Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Now I understand what the word Ka-ju-ken-bo means:

    Ka - Karate
    Ju - Judo
    Ken - Kenpo
    Bo - Chinese boxing

    (at least, this is what i've found only over the internet alone)

    And I understand that the above simply states that Kajukenbo is pretty much a mash of a number of great martial arts techniques... But what exactly is different between Kenpo and Kajukenbo? How are the two styles/arts alike and how are they different?
    As far as I have researched, Kajukenbo is placed in the Kenpo category.

    I am not really interested in any "style vs style" competition; but I am interested in how these two arts are different in regards to overall technique and approach.

    I am curious because I have found a strong liking to both!

    In Kenpo, I have noticed more neutralization of the attack (from the attacker), followed by pursuing the attacker placing him in the defensive, and quickly ending the fight - all with powerful and almost (if not) ruthless attacks.


    I have found locations near me that offer both Kenpo and Kajukenbo, and I find no real logic in trying to study both arts at the same time (as that would only be counter-productive; no?).

    Hopefully, someone with great experience and knowledge may explain this to me in "layman's terms"!


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,188
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 39 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by AriesKai View Post
    Now I understand what the word Ka-ju-ken-bo means:

    Ka - Karate
    Ju - Judo
    Ken - Kenpo
    Bo - Chinese boxing
    Karate
    Jujitsu/judo
    Kenpo
    Western Boxing Not Chinese Boxing which would be "Kenpo"

    Watch and observe both, talk to the teachers and make a decision. Nothing anyone might tell you is incumbent on the schools you visit to conform to any of our descriptions of a style.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.
    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél
    www.MartialScienceUniversity.com
    SL4Kenpo.com

  3. #3
    Matt is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by AriesKai View Post
    Now I understand what the word Ka-ju-ken-bo means:

    Ka - Karate
    Ju - Judo
    Ken - Kenpo
    Bo - Chinese boxing

    (at least, this is what i've found only over the internet alone)

    And I understand that the above simply states that Kajukenbo is pretty much a mash of a number of great martial arts techniques... But what exactly is different between Kenpo and Kajukenbo? How are the two styles/arts alike and how are they different?
    As far as I have researched, Kajukenbo is placed in the Kenpo category.

    I am not really interested in any "style vs style" competition; but I am interested in how these two arts are different in regards to overall technique and approach.

    I am curious because I have found a strong liking to both!

    In Kenpo, I have noticed more neutralization of the attack (from the attacker), followed by pursuing the attacker placing him in the defensive, and quickly ending the fight - all with powerful and almost (if not) ruthless attacks.


    I have found locations near me that offer both Kenpo and Kajukenbo, and I find no real logic in trying to study both arts at the same time (as that would only be counter-productive; no?).

    Hopefully, someone with great experience and knowledge may explain this to me in "layman's terms"!


    Thanks!
    As Doc said, check out the classes and teacher. There is such a vast variety within each style that anything anyone here might say is unlikely to apply that much. Kajukenbo can mean anything from Tai chi to Kenpo, and Kenpo can mean anything from a well-thought-out scientific of method fighting to McDojo fodder.
    "Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one..." Thomas Paine, The AMERICAN CRISIS.

    http://kempoinfo.com/

  4. #4
    Tames D is offline RECKLESS

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,314
    Thanks
    564
    Thanked 514 Times in 324 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Western Boxing Not Chinese Boxing which would be "Kenpo"
    Actually, It's western boxing AND chinese boxing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    I would also like to shout out a very big THANK YOU to Mr. Professor John Bishop, for his very informative website, http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/ , and for his youtube videos as well. Had he not been so careful at explaining all of the concepts and attributes as well as techniques, I would have very little grasp on how Kajukenbo works!


    So, again, THANK YOU, SIR!




    Respectfully,
    Aries Kai

  6. #6
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    Martial Talk
    Senior Master

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,188
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 39 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tames D View Post
    Actually, It's western boxing AND chinese boxing.
    Actually it's western boxing, and Chinese Boxing is the KENPO.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.
    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél
    www.MartialScienceUniversity.com
    SL4Kenpo.com

  7. #7
    Tames D is offline RECKLESS

    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,314
    Thanks
    564
    Thanked 514 Times in 324 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Karate
    Jujitsu/judo
    Kenpo
    Western Boxing Not Chinese Boxing which would be "Kenpo"
    Ka - represented Karate
    Ju - represented Judo and Jujitsu
    Ken - represented Kenpo
    Bo - represented Both Chinese and Western Boxing

    Kajukenbo, The Original Martial Art : page 17
    By John Bishop

  8. #8
    just2kicku's Avatar
    just2kicku is offline
    Martial Talk
    Black Belt

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    48
    Posts
    692
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Western Boxing Not Chinese Boxing which would be "Kenpo"

    .

    The BO is for Chinese boxing. Although Peter Choo was an Army boxer and influenced the BO part of it also, Clarence Chang is the one responsible for the Sil Lum influence, or Chuan Fa part of the branch. The Chinese boxing part of it.
    It's not how you play the game, it's winning at all cost!!!
    Fight to train, Train to fight, Go for broke ~ Sifu Jay

  9. #9
    LawDog's Avatar
    LawDog is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    What Doc has stated is pretty much true. But since Kenpo is "eclectic" each school and or style is different.
    Example,
    those of the original S.K.K. lineage learned a system that had little or no real Chinese boxing in it. If you look at the true lineage you will find that many leaders had a heavy back ground in American boxing. The Chinese boxing appeared after the infamous name change to "Shaolin Kenpo". Chinese material was either added in or just made up later on down the road.
    Because you have a few Chinese presets or forms in a system and you haven't learned the "core" of Chinese boxing then you don't kave Chinese boxing in your style.
    Bottom line here, look into your system to see if the "core" boxing that you are learning is based on a real Chinese system or instead, on a type of American / English type boxing system.
    Alan J Cunningham
    Kenpo Karate/Jujitsu
    "Retired" L.E.O.


    In Everyones Life There Comes A Time When You Must "Stand Your Ground".

  10. #10
    John Bishop's Avatar
    John Bishop is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt


    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 85 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Actually, "Original Method" Kajukenbo is made up of techniques from 7 arts. The 5 founders main arts were:
    Peter Choo = Korean Karate
    Joe Holck= Danzan Ryu Jujitsu & Kodokan Judo
    Frank Ordanez= Danzan Ryu Jujitsu & Kodokan Judo
    Adriano Emperado= Kenpo jiujutsu
    George "Clarence" Chang= Sillum Pai Kung Fu

    And all 5 founders boxed as teens and adults. And Emperado had escrima training also.
    Being that Emperado was the leader, Kenpo Jiujutsu was used as the base art, and the techniques from jujitsu, judo, karate, kung fu, escrima, and western boxing were added to enhance the new self defense system.
    At the time the founders wanted to co-exist and be accepted into the Asian martial arts community, so they emphasized the 5 Asian arts in their name; Ka-ju-ken-bo.
    Since there was no such thing as "mixed martial arts" at the time, and Emperado was the leader of the system, they aligned themselves with the "kenpo" groups. Later on in the 70's, the "Chuan Fa", Tum Pai", and "Wun Hop Kuen Do" branches aligned themselves with the kung fu community. This is why Kajukenbo WHKD practitioners like Al Dacascos, Eric Lee, Mark Dacascos, Malia Bernal, etc are commonly known as "kung fu" practitioners.
    Today, most of us consider the system to be a "Hawaiian (American) Mixed Martial Art".

    The main difference I see between Kajukenbo and kenpo/kempo is the heavy use of judo and jujitsu in Kajukenbo. In the "original method" about 65% of the self defense combinations will contain judo/jujitsu techniques. Escrima gunting techniques, limb destruction techniques, and stepping patterns are also used in Kajukenbo. As is boxing footwork and punches. And most Kajukenbo practitioners can ground fight pretty well. Not as good as judo black belts, but much better then most strickly stand up fighters.
    In Kajukenbo we like to use moderate to full contact in our training and sparring.
    Very important in Kajukenbo is the spirit of "Ohana" (family) amongst our practitioners. Around the world, no matter what organization, we consider ourselves Kajukenbo ohana first, organization second.

    Now, when it comes to which style to pick: don't pick a style, pick a instructor.
    Plenty of kenpo/kempo instructors enhance their system with grappling, boxing, muay thai, etc. And a lot of kenpo guys like to bang hard. So I'd look at what the instructor is teaching, and make my decision on that.
    John Bishop

    "The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Prevail, is for Good Men to Do Nothing" Edmond Burke

    Kajukenbo is NOT a; "if you can afford it, we will award it" system.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Very informative, Professor! Thank you!
    I would cherish the day I ever receive the honor in training under you. I feel that I have very much that I can learn from you!

  12. #12
    Danjo's Avatar
    Danjo is offline
    Martial Talk
    Master Black Belt
    1,000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by AriesKai View Post
    Very informative, Professor! Thank you!
    I would cherish the day I ever receive the honor in training under you. I feel that I have very much that I can learn from you!
    While I am very fortunate to train where I do, don't sell other Kaju teachers short before giving them a try. Lots of good folk out there to train with. Empty your cup and se what they have to offer.

    And, obviously stop by if you're ever out here.
    "If it isn't over in three moves, step back and see what you're doing wrong."---Ark Y Wong
    Dan Weston
    Black Belt
    Kajukenbo (Original Method AKA: Kenpo Karate Method: AKA: Hard Style AKA: Emperado Method)
    Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
    While I am very fortunate to train where I do, don't sell other Kaju teachers short before giving them a try. Lots of good folk out there to train with. Empty your cup and se what they have to offer.

    And, obviously stop by if you're ever out here.
    Yes, sir! Thank you very much!!

  14. #14
    shaolinmonkmark's Avatar
    shaolinmonkmark is offline
    Martial Talk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Mushi Mushi Re: What is the difference between Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo?

    Quote Originally Posted by John Bishop View Post
    Actually, "Original Method" Kajukenbo is made up of techniques from 7 arts. The 5 founders main arts were:
    Peter Choo = Korean Karate
    Joe Holck= Danzan Ryu Jujitsu & Kodokan Judo
    Frank Ordanez= Danzan Ryu Jujitsu & Kodokan Judo
    Adriano Emperado= Kenpo jiujutsu
    George "Clarence" Chang= Sillum Pai Kung Fu

    And all 5 founders boxed as teens and adults. And Emperado had escrima training also.
    Being that Emperado was the leader, Kenpo Jiujutsu was used as the base art, and the techniques from jujitsu, judo, karate, kung fu, escrima, and western boxing were added to enhance the new self defense system.
    At the time the founders wanted to co-exist and be accepted into the Asian martial arts community, so they emphasized the 5 Asian arts in their name; Ka-ju-ken-bo.
    Since there was no such thing as "mixed martial arts" at the time, and Emperado was the leader of the system, they aligned themselves with the "kenpo" groups. Later on in the 70's, the "Chuan Fa", Tum Pai", and "Wun Hop Kuen Do" branches aligned themselves with the kung fu community. This is why Kajukenbo WHKD practitioners like Al Dacascos, Eric Lee, Mark Dacascos, Malia Bernal, etc are commonly known as "kung fu" practitioners.
    Today, most of us consider the system to be a "Hawaiian (American) Mixed Martial Art".

    The main difference I see between Kajukenbo and kenpo/kempo is the heavy use of judo and jujitsu in Kajukenbo. In the "original method" about 65% of the self defense combinations will contain judo/jujitsu techniques. Escrima gunting techniques, limb destruction techniques, and stepping patterns are also used in Kajukenbo. As is boxing footwork and punches. And most Kajukenbo practitioners can ground fight pretty well. Not as good as judo black belts, but much better then most strickly stand up fighters.
    In Kajukenbo we like to use moderate to full contact in our training and sparring.
    Very important in Kajukenbo is the spirit of "Ohana" (family) amongst our practitioners. Around the world, no matter what organization, we consider ourselves Kajukenbo ohana first, organization second.

    Now, when it comes to which style to pick: don't pick a style, pick a instructor.
    Plenty of kenpo/kempo instructors enhance their system with grappling, boxing, muay thai, etc. And a lot of kenpo guys like to bang hard. So I'd look at what the instructor is teaching, and make my decision on that.

    to a "T"
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. "

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. KT:The Judo/Jujitsu Phase training of Kajukenbo
    By Clark Kent in forum KenpoTalk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
  2. KT:My Thesis on Kajukenbo WHKD
    By Clark Kent in forum KenpoTalk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
  3. KT:History of Kajukenbo Chuan Fa Characteristics
    By Clark Kent in forum KenpoTalk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 02:10 AM
  4. Kajukenbo
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Kajukenbo
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 08:26 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

american kenpo vs kajukenbo
,

differance between katjukenbo and kenpo

,
difference american kenpo kajukenbo
,
differnce between american kempo and shollain kempo karate
,
is kempo and kajukenbo the same
,
is kempo the same as kajukenbo
,
kajukenbo chinese kenpo
,

kajukenbo vs american kenpo

,

kajukenbo vs kenpo

,
kempo kajukenbo
,
what are the different styles of kajukenbo
,

what the differents between kempo jujutsu and american kenpo

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.