Thread: The Phaser Explained

Sukerkin is offline Have the courage to speak softly

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,433 Posts

The Phaser Explained

A bit of a step aside from the more 'serious' weapon videos in this fora but nonetheless quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVwp...eature=related
    Jitatomoni Urami Kakotsu Kokoronashi - advice I am very poor at implementing

Rembo no michi omoi kokoro nashi - proof that not all old wisdom is all that wise

"The tough part comes when you SEE the world the way it really is and want to go back to how you used to see it--and can't. ." - Andy Moynihan

"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error." U.S. Supreme Court in American Communications Association v. Douds

Donít cry because itís over. Smile because it happened.

40,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,428 Times in 2,438 Posts

Re: The Phaser Explained

kool
    Webmaster:
    Free E-Book: ď5 Things You Can Fix On Your Website.Ē

And if we should die tonight, We should all die together, Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    "For as surely as night follows day, there comes a time when even gods must die."

For Issues regarding MartialTalk please use the Contact Us link. Thank you

Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Pretty cool idea, but the guy presenting it gets a wee bit too serious at times...

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I recall somewhere (in my infinite reading of Sci-fi mags, books, novels, et al) that the phasers and blasters (of Star Wars) were comprised of plasma... in fact I think the History Channel's show of "The Science Of Star Wars" talked about that...
    But this guy's explanation does seem plausible.

Now... question is... how is all of that powered and contained within the various hand-held devices of Star Trek's universe... from the cigarette pack sized hand-held models of the original series (which were also clipped on to a handled mod for more traditional weaponry to the big clunky models used in the Next Generation...?

Like to see the video on that.

In other words... we see what it's made of but how does it all work??
    A nation of sheep will get a government of wolves. ~Edward R. Murrow
    Really smart wolves know that the most suspicious looking wolf in the pack is the one disguised as a sheep. Really smart wolves disguise themselves as friendly wolves. ~Daniel Quinn (from The Story Of B)
    Check out http://caughtinabindnovel.blogspot.com/ if you're into zombie stories. Leave comments please.

Sukerkin is offline Have the courage to speak softly

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,433 Posts

It's the power requirements that boggle my mind more than anything else.

The Warp Core in the Enterprise's engine I can accept - it's good and BIG and engine-roomy .

But a power source that's the size of a big battery that can be used in a hand held energy-weapon is harder to take on.

Because of the existence of the Replicator's and the Transporter it has always been clear that in the Star Trek universe we have conquered the matter-energy-energy-matter conversion that is the gateway to so much. It's actually one of the things I've always had to 'ignore' in the series' as if you can do that, you can pretty much do anything.

But leaving that aside, then how you power a phaser is clearly done with matter-energy conversion rather than matter-anti-matter annihilation.

"Clearly" of course comes with the proviso that ... Dammit Jim! I'm an economist, a historian and an engineer, not a theoretical physicist! .
    Jitatomoni Urami Kakotsu Kokoronashi - advice I am very poor at implementing

Rembo no michi omoi kokoro nashi - proof that not all old wisdom is all that wise

"The tough part comes when you SEE the world the way it really is and want to go back to how you used to see it--and can't. ." - Andy Moynihan

"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from falling into error." U.S. Supreme Court in American Communications Association v. Douds

Donít cry because itís over. Smile because it happened.

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sukerkin View Post
    It's the power requirements that boggle my mind more than anything else.

The Warp Core in the Enterprise's engine I can accept - it's good and BIG and engine-roomy .

But a power source that's the size of a big battery that can be used in a hand held energy-weapon is harder to take on.

Because of the existence of the Replicator's and the Transporter it has always been clear that in the Star Trek universe we have conquered the matter-energy-energy-matter conversion that is the gateway to so much. It's actually one of the things I've always had to 'ignore' in the series' as if you can do that, you can pretty much do anything.

But leaving that aside, then how you power a phaser is clearly done with matter-energy conversion rather than matter-anti-matter annihilation.

"Clearly" of course comes with the proviso that ... Dammit Jim! I'm an economist, a historian and an engineer, not a theoretical physicist! .
    Clearly of course, you have way too much time on your hands....

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Wow that was pretty cool.

Sponsors