Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GM JI Han Jae

puunui is offline Banned User 1,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 668 Posts

Re: GM JI Han Jae

Quote Originally Posted by iron_ox View Post
    Glenn, you posted Ji got an 8th Dan in 1967 - simple question, who issued it??
    The Korea Hapkido Association. The President of the KHA at the time was Mr. PARK Jong Kyu, who was head of the ROK Presidential Protective Forces, which some say made him the second or third most powerful person in Korea, along with KCIA Head/Prime Minister KIM Jong Pil. Mr. PARK Jong Kyu formed the KHA, under ROK President PARK Chung Hee's authority.

It has nothing to do with me, you made the statement - stop trying to divert the issue and simply answer the question. Or, if it an issue of you being told that, and not knowing the answer, then that would be the answer, that you don't know. There is no reason to try and personalize something that is based on a piece of information that you provide.
    The only person who is personalizing this is you. If you don't wish to answer the questions, for whatever reason, then don't answer them.

Thanks

Lots of people went to train with a man named Dan Hydrick, he was featured on That's Incredible...his skills seems superhuman - until he was exposed as a fraud...so, going and training with someone is not always any moniker of their training, just their skill on that day. And we are talking about an abject list of rank and their issue dates, so training with someone is kind of an apples - oranges argument to me.
    Are you calling GM Ji a fraud?

Did Choi Dojunim protest the rank? That's a good question, but he certainly did not issue it.
    Maybe not, but what is also certain is that GM Ji has more training days with GM Choi than you do, and yet you choose to disrespect him every chance you get. That's certainly worth noting, in my opinion. Have you ever met GM Ji? How about GM Choi? I ask because you certainly speak about them like you have.

And, as for the issue of whether all the other rank that has been issued by him is legit, I think that would depend on what one gets rank in. In my opinion, in Sin Moo, the founder can issue whatever rank he wants right?
    Anyone can do whatever they want, as long as they are willing to accept the consequences for their actions.

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Mushi Mushi Re: GM JI Han Jae

Quote Originally Posted by puunui View Post
    The Korea Hapkido Association. The President of the KHA at the time was Mr. PARK Jong Kyu, who was head of the ROK Presidential Protective Forces, which some say made him the second or third most powerful person in Korea, along with KCIA Head/Prime Minister KIM Jong Pil. Mr. PARK Jong Kyu formed the KHA, under ROK President PARK Chung Hee's authority.
    Did Mr. PARK Jong Kyu have Hapkido training? Or was this an administrative posting via the government to regulate the KHA?

Not speaking for Iron Ox, but in my opinion it isn't a matter for the use of the word 'fraud'. GM JI doesn't fit that descriptor. He has skill(s) which could be demonstrated. Apparently, he also was/is a very good teacher and has/does offer something that is lasting the test of time. To me, a fraud would be someone with little experience printing out a 10th Dan cert on the computer. Or charging for certificates in an organization they don't represent. Things of that nature.

I think the question was whether one could be an 8th Dan in as little as 16 (or 18) years. The answer to that obviously will change from the perspective of the person answering. To be fair, at that time it may have been considered necessary in order to establish a hierarchy within the art and/or an particular organization. Glenn could probably answer that question.

My only caveat would be that if one accepts this duration, for that rank, then they should be fair and balanced across the board when considering others time/rank.

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kong Soo Do View Post
    Did Mr. PARK Jong Kyu have Hapkido training? Or was this an administrative posting via the government to regulate the KHA?

Not speaking for Iron Ox, but in my opinion it isn't a matter for the use of the word 'fraud'. GM JI doesn't fit that descriptor. He has skill(s) which could be demonstrated. Apparently, he also was/is a very good teacher and has/does offer something that is lasting the test of time. To me, a fraud would be someone with little experience printing out a 10th Dan cert on the computer. Or charging for certificates in an organization they don't represent. Things of that nature.

I think the question was whether one could be an 8th Dan in as little as 16 (or 18) years. The answer to that obviously will change from the perspective of the person answering. To be fair, at that time it may have been considered necessary in order to establish a hierarchy within the art and/or an particular organization. Glenn could probably answer that question.

My only caveat would be that if one accepts this duration, for that rank, then they should be fair and balanced across the board when considering others time/rank.
    Miguksaram said "go train with the man" - I raised the issue that seeing anyone person on a single day does not mean they are who or what they say they are. Read the post again.
    Sincerely,
    Kevin Sogor
    chicagohapkido.com

Preserving Authentic Hapkido for future generations.
    (Not the only one, just one who is...)

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I was only commenting on the word 'fraud' since it had been brought up and offered an opinion as to if it applied to this situation.

I'd still like to know;

I think it is interesting to note that this questions hasn't been touched in several days. It is a simple question.

I think it is also interesting to note the lack of a level playing field.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong Soo Do For This Useful Post:

iron_ox (03-05-2012)

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

I was only commenting on the word 'fraud' since it had been brought up and offered an opinion as to if it applied to this situation.

I'd still like to know;

I think it is interesting to note that this questions hasn't been touched in several days. It is a simple question.

I think it is also interesting to note the lack of a level playing field.
    Just wanted to make sure that my post was understood. I don't necessarily believe that training with someone once or twice can tell you about their true level of skill overall. I guess that is also true if one is simply checking out someone's background in general, even before they train, it can be very difficult if someone's life story is constantly undergoing historical revisionism. I know it must be difficult to get all media outlets to get everything correct at the same time!
    Sincerely,
    Kevin Sogor
    chicagohapkido.com

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Just wanted to make sure that my post was understood.
    No problem

I don't necessarily believe that training with someone once or twice can tell you about their true level of skill overall.
    I agree. To take it further, I have seen people overlook what could be seen as questionable, if it is someone they like while at the same time 'question' or comment negatively on those they don't like, even if the person they don't like exceeds the standards of the one they do like. On top of this, they may or may not truly know the level of skill of the one(s) they question or negatively comment on. They may actually know nothing first-hand about them. This is why I commented on the lack of a level playing field. It is a double-standard.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong Soo Do For This Useful Post:

iron_ox (03-05-2012)

Thanks

Just wanted to make sure that my post was understood. I don't necessarily believe that training with someone once or twice can tell you about their true level of skill overall. I guess that is also true if one is simply checking out someone's background in general, even before they train, it can be very difficult if someone's life story is constantly undergoing historical revisionism. I know it must be difficult to get all media outlets to get everything correct at the same time!
    It is obvious that you have an agenda with respect to GM Ji. No problem. If you wish to swim upstream and fight the world, knock yourself out. I guarantee you that he doesn't care about what you think and what you say, anymore than I do.

Go for it.

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Originally Posted by iron_ox
    Glenn, you posted Ji got an 8th Dan in 1967 - simple question, who issued it??
    Quote Originally Posted by puunui View Post
    I've been asking the question of whether or not Mr. PARK had Hapkido experience, in that he could issue someone an 8th Dan. Looking back, it hit me that you listed him a Mr. rather than Master or GM. This would seem to answer my question that he either had no Hapkido training or was not of sufficient rank to issue anyone an 8th Dan. This then, if I understand, would have been an administrative type post for the government and not one of actual experience.

I suppose this is okay, though perhaps a bit odd. One typically thinks of someone of greater experience, or at least higher rank being the issuing athority in such things. I'm not indicating this is wrong or that there is a problem with it. I know that the Japanese ministry did something similar decades earlier when looking into officially sanctioning karate in Japan. I guess it all boils down to the value that one places on the certification that is issued by a governing authority.

My thanks to everyone that has participated in this thread. It has proven enlightening.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong Soo Do For This Useful Post:

iron_ox (03-05-2012)

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Interesting tidbit that was passed on to me; according to Scott Shaw;

The reason President Park was so in favor of this new organization was, in no small part, due to the fact that Park, Jong Kyu, a student of Ji, Han Jae and head of the Presidential Protective Forces, was an instrumental element in its formation. In 1973 Ji, Han Jae resigned from this organization, with the hopes of taking many of its members with him and bringing them to a new organization he was instrumental in creating: The Republic of Korea Hapkido Association.
    http://www.tkd-hapkido.com/hapkido_history.htm

This would seem to put the student ranking the teacher???

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kong Soo Do For This Useful Post:

iron_ox (03-05-2012)

MJS

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

30,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,040 Posts

Folks,

We've already had a few posts from this thread brought to our attention. Lets keep the thread on topic please. I realize that some may disagree with other members posts. Disagreement is part of life. No need to publically air this stuff in the forum.

MJS
    MT Asst. Admin

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

This would seem to put the student ranking the teacher???
    According to Wikipedia (not always the best resource): "Before he left Korea a former student, Myung Jae-Nam, the head of the International H.K.D Federation, awarded Ji Han-Jae a 10th Dan"

I can only go on the information provided in the original post, but if this is the same 10th dan from 1983 (it might not be) then it appears that rank was garnered again from a student.

Now that is interesting huh?

Assuming the wiki is correct.

Maybe there was another 10th dan issued by another person or group.
    Last edited by iron_ox; 03-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Kevin Sogor
    chicagohapkido.com

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Looking back over this thread has been highly interesting. And I would prefer the thread to be fair and balanced. By this, I mean, that in no way am I suggesting GM JI has done anything wrong. Many could see his rise to 8th and 9th Dan as being far too short a time. But that begs the question of what is the standard they are judging the time by i.e. what ruler are you using to measure? I could also see a student ranking him if the student(s) were placed in positions of authority within or at the top of a specific organization. Now, I can't say where or not this was a 'good-ole-boy' promotion or not as I wasn't there and don't know the specifics. Others would have to offer their input if they have some factual information.

Another consideration is that the KHF may have shorter TIG requirements as a whole than what is 'typically' thought of for the martial arts. And this is fine as well as they are their own governing authority and can set standards as they see fit. I don't know what their TIG standards are so I'd like to ask someone who would know i.e. puunui. If I remember correctly, you are a 9th Dan in this organization under GM JI (or you were under him at some point). Simply asked, how long did it take you to earn your 9th Dan? How long had you been training in Hapkido prior to earning this rank? Could this be considered an average time for Hapkido students in this organization? Thank you.

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Taking a look at this again, from another perspective. Uechi Kannei Sensei didn't adopt the Dan/Kyu system until the mid 50's. By this time, he probably had at or around 30 years of training and teaching experience. I'd have to go back and check the dates, but I'm pretty close. Senior students (ones that had trained under Uechi Kanbun Sensei) only went to 4th or 5th Dan when the Dan/Kyu system was implemented. Many of which probably had more than 20 years of training. They didn't seem to be as interested in 'rank' in Okinawa or at this time as later day Korea appears to be. Perhaps 16-18 years would better warrant a 5th Dan...perhaps maybe a 6th Dan if somewhat traditional standards are being adhered to in the art.

Again, just looking at it from a different perspective i.e. different art/culture/era.

I'm still curious as to the TIG guidelines of those under GM Ji to see if they were also of much shorter duration than what one would consider 'traditional' or 'standard'. I'm disappointed that this information hasn't been offered by those here with first hand knowledge i.e. trained under GM JI and/or belong to the same organizations and/or are of comparable rank. It would help to make a good comparison of standards within this branch of the art.

At any rate, it is very interesting to compare and contrast cultures/arts/eras etc with the information that we do have on hand. Gives one some historical perspective and insight. I like this sort of thing.

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

This came up in the TKD section, but I wanted to re-post it here where it was more forum-specific.

GM Ji Han Jae was born in 1936 and didn't begin under Choi, Yung Sul until the age of 13. So, doing a little math, he was an 8th Dan within 16 years.

• Who ranked JI Han Jae to 8th Dan?
    • Is 16 years of training enough to reach this level, in your opinion? Why or why not?
    Hapkido has always had a dubious ranking history, and still does, but that does not make the art a fraud. To begin with, it is doubtful if Choi had any rank in Daito Ryu from Takeda Sokaku. After all, there is no record of him training with Takeda, and he claimed that his documentatio got lost on a train. This is dubious to say the least.
    When Choi was teaching, he refered to his art as Yawara. It was Ji who named his art Hapkido. I believe Ji was ranked to 3rd Dan by Choi, but the art of Hapkido and subsequently Sin Moo Hapkido was developed by Ji. The Danjun breathing, special kicking techniques, and some of the more philosophical charateristics were all incorporated by Ji. Therefore it is par for the course that he would be a high rank, at a young age, because he created the art.
    My Hapkido teacher. Massan Ghorbani began his Hapkido training in , I believe 1991 or 1992, by 1996 he was promoted to 6th Dan. A similar time frame can be seen with Jurg Ziegler of Switzerland. Both of these gentlemen are now 10th Dan, and, along with GM Young and GM McKenzie will ensure the art survives into the next generation as Ji envisions it.
    I have been an uke for Ji, and I can tell you that he is powerful and still makes an effort to train, even in his advanced age.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsors