Thread: Martial Arts Classes Via Sype

Makalakumu is offline Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 740 Posts

Martial Arts Classes Via Sype

I have a student who is going away for college and he would like to continue his training. We came up with the idea of trying to use skype so that he could see and hear what was going on in each class, it would be up to him to find a training partner, and I have plenty of text and video resources to help support his learning. Basically, everything that I teach at his level is video taped. When he comes back for school breaks, we could work on sparring and some of the more teacher intensive aspects of training.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried this before? Does any one know of a good camera that would capture a wide angle and fine enough detail for a dojo? It would be cool to bring my class into the 21st century!
    "You can lead from the front or stab from behind."

Sensei

Martial Talk
    Senior Master

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    I haven't heard of anyone training via skype, but from your description, it would seem that it could help keep them in the loop and reduce technique loss. It's worth a try. Let us know if it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Being rude is just a sign of weakness. Always be courteous, even to your enemies."

"Enough...back to the makiwara!"

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,048 Posts

Re: Martial Arts Classes Via Sype

If I had to guess, I'd say better than nothing; but not much better. There is so much that I do wrong as a student that can only be corrected by my Sensei seeing me doing it; and it's not the big stuff (after 3 years, I hope not) but the little stuff like not keep my my feet straight or being off-balance or my thumb is sticking out or whatever. I have used Skype a lot; I seriously doubt that a person would be able to pick up those nuances via a webcam hookup. I hate to be negative, but I just don't see it.
    DISCLAIMER: I am a student of martial arts. I am not an authority on the subject. My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my sensei, my dojo, or my style of martial arts. If you have an issue with my views, opinions, or anything I've said or done, please contact me directly. Thank you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Mattocks For This Useful Post:

Brian R. VanCise (09-18-2011)

Brian R. VanCise is offline Living on the Razors Edge

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 620 Posts

As with the above it is better than nothing but not much better. The medium has huge limitations! More important for his practice is to continue training on his own and come back regularly for corrections and instructions.
    Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/
    Ancient Origins - Modern Applications

Change and strife are the natural order of the universe! Enjoy the change and embrace the strife!

I Burn!

Train With Purpose, Train With Passion, Train Alive!™

jks9199 is offline Cause of War & Destroyer of Civilization

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,297 Posts

Is he going to be participating/observing the class live, able to ask questions and interact with you? Or is he essentially going to get a videotape of the class to watch?

In general, it's an interesting idea, but I think that Brian and Bill have it. It may let him continue to train, but I don't think it's going to be a watershed moment in training methodology. I think he'd probably get more out of brief, concentrated live classes with a month or more between them.
    It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

The four truths: Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly, and with more power than most people believe.Rory Miller, Meditations on Violence

Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that will actually do its job.

Opinions expressed or statements made are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect official statements of my employer. Nothing said should be construed as providing any sort of legal guidance, and is at best a statement of general principles. Consult an attorney in your local area for legal guidance.

Makalakumu is offline Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 740 Posts
    Thanks so much for the input. I'm still going to try and ill post supporting material here for comment. If my student is serious, I will do my best. I've never tried before, so it will be an interesting experiment.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    "You can lead from the front or stab from behind."

Sensei

Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt

1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I think it's a great idea. All the best of luck with it, please keep us posted. And, no, it doesn't replace being in class, nothing could. But it's a heck of an idea.

Sponsors