Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Wah Lum

  1. #1
    stoneheart is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Wah Lum

    Can someone tell me a little more about wah lum kung fu? What are some of the primary stances and forms in the system? Does it have keywords like some of the other mantis styles (Thanks, 7starmantis!)? What makes it different from some of its mantis brothers and sisters?

    I browsed http://www.wahlum.com, but actual details about the mechanics of the style are sketchy. Thank you.

  2. #2
    jdinca's Avatar
    jdinca is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Wah Lum

    I can't give you any real specifics on Wah Lum Academy, other than it is a very reputable school. They have high standards that clearly show in competition. One thing about them that I don't like but it is done widely, is that they've included some Wushu moves into older Kung Fu forms. The original Plum Flower Fist form did NOT have butterfly kicks in it. But, as I said, this is not a unique phenomena to Wah Lum. Other than that, I've seen nothing but positive things from the students.
    Those who can't do, dummy.

  3. #3
    stoneheart is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Wah Lum

    Thanks for the response. That's a small quibble indeed in my opinion. I may have the opportunity to train under a Wah Lum sifu next year. I'm looking forward to learning more about the art if this bears fruit.

  4. #4
    7starmantis's Avatar
    7starmantis is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster


    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Wah Lum

    Wah Lum is a great fighting style, that focuses on very low strong stances. Its a bit more "flashy" than some mantis styles, but its very effective as well. Its very high cardio meaning its very strenuous to perform. Who would you be studying under?

    7sm
    Praemunio Pacis est paro pro bellum
    - To secure peace is to prepare for war

  5. #5
    stoneheart is offline
    Martial Talk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Wah Lum

    Thanks, 7StarMantis. PM'ed you.

  6. #6
    7starmantis's Avatar
    7starmantis is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster


    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by stoneheart
    Thanks, 7StarMantis. PM'ed you.
    Got it, PM'd you back

    Either way you decide, please keep us informed of your training.

    7sm
    Praemunio Pacis est paro pro bellum
    - To secure peace is to prepare for war

  7. #7
    Walter Wong is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Wah Lum

    I used to train Wah Lum a long time ago. It was a great work out.

  8. #8
    7starmantis's Avatar
    7starmantis is offline
    Martial Talk
    Grandmaster


    5,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Wah Lum

    How are your classes going? Are you still training in Wah Lum?

    7sm
    Praemunio Pacis est paro pro bellum
    - To secure peace is to prepare for war

  9. #9
    Walter Wong is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Wah Lum

    Oh, I stopped training at Wah Lum back in December 1995. I was learning Wah Lum for a couple years in the Boston Chinatown branch under Sifu Bob Rosen. The following month I switched over to Yang's Martial Arts Association to study under Master Yang Jwing Ming. I've been there since Jan 1996 and still continue to train there.

  10. #10
    tvbdude is offline
    Martial Talk
    White Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    I can't give you any real specifics on Wah Lum Academy, other than it is a very reputable school. They have high standards that clearly show in competition. One thing about them that I don't like but it is done widely, is that they've included some Wushu moves into older Kung Fu forms. The original Plum Flower Fist form did NOT have butterfly kicks in it. But, as I said, this is not a unique phenomena to Wah Lum. Other than that, I've seen nothing but positive things from the students.
    the butterfly kick you see in the form is probably a modified version. We change the forms all the time in public demo's/tournaments so people can't tape it and learn from it.

  11. #11
    BlackTiger1's Avatar
    BlackTiger1 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by tvbdude View Post
    the butterfly kick you see in the form is probably a modified version. We change the forms all the time in public demo's/tournaments so people can't tape it and learn from it.
    Greeting and salutations. I agree with changing movements in the forms, for there are a lot of people out there that will claim to know something and it is all from videos. I had a student practice with me for two months and took him to the Wah Lum Temple, for Grandmaster Pui Chen is my uncle in the arts and the guy made claims in the papers he had learned Fu Jow and Wah Lum and now he could teach it.

  12. #12
    jdinca's Avatar
    jdinca is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger1 View Post
    Greeting and salutations. I agree with changing movements in the forms, for there are a lot of people out there that will claim to know something and it is all from videos. I had a student practice with me for two months and took him to the Wah Lum Temple, for Grandmaster Pui Chen is my uncle in the arts and the guy made claims in the papers he had learned Fu Jow and Wah Lum and now he could teach it.
    I've met Grandmaster Pui, Chen in Baltimore. Although I'm sure he doesn't remember me, I found him to be a tremendous individual.

    I have a question for you in regards to changing the forms for public consumption. When you make the changes, do you make sure that they make sense in the overall form, or is it more important to make sure that the real form is not copied? Case in point is Plum Flower Fist, the first form I ever competed with. It was the same form the competitors from Wah Lum Academy were doing, except there were no butterfly kicks and where they were put in the form wrinkled my eyebrows. It's been several years, I wish I could give you specifics.
    Those who can't do, dummy.

  13. #13
    BlackTiger1's Avatar
    BlackTiger1 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I've met Grandmaster Pui, Chen in Baltimore. Although I'm sure he doesn't remember me, I found him to be a tremendous individual.

    I have a question for you in regards to changing the forms for public consumption. When you make the changes, do you make sure that they make sense in the overall form, or is it more important to make sure that the real form is not copied? Case in point is Plum Flower Fist, the first form I ever competed with. It was the same form the competitors from Wah Lum Academy were doing, except there were no butterfly kicks and where they were put in the form wrinkled my eyebrows. It's been several years, I wish I could give you specifics.
    Greetings and salutations dinca688099. I am sorry if I have missed lead you. I am not one of Grand Master Chen Students. I am from the Fu Jow Pai System. All I was stating was the yes people do make changes with the forms in their system. In the old days in China the forms where always done with the beginning last and the middle first and the last middle. So that anyone watching them could not learn the moves right.

    I hope that was some help in the way some kwoon do their forms.

  14. #14
    jdinca's Avatar
    jdinca is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger1 View Post
    Greetings and salutations dinca688099. I am sorry if I have missed lead you. I am not one of Grand Master Chen Students. I am from the Fu Jow Pai System. All I was stating was the yes people do make changes with the forms in their system. In the old days in China the forms where always done with the beginning last and the middle first and the last middle. So that anyone watching them could not learn the moves right.

    I hope that was some help in the way some kwoon do their forms.
    Yes, it does help, thank you. At least the ones doing the form knew what was inside of it, unlike so many today who are taught forms but not the meaning of the movement within it.
    Those who can't do, dummy.

  15. #15
    BlackTiger1's Avatar
    BlackTiger1 is offline
    Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Smile Re: Wah Lum

    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Yes, it does help, thank you. At least the ones doing the form knew what was inside of it, unlike so many today who are taught forms but not the meaning of the movement within it.

    Greetings and salutations jdinca;688145. I am very gald, I was able to help. Your very welcome

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Villari's Eleven Hands of Buddha?
    By monkey-a-go-go in forum Kenpo / Kempo - Technical Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 10:07 PM
  2. The whole purpose of Sui Lum Tao??
    By Corporal Hicks in forum Wing Chun
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
  3. Question about Pai Lum Tao
    By pknox in forum Chinese Martial Arts - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM
  4. Master Lee Chi Wai?? Chung Wah?
    By shaolin_guy in forum Chinese Martial Arts - General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.