Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Hapkido Curriculum

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hapkido Curriculum

I have lost contact with my Hapkido instructor and I never knew his intructor.

I have my own school now, primarily, Taekwondo, especially for the kids.

I do have several hard corps students who want to seriously study Hapkido. Being a 1st Dan and one without any affiliation, I can take them only so far. I wish to continue my studies.

I am thinking about joining the International Combat Hapkido Federation (ICHF.) I have attended a seminar by GrandMaster Pellegrini in the past. Both the style and philosoply appeal to me.

Other attributes that appeal to me are the comprhensive series of DVD's and seminars that are availible.

I have read what has been posted on these forums about the ICHF and GrandMaster Pellegrini and the opinions seem to be favorable. I remember years ago when Combat Hapkido came on the seen it had a lot of criticism.

It seems ideal in my situation where I am so isolated with no other Martial Arts schools within an hours drive.

Any thoughts?

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: Hapkido Curriculum

This is nothing more than my personal opinion, based upon your interest in continuining your Hapkido Training. I have reviewed the ICHF Master level DVD's and in all honesty, NOT IMPRESSED!....

The mindset that is offered, I agree with, but the technique offerings are somewhat questionable (mpo). In order to use the term "Hapkido", I believe that Mr. P had to offer something different, than what is already being taught, just change for change sake. Otherwise there would be no real need or justification for the assignment of a "new kwan". I would suggest that your initial review of past history here at MT, regarding MR. P and the ICHF did not go far enough back. Perhaps another more indepth search may offer a broader scope of information / opinions on the subject.
    While I don't consider myself to be a died in the wool traditionalist, I do have reservations when dealing with, what I consider, questionable training material.

I realize that there are folks that have great zeal for what the ICHF offers and some even have some formalized Hapkido training, prior to joining the ICHF. I confess that I have to scratch my head and ask why, but it seems to sever their purpose and in reality, that's all that matters I guess.
    Albert Einstein said;
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and mans stupidity and I'm not to sure about the universe........

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrylamar View Post
    I am thinking about joining the International Combat Hapkido Federation (ICHF.) I have attended a seminar by GrandMaster Pellegrini in the past. Both the style and philosoply appeal to me.

Other attributes that appeal to me are the comprhensive series of DVD's and seminars that are availible.

I have read what has been posted on these forums about the ICHF and GrandMaster Pellegrini and the opinions seem to be favorable. I remember years ago when Combat Hapkido came on the seen it had a lot of criticism.

It seems ideal in my situation where I am so isolated with no other Martial Arts schools within an hours drive.

Any thoughts?
    Combat Hapkido and the ICHF ALWAYS be a subject of controversy and discussion, either you like it or you don't..The same with Grandmaster Pellegrini..I came from a traditional backround ( Shorin-Ryu) and loved what I saw at one seminar that I joined the ICHF and began to study with a passion...
    ------------------------------------------------

" The Ratz are my idol, but I am my ideal" Eric Von Zipper..

www.ichfohio.com

Brian R. VanCise is offline Living on the Razors Edge

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Your best bet is to try what is available and then choose which Hapkido group you wish to belong to. I have had the opportunity to train with several Hapkido people in the past and they all had something distinctly different to offer. Personally I feel that Combat Hapkido has quite a bit going for it!
    Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/
    Ancient Origins - Modern Applications

Change and strife are the natural order of the universe! Enjoy the change and embrace the strife!

I Burn!

Train With Purpose, Train With Passion, Train Alive!™

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Will the ICHF still accept a Black Belt from another recognized organization to convert to a Dan in ICHF.

I remember this was so many years ago, but cannot find any information on their website.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Will the ICHF still accept a Black Belt from another recognized organization to convert to a Dan in ICHF.

I remember this was so many years ago, but cannot find any information on their website.
    They did it not too long ago..That question must be directed to Grandmaster Pellegrini at http://www.dsihq.com
    ------------------------------------------------

" The Ratz are my idol, but I am my ideal" Eric Von Zipper..

www.ichfohio.com

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I started in trad hapkido but converted to ICHF after my GM passed. Ihave loved it and renewing my membership to life time. The reason i chose ICHF over other hapkido orgs was the very real street self-d.
    The one thing i did though was give the techs nicknames instead of the numbers. If you like i can email you an excel spread sheet.

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I've been to a few ICHF seminars given by Master Brian McCann in the past, and would definitely study it if were a little closer and I had the time. Some day though!

But I think Brian's advice is the best here; try all the Hapkido that is nearby to you and pick the one you like best.
    Please visit freerice.com if you get bored online

"remember always....that a wise man walks with his head bowed....humble....like the dust..."

Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I was a 3rd Dan under Ki Whan Choi here in San Antonio, he died in the late 80's, his brother still teaches in the Houston area, I also have a friend who does a style of Hapkido called Hoi Jeon Mool Soo Hapkido, they're cool. I dont have thier website, but should be easy to find on the net. The Master studied with Young Sul Choi and Ji Han Jae.

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

My problem is that there are no Hapkido Schools of any kind with 150 miles. San Antonio, TX is the closest city with any available.

I have decided to go with the International Combat Hapkido Federation. I can get plenty of help with their DVD's and Seminars.

I am not clear on a couple of things, such as the Instructor Certificate and any Time in Grade requirements. I am in contact with them and will get that resolved.

My 1st Dan will transfer over the ICHF. Now I need to learn the curriculim up to Black Belt, then start in on my 2nd Dan.

I thank everyone for there help and suggestions.

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hapkenkido View Post
    The one thing i did though was give the techs nicknames instead of the numbers. If you like i can email you an excel spread sheet.
    Sure, if you don't mind. I, usually, don't have problems remembering techniques by the numbers, but if it helps, I'm all for it.

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I got to talk to Trina Pellegrini the other day. It started out with emails, then we talked. She put her husband on the phone and we discussed all my concerns.

He is willing to help, far more than I ever would have expected.

So, I am going with the ICHF. Perhaps, I can get some more adults in the school. I have enrolled over 30 rug rats in a little less than 30 days since I took over.

Luckily, I wear my hair Marine Corps short or I would have pulled it all out by now.

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I did join the ICHF as a Charter School. I received my Package on Friday. The challenge is to now enroll adults into the program. I know a few are interested.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I did join the ICHF as a Charter School. I received my Package on Friday. The challenge is to now enroll adults into the program. I know a few are interested.
    I wish you the best in this. I'm glad I happened into Combat Hapkido. I didn't go searching for it, but I found it and with it came some new people that have been great to train with and to know.
    -------------------------
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 709 Posts

I know that it has only been a little over two weeks, but what do you think of the package? Have you been able to apply any of it in your classes? And if so, how did it go?

Hope all went well.

Daniel

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsors