Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Karambit Association

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks
    Steve Tarani and I structured and formalized a Kenpo Karambit curriculum
    Mr. Collado,

I noticed this quote from your website and was wondering if you followed the WOK in the development of the curriculum or was it a mix of Indonesian applications with Kenpo applications? Were any of Mr. Tarani's combatives applications worked into the curriclum? How is it structured? How many techniques exist? Do they act as an add on to a "base system" or stand on their own as a true system? If the Kerambit is removed do you still apply the techiques in the same way (with the Kerambit influence) or revert to standard EPAK?

What do you see as the main differences in regards to say your views (or mentality) towards Kenpo Knife vs Kenpo Kerambit?

Just curious,

jb
    www.ikenpo.com

713-569-2614

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. -Issac Asimov

The competent go to violence much sooner...

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: I got on with your name on it!!

Originally posted by kenpohands
    Where the hell you been hiding Billy? Hell I show you a few cool inserts and you you drop off the face of the earth. I see how it is. Keep in touch brother!
    P.s. What is the significance of the Image on your post????
    I've been working things out with my wife and moving her back in... I haven't forgotten those inserts... I actually used them in the technique line at the Homecoming Camp and at the studio the other night. You tell me which image and I will explain.

Oh yeah... why weren't you at the Homecoming?

In the Spirit of Kenpo,
    Billy Lear

kenpohands Guest

Thumbs up Great questions

First off, the karambit is not a new weapon. It has been around for hundreds of years. Second, Kenpo karambit is NOT a stand-alone system. It piggybacks on both EPAK and Pekiti Tirsia. The kenpoist can easily adapt to the Kenpo Karambit. Kenpo Karambit was designed to incorporate the techniques, concepts and principles of EPAK and utilize the movement patterns within the techniques. All this done in combination with the applications on Steve Tarani’s Karambit experience and expertise. All the attacks used within our technique structure have been chanced to weapon attacks instead of empty hand attacks. For example,Five swords in now against a slashing knife attack as opposed to a right hook punch. We have incorporated many of Tarani’s tactical and combative techniques taught to Military, Law Enforcement and Special government agencies. Most techniques now incorporate disarms. The outcome is a kenpo technique executed with Karambit weapons application againdts armed attacks. The smoothness and rhythm of the Kenpo techniques are not slowed down nor is the timing much different. You can apply all the techniques both with a karambit or emty hand as you originally learned them. ANY kenpoist can pick up Kenpo Karambit and within one 3 hour seminar be funtional and proficient with the Karambit. Once the basic operation and application of the karambit is learned the possibilities are endless.
    Our curriculum is as follows:

LEVEL I
    History
    Basics
    -stances
    -positions
    -grips
    -terminology
    -principles of knife fighting
    JURU #1 (KATA)

LEVEL II
    Drills
    Basic application of the weapon
    Techniques 1-10 (parallel EPAK yellow-orange)
    JURU #2

COLOR=red]LEVEL III[/COLOR]
    Intermediate applications
    Techniques 10-20 (Purple –Blue)
    JURU #3

[LEVEL IV
    Advanced applications/takedowns/locks
    Techniques 20-30(Green –Brown)
    Begin PICHAHAN(EPAK Phase III)
    JURU #4

LEVEL V INSTRUCTORSHIP
    Free Form
    Combat
    PICHAHAN
    JURU #5

If anyone is interested in a seminar to introduce the Kenpo Karambit to your school curriculum and become part of our training group.
    Contact me at
    kenpohands@excite.com

Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Thanks

Re: Great questions

First off, the karambit is not a new weapon. It has been around for hundreds of years.
    Right, I've trained with the Kerambit before..There are actually other Kenpo practicioners that have explored aspects of this weapon in years past with other Kuntao/Silat instructors and already have it incorporated into their curriculum.

Second, Kenpo karambit is NOT a stand-alone system. It piggybacks on both EPAK and Pekiti Tirsia.
    Now that was my question. So without the weapon you're back to standard EPAK or Pekiti Tirsia. It is a prefix/suffix, sour cream on the potato sort of thing, but not the potato. (everybody know potatos taste better with sour cream)

All the attacks used within our technique structure have been chanced to weapon attacks instead of empty hand attacks.
    Is this for moral reasons? I noticed Tarani also uses the trainer as a restraining/contact control tool. Is that level IV takedowns & locks?

We have incorporated many of Tarani’s tactical and combative techniques taught to Military, Law Enforcement and Special government agencies.
    Did you find that difficult to do while maintaining our principles of logic? I notice you went with the Jura title for your forms. Are they basically made up of the techniques within that level?

Once the basic operation and application of the karambit is learned the possibilities are endless.
    Agreed, what would you consider to be your greatest personal insight gained from training with this weapon?

Our curriculum is as follows:
    Thank you for the insight. It is interested to see how someone else has incorporated the concepts. Realizing that if caught using an actual Kerambit in California or Texas that you'd be thrown under the jail (double edged blade), do you give any consideration to training with hard plastic trainers like Worden's Impact Kerambit?

Regards and again thanks for the insight, jb
    www.ikenpo.com

713-569-2614

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. -Issac Asimov

The competent go to violence much sooner...

kenpohands Guest

Good insight!

It is a prefix/suffix, sour cream on the potato sort of thing, but not the potato. (everybody know potatos taste better with sour cream)
    Not exactly! The Karambit training will stand alone against emty hand and weapon attacks. It is a potato in it own right, The kenpo Karambit is the use of the Karambit within the kenpo system. Thus a Potato(kenpo) plus sour cream(karambit)! Its all how you look at it!

Is this for moral reasons? I noticed Tarani also uses the trainer as a restraining/contact control tool. Is that level IV takedowns & locks?
    No moral issues here. It can also be used against emty hand attacks as well. (trainers)
    Thats all in the Tarani karambit system. I too train that way as well, My students also learn the karambit as a control device. That IS not part of the Kenpo Karambit. It is Tarani's Karambit training which we do as well.

It is interested to see how someone else has incorporated the concepts. Realizing that if caught using an actual Kerambit in California or Texas that you'd be thrown under the jail (double edged blade), do you give any consideration to training with hard plastic trainers like Worden's Impact Kerambit?

Why? We don't carry double edged karambits. The folders are all single edged karambits and are as legal as a common folder! Nothing illegal about it. THe trainers work well in the Kenpo Karambit applications and are 100% legal. Lots of pain and NO blood! I would not carry a double edge karambit That I know would be grey area!! We do have our own plastic trainers as well and us them all the time! Most of my female students carry them all the time.

Thanks for the great conversation,
    Salute
    Angelo Collado

Kirk Guest
    How much can you teach in one kenpo seminar?

M F Guest
    Kirk,
    This is the impression I get from talking to Mr. Collado and a few others who have seen these applications in person. The Kenpo Karambit program uses Kenpo technique movements, only with this unique weapon inserted into the mix. I think what you would learn in a seminar would be how to effectively insert the karambit into the Kenpo movements that you already know. So, you wouldn't need to learn anything new, motion wise, in order to use this weapon. This is all from conversations I've had with a few individuals, and not from first hand experience, so Mr. Collado, please correct me if I'm off base here.

kenpohands Guest

Answer

It depends on
    1. Student level
    2. Experience
    3. Time factor
    Usually a 3 hr seminar will cover the basic karambit handling applications. An 8 hr will get you into basic applications and theory!
    AC

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: Good insight!

Why? We don't carry double edged karambits. The folders are all single edged karambits and are as legal as a common folder! Nothing illegal about it. THe trainers work well in the Kenpo Karambit applications and are 100% legal. Lots of pain and NO blood! I would not carry a double edge karambit That I know would be grey area!! We do have our own plastic trainers as well and us them all the time! Most of my female students carry them all the time.

Thanks for the great conversation,
    Salute
    Angelo Collado
    PENAL CODE SECTION 12020-12040
    12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
    (1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
    653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    171.5. c.2 Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.
    Penal Code Section 12020 & Section 653k
    Anything capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon is illegal. All concealed knives are a felony (except non locking folders).
    In the Spirit of Kenpo,
    Billy Lear

Martial Talk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Calif. Knives.

The Cold Steel catalogs have always listed what knives are legal to carry concealed in California. The CRPA [Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assoc.] has information on the types of knives that are Calif. legal. I carry a 4 inch folder [Cold Steel Simitar] with a liner lock at all times. The Karambit looks like an intersting weapon. The latest issue of Tractical Knives {Vol.9 #6 Nov.03} has on article on 11 First-Rate instructors-"At the Head of the Class" that includes Mr. Trarani but the Karambit is not mentioned in the article.

EKP RIP
    Big Pat

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: Kenpo Karambit Association

[B]Hello,
    I am proud to announce the formation of the Kenpo Karambit Association. The co-founders are myself and Steve Tarani. The concept behind the KKA is the ancient blade of Karambit meets the modern day concepts and principles of Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate.
    I have merged my 30 years experience with Tarani's karambit applications and have developed a system that ANY kenpoist can addapt to. No major modifications needed to manuver the Karambit around within the Kenpo System. I will be forming classes in Glendora open to all Kenpoist all ranks.
    Visit www.kenpokarambit.com for more information.
    If you are interested in joining a class or the KKA contact me at kenpohands@excite.com
    Hi Folks!
    Angelo! Congratulations on the creation of the KKA [yet another anacronym on the "seasame street of Kenpo related groups" LOL!
    Seriously, I've used the Kerambit/karambit since 1985 and I've had the pleasure of working with several different filipino and indonesian martial arts instructors on the use of the kerambit. I used the Tripoz "Raptor" kerambit/karambit originally in the chrome then the black teflon covered versions. There are different individuals who have used the kerambit/karambit to enhance their art [Art Gitlin and hak lung chuan for example]. I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Collado's form as he prepared to compete at the IKC in Boston and it was a joy to behold he blending of the EPAKK and silat concepts as well as never before seen 2 kerambit use [you have to see it to truly apprecate it!]
    Due to Angello's performance and detailing out his aspects on the Kenpo Kerambit,I've decided to join the KKA and endorse Mr. Collado in his ventures as well as encourage students to learn how to use this wonderful tool.
    Please take the time to inquire about the use of the kerambit and it's application to kenpo!
    BEGOOD,
    KENPOJOE
    "The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the TRUTH!!"
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share."

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Karambits will definately add some "new spin" to any form of Kenpo - techs or otherwise. Just make sure you hold on tight and don't throw them at spectators.

Hi Stick Dummy!
    I was at the IKC and i'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you [or did I?] It was unfortunate what happened during angelo's form [i was glad to see in it's entirety before he competed, however] and thankfully it went to an area that there was no one around, actually one of my students retrieved the karambit for Angello and all was well.

I showed GD-7 & Farnsworth my leetle bitty custom Filipino style (spur blade) karambit and it looked like a folding nail trimmer in his paw err, hand.]
    I would love to see that design as I'm am avid weapons collector and instructor and i'm always looking for a new "favorite weapon"

You coming down for the next seminar at Shepherd?? Maybe we can hide in a corner of the gym, and compare Karambit techs.
    I wish we had met at the IKC, I brought a "bag of kerambits" of different designs to discuss the weapon and art in more detail...we would have had a great time! Angello and I did just that when he visited Boston for the event!
    Hope to meet you sometime!
    BEGOOD,
    KENPOJOE
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share."

ProfessorKenpo Guest
    Originally posted by KENPOJOE
    Hi Stick Dummy!
    I was at the IKC and i'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you [or did I?] It was unfortunate what happened during angelo's form [i was glad to see in it's entirety before he competed, however] and thankfully it went to an area that there was no one around, actually one of my students retrieved the karambit for Angello and all was well.

BEGOOD,
    KENPOJOE
    You mean the judges actually let people do forms with live weapons, that's a first I've heard of?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Martial Talk
    Brown Belt
    Thanks

Re: Re: Nice shot Dude!!

Originally posted by Seig
    First of all, the threat, which seems real and not implied, is against Martial Talk policy. Please do not do it again.
    Hi Seig!
    It was a pleasure to finally meet you,Tess, and your students at the IKC! I'm sure that no malice was intended by Mr. Collado's statements,rather a sincere willingness to exchange infornation and "share the wealth" as it were!
    We always suffer with a medium that is hackled by not being able to convey intonation and "the spirit" of the post.
    BTW, while we are on a weapons topic, I saw one of your students [I believe] with Katana performing iaijutsu/iaido kata, was that your guy?
    BEGOOD,
    KENPOJOE

kenpohands Guest

Re: Re: Good insight!

Originally posted by Bill Lear
    [653k
    Anything capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon is illegal. All concealed knives are a felony (except non locking folders). [/B]

By the way the Karambit folders are designed it is not possible to directly stab a target, As you would be able to with a regular knife or a shank. Different mechanics would have to be used in order to do this. You would be performing a movement that is not defined as illegal. You do however must not have it concealed. It must be worn with part of the ring visible and with the clip showing. Steve Tarani spent many hours and $ doing the research for the Folder design. His folders are legal, Remember Steve Tarani works with and trains all the people who write the penal codes in Washington. From FBI, CIA, DEA and hundreds of State ant local police departments. In many of the karambit classes There are nothing but Police there. I was in Ft Myers Florida and did a class with the head of the Police traning division. They fell in love with the folder.
    It is legal. If you get in trouble with it it is probably because your doing something wrong with it, or the officer does not know the penal code well. I always carry the entire code in my car at all times as a reference.
    AC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors