We know that being healthy entails getting good sleep, maintaining a healthy diet and engaging in an active lifestyle. Yet every day, we adults struggle to do what is right for our bodies due to a variety of hurdles and obstacles.
With our stressful work oriented lives, it’s very hard to “slow down” and get enough rest or sleep. In the case of what we eat, we often sacrifice healthy food for convenience. And, instead of engaging in physical activities, we spend too much of our leisure time in front of a computer or TV screen due to being tired after work.
In short, we mostly understand what it takes to be healthy ... but we don’t always rise to the challenges of doing what’s needed in order to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
This report will discuss the benefits of a great fitness program and explain why martial arts is the very best way to get fit and stay fit!
Here are just some of the proven benefits Martial Arts has to offer:
• Better sleep
• Improved concentration
• Stronger emotional health
• Improved heart health
• Improved self-image and Confidence
• Stronger immune system
• Greater strength, flexibility, and Self Protection
• Healthier weight
Let’s take a look at how Martial Arts for Adults effects some of the health problems that effect adults:
Heart disease is one of the most effective killers in our society today. Not only does Martial Arts and Fitness prevent heart problems, but having a lifestyle that lacks physical activity is a huge added risk factor.
Regular exercise, alone, lowers blood pressure and helps to control cholesterol levels. Staying active also decreases the fat in our abdomen that has been proven to be another risk factor of heart disease. It has been shown time and time again that people who exercise regularly after their first heart attack live longer than those who do not.
Martial Arts is a great form of regular exercise because it puts you on a schedule of a fun workout 2-4 times a week.
Asthma attacks are also partially preventable with regular exercise. Activities that require long periods of exertion are often not tolerated well by asthmatics. But, daily exercise can keep an asthmatic individual more in the swing of things so there’s a lower frequency of attacks.
Osteoporosis: The impact of exercise on the bones of the body helps to guard against osteoporosis. If an individual is sedentary their whole life they have a far greater chance of developing bone density issues. But, with the resistance and weight bearing that occurs during exercise, bones maintain their strength.
Healthy weight: Exercise is one of the primary keys to reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. It burns lots of calories and helps ensure that your body’s natural regulatory eating signals are working as they should. Bottom line -- physical activity is great for you.
In fact, Time Magazine (A to Z Health Guide, 2004) called exercise: "one of the closest things to a magic bullet that modern health care has to offer." So any type of physical activity will improve your health and well being -- but some types of exercise are better than others. Let’s look at why a lot of physiologists and psychologists view martial arts as the best type of exercise you can get. First, we need to dispel the myth that martial arts classes are just for kids. In fact, according to the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, more than one-third of martial arts students are adults. The reality is that martial arts is great for both children and adults -- 20-somethings as well as the elderly. We recommend Taekwondo for Adults when searching for a Martial Art to tryout.
Here are the Four Reasons why Taekwondo is the best fitness program for Adults:
• Total body workout: Martial arts is a high-aerobic workout that uses every muscle group in the body. Your stamina, muscle tone, flexibility, balance and strength will all all improve through martial arts.
• Reach and maintain your healthy weight: Due to the total-body nature of a martial arts workout, tons of calories are burned during every class. However, you’ll also find that your natural eating signals become better regulated so food cravings will disappear and you’ll eat less as a result.
• Learn self-defense skills: Unlike any other form of exercise, with martial arts you learn potentially life-saving self-defense skills at the same time you are getting in shape.
• Better self confidence: This reason tops the list. Due the goal setting, positive encouragement and respect for values that are part of all martial arts programs, the greatest benefit usually reported by martial arts students is greater self confidence. You become more comfortable in all situations – whether you’re in danger or simply doing a task that takes you beyond your comfort zone -- and you’ll discover you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.
So, those are the top four reasons why Martial Arts is the best fitness program for adults.
Here are some other important points about martial arts
If you are concerned that martial arts has great amount of emphasis on sparring or fighting, you don’t have to worry. Martial arts places no emphasis on violence, and rather stresses the importance of discipline and respect.
Instead of competition against others, the focus of martial arts tends to be competition with one’s self. Since Respect is a huge aspect of martial arts, heckling and name calling is discouraged, rendering this a great option for anyone insecure about his or her current level of fitness who would like improve their body image and health.
Separate names with a comma.