon a MMA or a derivative of WC? There are a few post where you described actions or movements as WC, when they sound more like WT or VT.

  10. #10
    KamonGuy2 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master of Arts
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Changhfy View Post
    thanks for the links Kamon Guy.

    Might I ask being that the head Sifu is Kevin Chan, where does the name Kamon come from?
    Kamon is Kevin Chan's given name (Kin Man)

    It was called that to show respect towards his teachers and other schools
    (ie saying that he is not the original wing chun and that only people like Ip Chun have te right to call themselves 'Wing Chun' etc)

  11. #11
    KamonGuy2 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master of Arts
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by brocklee View Post
    So is Kamon a MMA or a derivative of WC? There are a few post where you described actions or movements as WC, when they sound more like WT or VT.
    Heretic!!! I despise any suggested link between us and WT!!
    For the record, we have no link towards WT.

    Can I just say though (as you sound a bit confused) WT is WC!!

    It might vary movements from classes you train at but many schools do.
    WT is called WT because the founder of that art wanted to (like Kamon is called Kamon)

    Kevin Chan was taught by Steve Mair (Sam Kwok Assoc.) before going to Hong Kong and training directly through Ip Chun. He has then trained with other various masters and understood what wing chun was trying to say.

    Kamon is wing chun. We train every movement at the core of wing chun, including three hand forms, three non-hand forms, lok sao, dan chi sao, chi sao, feeding techniques, stamping kicks, chain punches, etc

    The media gallery has Kevin Chan training other arts and often trains higher graded students other arts, but this is not part of lower level training, and is always mentioned as a separate art (ie if we train BJJ we know that it is BJJ. It is not disguised as wing chun)

    I myself train in four different arts at the moment as well as wing chun

  12. #12
    brocklee is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy View Post
    Heretic!!! I despise any suggested link between us and WT!!
    For the record, we have no link towards WT.

    Can I just say though (as you sound a bit confused) WT is WC!!

    It might vary movements from classes you train at but many schools do.
    WT is called WT because the founder of that art wanted to (like Kamon is called Kamon)

    Kevin Chan was taught by Steve Mair (Sam Kwok Assoc.) before going to Hong Kong and training directly through Ip Chun. He has then trained with other various masters and understood what wing chun was trying to say.

    Kamon is wing chun. We train every movement at the core of wing chun, including three hand forms, three non-hand forms, lok sao, dan chi sao, chi sao, feeding techniques, stamping kicks, chain punches, etc

    The media gallery has Kevin Chan training other arts and often trains higher graded students other arts, but this is not part of lower level training, and is always mentioned as a separate art (ie if we train BJJ we know that it is BJJ. It is not disguised as wing chun)

    I myself train in four different arts at the moment as well as wing chun
    That's why I was asking, I wasn't sure.

    WT is called WT for a reason. That topic should be discussed under a different thread though.

  13. #13
    CheukMo's Avatar
    CheukMo is offline
    Martial Talk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy View Post
    Kamon is Kevin Chan's given name (Kin Man)
    Good thing it's not Kin Man Tau...



    Quote Originally Posted by brocklee View Post
    WT is called WT for a reason. That topic should be discussed under a different thread though.
    Maybe there should be one...
    Do or do not, there is no try.

    Formerly known as TigerStripe

  14. #14
    brocklee is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by CheukMo View Post
    Good thing it's not Kin Man Tau...





    Maybe there should be one...
    Quite possibly. May become heated.

  15. #15
    CheukMo's Avatar
    CheukMo is offline
    Martial Talk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does anyone know how good Kamon Wing Chun is?

    Quote Originally Posted by brocklee View Post
    Quite possibly. May become heated.

    So??? Knowing the differences in styles and lineages is important in at least some cases, if not most.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

    Formerly known as TigerStripe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Wing Chun : FAQ Listing
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Wing Chun
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 08:40 AM
  2. Wing Chun History-must have 10 minutes spare to read.
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Wing Chun
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
  3. Pressure Points in Wing Chun?
    By arnisador in forum Wing Chun
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 07:50 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: table, memcache)

kamon wing chun

,
kamon wing chun sucks
,
kamon yellow 2 grading
,
kevin chan wing chun
,
sifu kevin chan rank
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.