Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai... the BEST?

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Question Muay Thai... the BEST?

Is it safe to say that Muay Thai is the most effective stand-up art out there? I am talking realistic and practical self defense and street fighting. I am just curious of peoples opinions.
    Thanks!

jks9199 is offline Cause of War & Destroyer of Civilization

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,159 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Muay Thai... the BEST?

No, it's not.

Muay Thai is a very effective kickboxing system for sport. It can be used on the street. But there's no magic ultimate system.
    It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

The four truths: Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly, and with more power than most people believe.Rory Miller, Meditations on Violence

Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that will actually do its job.

Opinions expressed or statements made are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect official statements of my employer. Nothing said should be construed as providing any sort of legal guidance, and is at best a statement of general principles. Consult an attorney in your local area for legal guidance.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Figiel View Post
    Is it safe to say that Muay Thai is the most effective stand-up art out there? I am talking realistic and practical self defense and street fighting. I am just curious of peoples opinions.
    Thanks!

No, it's not safe to say that.
    I fight. Not simply with my opponent. I fight with the demons of doubt. With my exhaustion, with my past failures, with my injuries, with my anonymity, with the unrelenting voice that tells me to stop. But I am a fighter. And one thing is sure. I will be victorious.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/980/743/044/

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

10,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,022 Posts

Thanks!
    It's a very effective art, but so are many others. I doubt there is one single art which is 'most effective'. One might say that it is the most effective art for them, at a given time, in a given circumstance.

On MT, we tend not to get into wars over what is the 'best' MA out there.

By the way, you might want to introduce yourself over the new members section so that people can get to know you. Welcome to MT.
    DISCLAIMER: I am a student of martial arts. I am not an authority on the subject. My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my sensei, my dojo, or my style of martial arts. If you have an issue with my views, opinions, or anything I've said or done, please contact me directly. Thank you.

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Thanks!
    Not at all, it's a sport. It's like assuming a champion skeet shooter would be a great soldier because he can shoot well.

There is a huge gulf between practical self defense and sport. Does MT deal with multiple attackers, armed attackers, ambushes, less than adequate circumstances(darkness, icy ground, wet ground, etc), does it end in slashings, stabbings, shootings and sometimes even death? No.

MT is designed for one on one where you and your opponent know you are going to fight months in advance and prepare for it (an attacker hardly ever lets you know ahead), in a perfectly lit situation where you can see your attacker, where you both are aware of the rules and the ref will protect you if the rules are not adhered to.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Told you it wasn't safe Ah! is that a can of worms I see before me?
    I fight. Not simply with my opponent. I fight with the demons of doubt. With my exhaustion, with my past failures, with my injuries, with my anonymity, with the unrelenting voice that tells me to stop. But I am a fighter. And one thing is sure. I will be victorious.

Carol is offline Crazy like a...

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,937 Times in 1,658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    Told you it wasn't safe Ah! is that a can of worms I see before me?
    I knew my copy of Pink Floyd The Wall was around here somewhere
    !!!! GOAL EXCEEDED !!!!
    I became a volunteer Wilderness First Responder on June 6th, 2014, my first rescue was June 7th, 2014. THANK YOU for all your support!!

Martial Talk
    Grandmaster
    5,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 832 Posts

Thanks!
    absolutely yes, it is the best, no question about it.

OK, now that THAT'S settled...
    Regards, Michael
    www.flyingcranedesigns.com
    De Gustibus Non Disputante Est.
    One of the original Four HEROIC Cynical Curmudgeons, and darn proud of it!
    "Having an 'iron' whatever will do you little good if you don't know how to properly use it." -HG1

Martial Talk
    Master of Arts
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

It may or may not be the best for YOU. Another MA may be better for somebody else with a different body type and psychology.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly -- Theodore Roosevelt
    A little nonesense now and then is relished by the wisest men--Roald Dahl

There be no shelter here
    the front lines are everywhere -- Rage Against the Machine

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I see!
    All these replies have really opened my eyes up. I am just so confused which martial art to do. I am a member of a great mma dojo, where they teach Muay thai and bjj, but I do not know if i should do one or the other or both or some form of wushu...
    I just really want to find out what I should train.

Brian R. VanCise is offline Living on the Razors Edge

20,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I see!
    All these replies have really opened my eyes up. I am just so confused which martial art to do. I am a member of a great mma dojo, where they teach Muay thai and bjj, but I do not know if i should do one or the other or both or some form of wushu...
    I think you need to first find an instructor that you think you would like to train under and then study. If you are enjoying what you practice then you may have a chance to stick with it. Which is a lot more important than merely training for six months or so and then hanging everything up for good. So look around, sample several schools by at least training in one of their classes and pick which one you think you would enjoy the most and then train!
    Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/
    Ancient Origins - Modern Applications

Change and strife are the natural order of the universe! Enjoy the change and embrace the strife!

I Burn!

Train With Purpose, Train With Passion, Train Alive!™

Martial Talk
    Sr. Grandmaster

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks

I see!

My dear sir, why didn't you say so?

1. What are you wanting to train for?
    2. what are you looking to get out of your training?

If you are training BJJ and MT you are training martial arts already, do you mean you want to do another as well as or instead of?

So where are you training now? MMA is more than BJJ and MT, much more and is rarely trained in a dojo tbh, semantics maybe, but gives an indication of what the owner/chief instructor has in mind. Do you have fighters in this dojo, are you training to fight MMA?

I have more questions but will wait till you answer

Martial Talk
    Senior Master
    1,000 Post Club
    Thanks

Funny the assumptions made about Muay Thai in the past few years huh?

Someone once said that my karate was lame and I should do MT. I pointed out the limitations of MT and the same person suggested I do BJJ. So it seems to replace karate I would have to learn 2 styles, neither of which really address real world situations though they certainly can be applied.
    - Omar B.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

jks9199 is offline Cause of War & Destroyer of Civilization

15,000 Post Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,159 Times in 2,248 Posts

I see!
    You're going at things backwards. You're trying to find and an end result from what you already have.

What's your goal? Competing in MMA events? In that case, you need balanced training across stand up (Muay Thai/Kickboxing/etc), throwing (judo, etc.), and grappling/wrestling (BJJ/various Western wrestling/etc.). Are you looking for quickly acquired, practical self defense? An experience of an Eastern culture? Family fun and fitness? Something that you can train in from young adulthood to old age? Different arts answer these needs differently. And there's plenty of overlap between them, too.
    It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

The four truths: Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly, and with more power than most people believe.Rory Miller, Meditations on Violence

Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that will actually do its job.

Opinions expressed or statements made are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect official statements of my employer. Nothing said should be construed as providing any sort of legal guidance, and is at best a statement of general principles. Consult an attorney in your local area for legal guidance.

Martial Talk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tez3 View Post
    My dear sir, why didn't you say so?

1. What are you wanting to train for?
    2. what are you looking to get out of your training?

If you are training BJJ and MT you are training martial arts already, do you mean you want to do another as well as or instead of?

So where are you training now? MMA is more than BJJ and MT, much more and is rarely trained in a dojo tbh, semantics maybe, but gives an indication of what the owner/chief instructor has in mind. Do you have fighters in this dojo, are you training to fight MMA?

I have more questions but will wait till you answer
    Your right, I did not give enough information!

I want a martial art for self defense and possibly even competition, an art with no weapons, just hand to hand combat. I like the idea of Muay Thai, because it is very 'deadly' and 'brutal', and seems to be effective, but there are so many other styles out there (especially Chinese)! BJJ is great too, and from what I have seen from UFC and similar, it is a very important art to know. I LOVE them both!
    I do both Muay Thai and BJJ, but I question which one I should do more, if any. If there is something better out there, I will drop muay thai and BJJ, and go for it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors