Thread: HIPAA for veterinarians?!?

Flea is offline Beating you all over those fries!
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

HIPAA for veterinarians?!?

Rather than getting my pets vaccinated at my regular vet, I went to a cheapo clinic offered at a church fundraiser last October. We got everything done at about a third of the price. The discount was a godsend, they gave me excellent paperwork, and I even got them all registered with the county at the same time. I duly dropped all this paperwork off with my regular vet, and they congratulated me on scoring such a good deal. No problems.

I have an appointment with my regular vet tomorrow to get Fido groomed. When I called in on Friday, they said they couldn't find Fido's shot records. The receptionist said that they couldn't just call the other clinic to get it faxed over. Why? New privacy laws! I have to bring it in personally.

Since I'm coming anyway it's not a problem, but I'm a little dumbfounded over this. I can see all sorts of practical applications for privacy laws on human medical records. But it's not as if if my dog stands to lose a job or get blackmailed over having worms. Is someone going to steal his identity to get an illegal prescription for a flea collar? Maybe fake some credentials for a Canine Good Citizen certificate?

Usually I'm a big fan of hands-on government (see the social programs thread.) But this has me scratching my head. Can anyone tell me the point of applying HIPAA to pets? I'd love to know. My vet's receptionist would too.
    We can fail and fail. But, deep against the failure, something wars. Something goes forward, something lights a match, Something gets up from Sangamon County ground armed with a bitten and a blunted axe. And after twenty thousand wasted strokes brings the tall hemlock crashing to the ground. - Steven Vincent Benet

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: HIPAA for veterinarians?!?

It might be that too many owners are seeing their pets as humans lol! Dogs are now getting married, have parties, their own clothes shops, hotels etc so maybe owners feel all laws apply to their pets!
    The only thing I can think of is that your details could be the ones being kept confidential? Your address,phone number, bank details that sort of thing?
    I fight. Not simply with my opponent. I fight with the demons of doubt. With my exhaustion, with my past failures, with my injuries, with my anonymity, with the unrelenting voice that tells me to stop. But I am a fighter. And one thing is sure. I will be victorious.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/980/743/044/

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that your details could be the ones being kept confidential? Your address,phone number, bank details that sort of thing?
    It's possible. But then why wouldn't the laws apply to anything where a person has repeat business, like the grocery store? No, I think the issue is the health care aspect. I'll have to ask about it at the vet tomorrow. I find this quite intriguing.
    We can fail and fail. But, deep against the failure, something wars. Something goes forward, something lights a match, Something gets up from Sangamon County ground armed with a bitten and a blunted axe. And after twenty thousand wasted strokes brings the tall hemlock crashing to the ground. - Steven Vincent Benet

Martial Talk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    It might be that too many owners are seeing their pets as humans lol! Dogs are now getting married, have parties, their own clothes shops, hotels etc so maybe owners feel all laws apply to their pets!
    They also don't want everyone and their mother knowing about "Fido's" ketamine prescription...
    Surround yourself with human beings. They're easier to fight for than principles.

Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Thanks

Nuke Re: HIPAA for veterinarians?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    They also don't want everyone and their mother knowing about "Fido's" ketamine prescription...
    I gotta tell you I think anyone who shoots themselves up with pig tranq pretty much get what they deserve. Who was the idiot that thought it was a good idea in the 1st place?
    " hey look, really cheap pig tranq, known for giving even pigs bad trips, lets shoot up".
    Morons
    lori
    Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil. Nietzsche, Friedrich

"The mind can calculate, the spirit yearns but
    the heart knows what the heart knows."
    Stephen King

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel308 View Post
    I gotta tell you I think anyone who shoots themselves up with pig tranq pretty much get what they deserve. Who was the idiot that thought it was a good idea in the 1st place?
    " hey look, really cheap pig tranq, known for giving even pigs bad trips, lets shoot up".
    Morons
    lori
    I donno, addiction can do some pretty bizarre things to people. Many years ago I had a friend who was a recovering addict. He was legendary at parties; strangers would approach him with a handful of random pills and say "take these."

<shrug> Okay.

Two days later he'd wake up in the ICU, go out, and do it all over again. No accounting for taste I guess. In retrospect he says that those were the best days of his life, and he doesn't remember a thing.

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster

5,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Is there any of your own personally identifiable information in the pets records? Your address? Your phone number? SSN? Maybe copies of invoices/bills/receipts?

Also, it sounds like there may have some confusion regarding HIPAA and veterinary medicine (http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/npi.asp) and maybe that confusionn lingers?
    -------------------------
    "We have the power to defy the selfish genes of our birth and, if necessary, the selfish memes of our indoctrination.". -Richard Dawkins

Martial Talk
    3rd Black Belt
    Thanks

Red face Re: HIPAA for veterinarians?!?

Flea Baby, every once in a while I get on my high horse and start to preach from up-on-high. I need to be hauled back down and reminded "there but for the grace of God go I". Point taken, you are right, my bad.
    lori
    Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil. Nietzsche, Friedrich

"The mind can calculate, the spirit yearns but
    the heart knows what the heart knows."
    Stephen King

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.