Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jae Nam Performance

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Jae Nam Performance

The Pyang Ahn hyungs were originally all a single hyung, called Jae Name (I'm sure that this is debatable). How many of you have attempted to perform the whole thing as a single unit? If so, how do handle the transitions? I've heard of turning 90 degrees at the end of each or doing them all facing the same direction. What works best?

Do you find that doing them all at once serves a specific purpose for you or your students?

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Re: Jae Nam Performance

I've had my advanced students regularly perform the Pyung-ahns as one form - simply moving from the last move of one form right into the first move of the next (no choonbe). I also ask them to perform them in reverse order, beginning with Pyung-ahn Ohdan down through Pyung-ahn Chodan, which always seems to be more difficult for them.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

So Pyang ahn Cho Dan and Ee Dan for example end facing Northeast....is the first movement of the following performed Northwest?

Do you find that this helps them learn or remember the Pyang ahns? Or is it more of an awareness/preparedness exercise?

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

No, the next move (after the last move from the previous form) faces west like it always does.

Students tend to really have to know their forms when doing them all as one - they don't have time to stop and think where they are, just do it.

When having them go from 5 to 1, they generally mess up at PA2, then stumble and restart and can even blow PA1. Those are the forms they know best and have been doing the longest, but doing them in reverse order really throws them off for some reason (thus a great testing exercise).

The longer they go too the sloppier they can get, especailly with back stances, so it's a great cross-check.

Try it (or ask your students to) and see how they do, especially in reverse order. Something that appears to be a simple request can cause them to stumble. The other option is to just mix up the order and have them do them as one.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I've actually never tried them all together in reverse order. I used to warm up every class with running every form I know in order and cool down with every form counting down - but that was when I was the only one in class!

I've recently started (on my own) running forms back to back and facing new directions either every form. It is amazing how much we base our performance on the direction we are facing. If you're used to ending facing the flags....it really messes you up when you now end facing the mirrors....Especially with the hyung that have a lot of direction changes (e.g. jinto).

Want to confuse a class, give them a dwirotora, THEN run the forms.

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Agreed. I also used to get 4 students back to back at 45 deg. angles to the walls and have them all do the same form. Can get very interesting.... Then I'd put blind folds on them and see if they could finish the form close to the same spot they started and direction.

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

One of the requirements for cho dan at my school (and, AFAIK, the ITF in general) is gicho hyung sam bu through pyung ahn o dan, all without choon bees in-between. We often, in class, will do several forms (not necessarily in order) without returning to choon bee. Now...if there's a special way to combine all the pyung ahn forms that isn't just simple concatenation, that'd be cool, of course.
    Peace,
    JT

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JT_the_Ninja View Post
    Now...if there's a special way to combine all the pyung ahn forms that isn't just simple concatenation, that'd be cool, of course.
    Exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard that the PA hyung were all one form at one time and were broken down for ease of teaching...so what is the "proper" or originally intended way to do this?

TKD has several forms like this, in which if you do them all in sequence, they form a design (lotus blossom for taeguk I THINK, I might have the wrong form set).

Martial Talk
    2nd Black Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JT_the_Ninja View Post
    Now...if there's a special way to combine all the pyung ahn forms that isn't just simple concatenation, that'd be cool, of course.
    I've heard a lot about the supposed 'root form' of the Pyung Ahn set but, AFAIK, there's a lot more smoke about Channan than there is actual fire - http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=127 is one of the better articles I've read on the subject.

That said, alot of the pieces of Pyung Ahn are also found in Kong Song Koon. I believe Itosu (Idos) was known to practice the form. If you have to rejigger it, you may want to concentrate on KSK.
    --
    Christopher Dunn

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

The pieces are also litered throughout the Chil Sung and Yuk Ro hyung. As far as I can tell, the history of the Pyang Ahns, Jaenam (channan), even KSK is spotty. As for which came first, which is the more effective training method, etc, who knows?

The bottom line is that there may be a training purpose in working the forms as a single unit. Especially since in most schools, KSK isn't taught until much higher belts.

This thought came to mind as I was rehearsing my Haidong Gumdo forms. I have been in the habit of running 2-3 or more back to back and starting the second form facing a different direction. Even just the act of stringing two together helps to stimulate training, facing different directions helps even more. I feel that if the forms were put together, it would be a great way to test a students' performance of the forms and help in retention - especially of the higher forms, when they are tired.

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    That said, alot of the pieces of Pyung Ahn are also found in Kong Song Koon. I believe Itosu (Idos) was known to practice the form. If you have to rejigger it, you may want to concentrate on KSK.
    Don't learn that form till sam dan (we call it kong son deh), but I know what you mean.
    Last edited by JT_the_Ninja; 06-13-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: one more thing
    Peace,
    JT

Makalakumu is offline Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 740 Posts

From what I have learned, Pyung Ahn, or "Peaceful Confidence" is actually a mistranslation of Pinan, which means "Peaceful Mind."

Master Itosu, reputedly, named these forms Pinan, because he thought that they would teach a student enough self defense techniques to give a student a mind at piece because they could defend themselves.

With that being said, I think that it is best to view this set of hyung as one long piece of information, not neccessarily one hyung. Each one has its own flavor, character and principles. Zipping through all of them or seeing all as a single hyung, brushes over these differences IMHO.

I've spoken to several older Okinawan Karateka that these are the only forms a student should know all of the way up to chodan. This should give us tangsoodoin a clue as to just what kind of depth really exists in this set.
    "You can lead from the front or stab from behind."

Sensei

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Do you think it would help to do other forms in a row? such as my Keecho Hyung?

I think it may help me... lol
    Currently: Tang Soo Do: White Belt

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Absolutly, we do those all the time too, especially as a warm up exercise.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

When studying in Korea, my daily warm up consisted of every form that I knew. Cool down, the same thing backwards - GREAT way to learn forms!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors