Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Last post Archery

  1. #1
    blackswordshinobi is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    ny
    Age
    47
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Last post Archery

    THIS LAST POST ARCHRTY
    does any one like archery if found that shooting arrow's is fun and a relaxing but all in my modern training but still part of ninjutsu
    my Ben Pearson is compound bow 105 pound pull bear finger part my weapon's..

    i wont have time becaues of training and nice's day that can work on lot of ninjutsu!
    Last edited by blackswordshinobi; 04-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline



    40,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Land of the Free
    Age
    43
    Posts
    46,826
    Thanks
    3,544
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    24
    Rep Power
    63

    Re: Last post Archery

    I used to shoot, haven't had time the last few years. Just a traditional long bow for me though.
    Webmaster:
    WNY MartialArts- Your source to WNY's Martial Arts See Also : Managed Web Hosting | Web Design | Consulting | Photography | Martial Arts Photography
    And if we should die tonight, We should all die together, Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    "For as surely as night follows day, there comes a time when even gods must die."

    For Issues regarding MartialTalk please use the Contact Us link. Thank you


  3. #3
    Sanke's Avatar
    Sanke is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    Archery is great fun, but shooting a compound bow has almost nothing to do with kyujutsu/do, how a bow was used in ancient Japan, or ninjutsu in general. It just means you can shoot a compound bow.

    I'm not saying don't have a shoot once in a while, but there's no point lying to yourself about what you're doing.
    If you want to do actual Japanese archery, take up kyudo. I would if I could (no clubs in Melbourne ).


    Sanke on the move.
    Sanke (Pete)

    "Traditional Martial arts are not so exciting, as there is no title match. Only pain. Pain and patience. They need a long time until mastery" -Fumio "Unsui" Manaka-Sensei

  4. #4
    puunui is offline Banned User 1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,378
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 666 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanke View Post
    If you want to do actual Japanese archery, take up kyudo. I would if I could (no clubs in Melbourne ).
    You should move here. There is a kyudo class here, taught by my friend's father, who used to be the head priest at one of the buddhist temples. Or at least there used to be a class.

  5. #5
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline



    40,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Land of the Free
    Age
    43
    Posts
    46,826
    Thanks
    3,544
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    24
    Rep Power
    63

    Re: Last post Archery

    Wish I had the time to take up kyudo.
    Webmaster:
    WNY MartialArts- Your source to WNY's Martial Arts See Also : Managed Web Hosting | Web Design | Consulting | Photography | Martial Arts Photography
    And if we should die tonight, We should all die together, Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    "For as surely as night follows day, there comes a time when even gods must die."

    For Issues regarding MartialTalk please use the Contact Us link. Thank you


  6. #6
    blackswordshinobi is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    ny
    Age
    47
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Last post Archery

    doesn't mean know just compound bow you have learn safety to i mess up pound it actually 150 pound not 105 pound but have take stand your stance clear breth notch the arrow and let fly after aiming 10 to 20 time then do all over again then learn kneeling standing there more then just shoot a bow it is a repeating action speed shooting combatvie archery and tactical archery for 10 dollar hour every month or two month!!

    bob you love it
    Last edited by blackswordshinobi; 04-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.

  7. #7
    Sanke's Avatar
    Sanke is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by blackswordshinobi View Post
    doesn't mean know just compound bow you have learn safety to i mess up pound it actually 150 pound not 105 pound but have take stand your stance clear breth notch the arrow and let fly after aiming 10 to 20 time then do all over again then learn kneeling standing there more then just shoot a bow it is a repeating action speed shooting combatvie archery and tactical archery for 10 dollar hour every month or two month!!

    That sounds like great fun, Billy. Still has absolutely nothing to do with Japanese archery or ninjutsu whatsoever. The type of bow is different, the arrows are different, the usage and purposes are completely different, the techniques are most certainly different, hopefully you get where I'm going with this.

    For the record though, all that you just said would, in my mind, still come under learning how to use a compound bow, so you're kinda agreeing with me here.
    Sanke (Pete)

    "Traditional Martial arts are not so exciting, as there is no title match. Only pain. Pain and patience. They need a long time until mastery" -Fumio "Unsui" Manaka-Sensei

  8. #8
    blackswordshinobi is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    ny
    Age
    47
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Last post Archery

    i been shoot for long time im a bowmen thrid class it part of my training for monderen ninjutsu and day went good couldent video it but still had good day i need get finger gloves

  9. #9
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline



    40,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Land of the Free
    Age
    43
    Posts
    46,826
    Thanks
    3,544
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    24
    Rep Power
    63

    Re: Last post Archery

    Part I hated was when the string hit my arm. Finally got an arm guard. Billy, do you draw with your fingers, or use a release? When I was shooting regularly it was all manual.
    Webmaster:
    WNY MartialArts- Your source to WNY's Martial Arts See Also : Managed Web Hosting | Web Design | Consulting | Photography | Martial Arts Photography
    And if we should die tonight, We should all die together, Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    "For as surely as night follows day, there comes a time when even gods must die."

    For Issues regarding MartialTalk please use the Contact Us link. Thank you


  10. #10
    blackswordshinobi is offline Banned User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    ny
    Age
    47
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Last post Archery

    finger i dont like use the release

  11. #11
    puunui is offline Banned User 1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,378
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 666 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Wish I had the time to take up kyudo.
    Make time. Is there a kyudo class nearby?

  12. #12
    Chris Parker's Avatar
    Chris Parker is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master


    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    4,681
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by blackswordshinobi View Post
    i been shoot for long time im a bowmen thrid class it part of my training for monderen ninjutsu and day went good couldent video it but still had good day i need get finger gloves
    Billy, archery is great fun, so congratulations on attaining some skill in it. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with Ninjutsu. You're doing a modern Western form of archery, which is so different to Japanese archery (which anything to do with Ninjutsu would be) that you cannot claim it as part of Ninjutsu training at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Part I hated was when the string hit my arm. Finally got an arm guard. Billy, do you draw with your fingers, or use a release? When I was shooting regularly it was all manual.
    Here's a few of those differences.

    In Western archery, the draw (and release) is done with your fingers, pulling straight back as you raise the bow. This results in the release causing the bowstring to strike the inside of your forearm.

    In Japanese archery, the draw (and release) is done with your thumb, by first raising your bow above your head, then drawing back as you lower the bow. The release (when done with the proper grip) sees the bow spin 360 degrees, and the bowstring impacts the back of your forearm.

    The arrows in Western archery are fairly universal, in Japanese archery they are personalised to the user (due to the longer draw). Japanese archery has a completely different method of aiming (due to the different draw), the bow is completely different itself (with the same power as a typical longbow, but requiring a much lower pull).

    Western archery has nothing to do with Ninjutsu.

    However, there is a forum specific to archery, which would be the perfect place for this thread.
    With respect,
    Chris Parker

    www.ninjutsuaustralia.com

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Parker For This Useful Post:

    Sanke (04-06-2012)

  14. #13
    Flying Crane's Avatar
    Flying Crane is online now
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster
    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,499
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 838 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by blackswordshinobi View Post
    doesn't mean know just compound bow you have learn safety to i mess up pound it actually 150 pound not 105 pound
    150 pounds, eh? well I have a Hungarian horse bow, recurve, that pulls at 110# at 30 inches. I know what it's like to pull a heavy bow. I know how difficult it is, and I know how much work it takes to develop the strength to pull that bow. Mainly because I'm still working on it.

    If you can pull a bow at 150#, you must be a gorilla, and you must be doing it at least twice a week without fail, or you will lose that strength.

    is this you?

    Honestly, I've never heard of a compound bow made to that poundage. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I've never heard of it. Bows of that power that I've heard of, are all long bows or recurves, and are usually specific to a cultural archery method, like English War Bow or Hungarian or other Asian recurve methods.
    Regards, Michael
    www.flyingcranedesigns.com
    De Gustibus Non Disputante Est.
    One of the original Four HEROIC Cynical Curmudgeons, and darn proud of it!
    "Having an 'iron' whatever will do you little good if you don't know how to properly use it." -HG1

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Flying Crane For This Useful Post:

    Brian R. VanCise (08-10-2012)

  16. #14
    Supra Vijai's Avatar
    Supra Vijai is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 86 Times in 65 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanke View Post
    Archery is great fun, but shooting a compound bow has almost nothing to do with kyujutsu/do, how a bow was used in ancient Japan, or ninjutsu in general. It just means you can shoot a compound bow.

    I'm not saying don't have a shoot once in a while, but there's no point lying to yourself about what you're doing.
    If you want to do actual Japanese archery, take up kyudo. I would if I could (no clubs in Melbourne ).


    Sanke on the move.
    Hey Sanke, remind me to catch up with you over the weekend or in class at least. I think I may have found a study group for Kyudo right here and was gonna ask if you wanted to check it out with me!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Supra Vijai For This Useful Post:

    Sanke (08-14-2012)

  18. #15
    Brian R. VanCise's Avatar
    Brian R. VanCise is offline Living on the Razors Edge


    20,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    24,120
    Thanks
    3,110
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 619 Posts
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Last post Archery

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Crane View Post
    150 pounds, eh? well I have a Hungarian horse bow, recurve, that pulls at 110# at 30 inches. I know what it's like to pull a heavy bow. I know how difficult it is, and I know how much work it takes to develop the strength to pull that bow. Mainly because I'm still working on it.

    If you can pull a bow at 150#, you must be a gorilla, and you must be doing it at least twice a week without fail, or you will lose that strength.

    is this you?

    Honestly, I've never heard of a compound bow made to that poundage. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I've never heard of it. Bows of that power that I've heard of, are all long bows or recurves, and are usually specific to a cultural archery method, like English War Bow or Hungarian or other Asian recurve methods.
    Like you I have been around bow's almost all my life from recurve, compound, Korean horn bow, crossbow, etc. I really doubt that his bow is set at 150 lbs. Most compound bows are around 50 lbs or a little more. Typically with a crossbow you start around 150 lbs and go up into the 250 lb range.
    Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/
    Ancient Origins - Modern Applications


    Change and strife are the natural order of the universe! Enjoy the change and embrace the strife!

    I Burn!

    Train With Purpose, Train With Passion, Train Alive!™

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian R. VanCise For This Useful Post:

    Flying Crane (10-05-2012)

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Archery Anyone?
    By Samurai in forum The Archery Range
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
  2. amazing archery
    By barriecusvein in forum The Archery Range
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 02:17 AM
  3. Archery?
    By Tames D in forum The Archery Range
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 05:41 PM
  4. Archery
    By Nightingale in forum The Archery Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 12:41 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.